RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

switching to synthetic ATF

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 11:24 AM
wvuguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default switching to synthetic ATF

New transmission was put in my 99 RX300 about 15k miles ago. There are 132k miles on the car total. I am thinking of switching to Amsoil synthetic ATF. I am going to drain the old oil and refil with synthetic. But since draining the ATF through drain plug only partially empties it, can both synthetic and old non synthetic oil co-exist? Can it cause problems?
An other question on different topic. I noticed when I unlock the doors using the remote key, the car beeps but lights don't flash. When I lock the doors, the car neither beeps nor the lights flash but I can hear the locks click to lock. Any way I can change the behavior? I would like the lights to flash. Thanks.
Old 08-11-09, 11:38 AM
UNOHOO

not sure about the mixing of the the ATF fluids but you could do this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html

I have done it myself and its not bad at all, it allows you to change 7 out of the 9 quarts of atf
Old 08-11-09, 11:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wvuguy
New transmission was put in my 99 RX300 about 15k miles ago. There are 132k miles on the car total. I am thinking of switching to Amsoil synthetic ATF. I am going to drain the old oil and refil with synthetic. But since draining the ATF through drain plug only partially empties it, can both synthetic and old non synthetic oil co-exist? Can it cause problems?
An other question on different topic. I noticed when I unlock the doors using the remote key, the car beeps but lights don't flash. When I lock the doors, the car neither beeps nor the lights flash but I can hear the locks click to lock. Any way I can change the behavior? I would like the lights to flash. Thanks.
I think only the dealer can change the lights to flash, not flash, beep etc.As far as the fluid,not a problem.Just do at least two flushes to get as much Synthetic in their as possible.Maybe you should drop the pan as well,and make sure things are ok in their.(remember get in and get out.dont mess around)

Last edited by lexus114; 08-11-09 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-11-09, 02:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

That thing related to the doors I believe is related to the c-best settings, and the last time I checked this was something that could only be done through the dealer.

I have 140K miles on my RX300 and also changed out to Amsoil ATF within the last 10K. I did 3 drain and fills over the course of about 3 weeks, though I did it after about 100 miles of driving each time (to simulate a commute). There was no problem at all doing this, and in fact I could feel the Amsoil ATF after the first drain and fill with some way smoother shifts.

Don't forget there are two drain plugs, the front differential on the left and the tranny pan on the right, though filling up is only done through the tranny dipstick.
Attached Thumbnails switching to synthetic ATF-difftran.jpg  
Old 08-11-09, 04:45 PM
wvuguy
Driver

That helps a lot. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-12-09, 06:52 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So is there just one Amsoil ATF Synthetic, are a specific one we should look for to replace the Type IV in our vehicles?

Also, what about change interval?
Old 08-12-09, 06:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
So is there just one Amsoil ATF Synthetic, are a specific one we should look for to replace the Type IV in our vehicles?

Also, what about change interval?
Good question. There is more than one, but the Amsoil in question for our vehicles that run Type IV is this one,

Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Note on service life:

SERVICE LIFE
Recommended for 50,000 miles in severe service* and 100,000 miles in normal service;* or per vehicle manufacturer-recommended intervals, whichever is longer.

*As defined by vehicle or transmission manufacturer
TunedRX300 has gone over 50K on this, I am probably still around 10K or so since I only got it when I got back to the U.S.
Attached Thumbnails switching to synthetic ATF-img_1117.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 08-12-09 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 07:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

BTW For those newer RX-series (not the RX300) that run the Toyota WS (World Standard) ATF, there is an Amsoil ATF for that,

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atl.aspx

I should also note that at least in Florida if you are near a Murray's Speed & Custom, that is where I have seen Amsoil products (they also sell Redline oil products, too), http://www.murrayauto.com

I also saw it when I was in Bradenton, Florida at Carquest, http://www.carquest.com/
Old 08-12-09, 07:10 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Excellent...

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Good question. There is more than one, but the Amsoil in question for our vehicles that run Type IV is this one,

Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

TunedRX300 has gone over 50K on this, I am probably still around 10K or so since I only got it when I got back to the U.S.
Thanks Lex.

I went on their site, and the one they show online has a silver non-translucent bottle, but your picture looks to be a white semi-trans. bottle. Ugh...

Since I'm "high" in mileage, I'll continue to work it out at 50K or so.
Old 08-12-09, 07:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Thanks Lex.

I went on their site, and the one they show online has a silver non-translucent bottle, but your picture looks to be a white semi-trans. bottle. Ugh...

Since I'm "high" in mileage, I'll continue to work it out at 50K or so.
I saw the plastic ones when I recently went by Murray's and they also had the big gallon jugs, too, either way, it's the same stuff.
Old 08-16-09, 05:53 PM
wvuguy
Driver

Has any one used Mobil 1 synthetic atf? How is it compared to amsoil synthetic atf? Its easy for me to get Mobil 1 froml local store. Thanks.
Old 08-17-09, 06:12 AM
UNOHOO

Has any one used Mobil 1 synthetic atf? How is it compared to amsoil synthetic atf? Its easy for me to get Mobil 1 froml local store. Thanks.
is that the mobil 3309 or is that something different?
Old 08-17-09, 06:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

will work perfectly,and cheaper than Amsoil too.

oh and Wompster,he said Mobil-1 (the Synthetic fluid)
Old 08-17-09, 06:25 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by lexus114
will work perfectly,and cheaper than Amsoil too.

oh and Wompster,he said Mobil-1 (the Synthetic fluid)
I was just makin sure
Old 08-17-09, 06:27 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
I was just makin sure
No problemo! as Steve Martin once said,"were just a couple of wild and crazy guy`s!!)

Quick Reply: switching to synthetic ATF