RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rattles & Squeakk anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-02, 10:30 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattles & Squeaks anyone???

Ok, after 3500 miles in less than 3 months in my 02' RX, i am counting a lot of rattles that is getting annoying sometimes.

First i have to tell you that Taiwan's roads arent the best in the world but definitely much better than the ones in Detroit. And because this is a SUV, so i drive it like one, I usually dont slow down for speed bumps and go over rough roads without much of a caution. I never taken it off road, but i go up and down sidewalks and curbs whenever i get a chance.

Pretty soon, i started noticing small rattles around the sunroof area, than the doors especially the rightside front door which might be because of too much "Ja-Rule's" bass pumping music played at the loudest that my ear permits. Then the passenger seat makes rattles whenever i go over slightly rougher roads with no passenger in it. The most annoying of all is the thump or sharp-silent "bang" i feel and hear thru the steering wheel. This "bang" feels and sounds like its coming from the driver's front shocks, and im guessing its the shock-mount. I know im never careful in this ride as im in other normal cars, but aint a 4x4 suppose to take a lot more abuse than im given it now???!!

I will try to explain all these rattles to the dealer when i go in for my 6000 mile service and hopefully they can correct them, but i doubt they can. I owned numerous cars and have never gone to the dealer to fix anything like this. Maybe because this is a Lexus and i cant tolerate any inperfections in a Lex. My 911 is a rattle machine without even starting the engine, but i dont know why but i tolerate it and put off going to fix it.

Keep in mind im very sensitive to these itty-bitty things and these rattles might not be as pronounced if you were driving them, but i certainly notice them.
I guess, i could of babied my RX and slow down for bad roads, but then..........whats the point of getting this thing over an LS???

U guys have samiliar experiences?

Last edited by JohnsRX; 04-03-02 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-03-02, 09:51 AM
foucco
Rookie

Ah yes, our rattle traps.

I have all the same problems as you except for the bang in the steering wheel. I've taken it to the dealer 3 times and they can never reproduce it. Of course, during the test drive with the service mechanic, none of them appear - but that's life.

I just plan on taking it back as many times as it takes them to fix it. It's covered by the warranty and they always have a loaner on hand. However, I think I'm going to switch dealerships for servicing in an attempt to have the problem solved once and for all.

I too have much higher expectations for a Lexus. Glad to hear that I'm not alone.

Regarding the sunroof, my dealer seems to think that it's not parking correctly when the tilt is lowered. We experimented multiple times and it was indeed inconsistent. Try pushing on it when closed to see if there is any give. There shouldn't be according to them.

Good luck with it. I'll post a celebration reply when mine is finally rattle free!
Old 04-03-02, 09:54 AM
foucco
Rookie

Forgot to metion the loud creaking noise in the tailgate that I get on the down-side of wide bumps (exiting an elevated driveway or the down-facing side of a speed bump.

Irritating...
Old 04-03-02, 05:43 PM
dpaul
Driver School Candidate

During a drive with the wife... I rattled on & on about politics until she squeaked in a word edge-wise and said to change the subject or shut-up!

No squeaks in the RX yet ~500 miles.

I'm not surprised that the Detroit roads give the RX rattles & squeaks... those roads are the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't imagine my car on those roads... let alone the plush ride of the RX! I was born in Royal Oak, Michigan... I don't miss the salt/potholes/bad weather for 6 months/ rough roads/ grey skies.......etc!
Old 04-03-02, 06:11 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Damn royal Oak?! That brings back memories, when i was there for college in michigan, that was the place to hang out. Bars and clubs line the streets and make up that town. And yes, michigan is voted #1!!!! in the *****est roads in America, if not that world!

Originally posted by dpaul
During a drive with the wife... I rattled on & on about politics until she squeaked in a word edge-wise and said to change the subject or shut-up!

No squeaks in the RX yet ~500 miles.

I'm not surprised that the Detroit roads give the RX rattles & squeaks... those roads are the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't imagine my car on those roads... let alone the plush ride of the RX! I was born in Royal Oak, Michigan... I don't miss the salt/potholes/bad weather for 6 months/ rough roads/ grey skies.......etc!
Old 04-03-02, 06:20 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Glad to see u have some of the same rattles as me, but isnt ur car a '99?? If so, u should feel lucky u dont have more of them. My is 2.5 months old and im already having a bunch. I have to always turn up my bass in order not to notice them, but by doing so i think im slowly creating new ones.....=(

Originally posted by foucco
Ah yes, our rattle traps.

I have all the same problems as you except for the bang in the steering wheel. I've taken it to the dealer 3 times and they can never reproduce it. Of course, during the test drive with the service mechanic, none of them appear - but that's life.

I just plan on taking it back as many times as it takes them to fix it. It's covered by the warranty and they always have a loaner on hand. However, I think I'm going to switch dealerships for servicing in an attempt to have the problem solved once and for all.

I too have much higher expectations for a Lexus. Glad to hear that I'm not alone.

Regarding the sunroof, my dealer seems to think that it's not parking correctly when the tilt is lowered. We experimented multiple times and it was indeed inconsistent. Try pushing on it when closed to see if there is any give. There shouldn't be according to them.

Good luck with it. I'll post a celebration reply when mine is finally rattle free!
Old 04-03-02, 06:30 PM
CAmsRX3
Driver

John your not alone..
Just came back from a drive to NYC and the whole ride home my passenger door was rattling like a mother-f@cker

Sorry to burst your bubble but NYC is in 1st when it comes to
*****y roads..

but a little DMX or limpbizket always helps
Old 05-02-02, 01:52 PM
Nasty
Driver School Candidate

I've had my 2002 RX300 for about a month now, and I'm taking it in for rattles for the third time on Monday.

The first visit I got an unexpected "no problems found." I wouldn't have expected that from a Lexus dealer.

The 2nd trip they gave me a good guy that managed to fix the noisy AC Compressor and a few of the rattles, but the rattle in the passenger door has returned.

I told them today that if they couldn't fix it after this trip, I wanted to talk to someone about getting a new car. Obviously, no one buys a Lexus and expects rattles!
Old 05-02-02, 06:55 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

U sound like a perfectionist, good luck getting a new car though. 'Cause i think all cars come with rattles. And lexus is no different.

Originally posted by Nasty
I've had my 2002 RX300 for about a month now, and I'm taking it in for rattles for the third time on Monday.
I told them today that if they couldn't fix it after this trip, I wanted to talk to someone about getting a new car. Obviously, no one buys a Lexus and expects rattles!
Old 06-30-02, 08:50 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 1999 and about 6 months ago I began hearing some pretty serious sounding rattles (I use the term lightly) coming from the front right (looking out the windshield) wheel area under the hood. It sounds like it may be shock absorber related since it ONLY happens going over fairly rough patches of road. Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what this might be?
Old 07-02-02, 11:51 AM
foucco
Rookie

I have a new one that sounds like your problem, but it's on the left side. At first I assumed it was my collection of quarters in the change compartment, but removed them and still have the problem. It's only been there for a month. I wonder what they do with those CPO cars anyway? They seem perfect for the first week that you have them, then they start to get noisy. They must over-lube everthing at the dealership and we get what it sounded like before they did it.

Well, at least they're very responsive to rattle complaints. If nothing else, I get to play with a loaner for a day or two.

Ciao,

Mike
Old 07-02-02, 04:21 PM
lexian
Driver School Candidate

Post rx300 rattle noise

I just stopped by lexus yesterday for the first service, and this lady has a pretty new rx300, I would say at least 2001, and she asked the service lady there, 'have you fixed the rattle noice where the speaker is?. So, I guess this rattling noice does exist on every rx300, not just a few. I am wondering why don't they fix the problem, at on the nex new generation of rx, instead keep producing the new car with the same problem. About the shock noice, it happens on the camry, and corrolla too. I am expecting a better quality when you buy a lexus, but these noises are very annoying, feeling like you driving a cheap car. Sometimes, I feel like the more you bring your car in for service, the worse the car will get, because I am afraid the mechanics themselve will create the problem to the car so you can bring it back for services. One time I brought in a corrolla for service, this is toyota not lexus, and I did mark all of the parts such as battery, alternator, starter, etc. I don't know what the mechanic fixed, but he came out and said he replaced the alternator, so I asked him that i wanted the old one back, and he came in, took a crappy one somewhere and gave it to me. I looked the one in my car and it was the one i secretly marked....it was a long story; just be careful when you bring your car in. I personally find that the more you bring it in , the more problem you will have; find a dealer that you trust is not easy at all; it is better to find someone who has history of their service there for reference.
Old 07-02-02, 04:51 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Well. My main concern is not so much that it makes the "sound" but that it's a safety issue. It sounds like there's problem with the front end suspension components and I worry about that since I plan to give this car to my Wife when the new GX470 comes out. There's gotta be some reason for that noise, and it's beyond just a rattle, more like clunk. Anyway, I made an appointment for next week after we get back from vacation and hopefully they will not just say "no problem found" as they seem to do so often with rattles...
Old 07-13-02, 02:55 PM
p1fcl01
Rookie

I knew I wasn't crazy about the strut noise and I knew it was a problem but no one has really realized or heard it.

See my thread from earlier this year:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=40482

The front strut was replace 3 times in a year and just 2 month ago I had the Lexus rep check my car's rear struts and they were also replaced.

Now my warranty is over hopefully nothing goes wrong, I don't know if I'll buy another Lexus!!!!
Old 07-13-02, 05:19 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Originally posted by p1fcl01
Now my warranty is over hopefully nothing goes wrong, I don't know if I'll buy another Lexus!!!!
LOL. You obviously have never owned a new American car! They would have made YOU pay for all three sets of struts. Believe me, I know... Been down that road many times with our American cars. They don't pay for squat and it's always the customers fault...

I also wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them replace them for free even if you car is OUT of warranty. That's how important it is to them to have customer satisfaction.

FWIW, I took my RX in yesterday and the service rep immediately said that he suspected the Shock mounts or Struts and that there would be no charge for the repair. He also gave us a loaner and offered to have somebody drop off our RX TO OUR HOUSE when it's done and pick up the loaner from us. I'm still shocked by the level of service out dealership provides.

Quick Reply: Rattles & Squeakk anyone???