RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

fwd offroading?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-09, 04:45 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fwd offroading?

not really "offroading" more like a dirt trail. but hey wasn't a road so i'll take it

any body else take their FWD 300 off the paved streets?
Old 05-30-09, 06:26 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ha ha... come on, it wasn't paved, but it's still a road. A fwd Kia could have made that same run with no problems. If you were expecting some excitement or failure of the fwd on that road, you gotta be kidding... the road didn't even look like it had many loose rocks.
Old 05-30-09, 07:28 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

haha its really not bad. which is why i went on it. those are only the places i stopped to take pictures. there are parts where its very narrow (only 1 car can fit) with a very steep drop to the lake on the right and the hill on the left. there really isnt any problem with fwd but deep in indian country (im pretty sure its a reservation) with no cell service and with out parents knowing where i was im not taking any chances with mud, rocks etc
Old 05-30-09, 08:52 PM
dragular
Driver School Candidate

took my FWD RX on worst roads than that. Was exploring an Island in the caribbean and we found a path to a remote beach. The road or path as i should call it was covered entirely in loose rocks and grass. It was also very steep with a cliff edge. Had to really take my time goind down because the RX was sliding all the way. After snorkeling in one of the most pristine & beautiful reefs in the world, i had to drive back up the cliff. I got alot of wheel spin like if i were in snow but i made it. Some cars that went down there could not make it back up and a land rover had to tow them up. Everyone thought i was 4x4 lol
Old 05-30-09, 10:15 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dragular
took my FWD RX on worst roads than that. Was exploring an Island in the caribbean and we found a path to a remote beach. The road or path as i should call it was covered entirely in loose rocks and grass. It was also very steep with a cliff edge. Had to really take my time goind down because the RX was sliding all the way. After snorkeling in one of the most pristine & beautiful reefs in the world, i had to drive back up the cliff. I got alot of wheel spin like if i were in snow but i made it. Some cars that went down there could not make it back up and a land rover had to tow them up. Everyone thought i was 4x4 lol

good to see it holds up alright. i didnt go for the sole purpose of offroading. i had to take pictures for school. so this was just a plus
Old 05-31-09, 07:41 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Look's like fun, great shots. I've got the AWD, but it's never seen any dirt YET!
Old 05-31-09, 11:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Nice shots, where is that located?
Old 05-31-09, 11:28 AM
bkr300
Lead Lap

thanks for the compliments on the pictures.

lexmex: it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. the lake and dam is the sutherland resorvoir. inbetween ramona and julian i believe
Old 05-31-09, 07:07 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pictures for sure. Nice lighting and shutter settings. I was more impressed with the pictures than the terrain. I see you smudged your first picture the plates, but then the others you either did not care, or forgot... "4Z0S0000" California plates, I'M COMING AFTER YOU !!!! ha ha.

I've been guilty also of blacking out the plates on my pictures... like what, people are going to run my plates and come looking for me?
Old 05-31-09, 07:14 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

ya at first i was like :O people might stalk. but im too lazy to block all them and its not like i have some s2k that everyone wants to steal.
Old 05-31-09, 08:25 PM
Privacy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice off roading shots!
pretty little car you have there, i have the same looking one with AWD
Im probably one of the few crazy enough to really off road my lexus but I do
and let me tell you it really handles it well besides the suspension being to soft but Im talking trying to do medium speed rock crawling here..something most people in jeep wranglers wont do
the only time my AWD really was handy so far
was Snow
Rain
towing
and One time I was going up a hill to test the limits of the car at a near 45 degree angle in Grass and dirt and it MADE it on the first try and its only because of the AWD
fantastik little cars we have!!
they are truely the little cars that could, maybe not the fastest or the strongest but for me its the most versatile
Luxury soft quiet ride, Reliable quality. Great towing ability. Great comfort. Great off road handling. Great acceleration. Great visibility. Great everything to me.
Ive looked for other cars to sell mine for. I cant find any other besides the other RX models 330's and 350's id sell mine for without having to compromise.