RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

How are our tires in the rain???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-02, 06:12 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are our tires in the rain???

Do u trust your tires driving fast in the rain?? I think i have bridgestones on my AWD/VSC which is only 2+months old. Since it rains pretty often here, i got to test them somewhat. I purposefully drive faster in the rain and do lots of left and right manuvers and find that they stick pretty well. Others think im crazy when im the fastest guy on the road when it rains, but for some odd reason i love to go crazy when all others are being cautious. I also found out because of the vehicles weight, when im going thru deep puddles, the car doesnt wonder into other lanes, but still scary nonetheless. Hydroplane isn't so fun when ur going 60mph+. Braking in the rain also activates the ABS frequently. Fast U-turns in the rain actually cuts down our terrible turning radius.

After playing in the rain, i think our tires are semi-trustworthy........what do u guys think and experience????

Forgot to add that the AWD and VSC also seem to help on these spirited drives, especially when im doing those stupid U-turns. But besides that i cant really "feel" they are doing their job which is good i think. Wwest probably would give me ***** by saying its not working at all and its because of my schumi driving skills that im not dead yet!!=)

Last edited by JohnsRX; 03-25-02 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-28-02, 02:58 AM
RDANG54
Driver School Candidate

Default trust?..hmmm

No..not really. i had bridestone dueler HTs.. going about 60 mphmaybe more? made a right turn..kinda of a 50-60degree right turn? my tailend came up from behind and i went thru the turn sideways..kinda like a drift.. i regained control after a couple turns of the steering wheel. crazy stuff. friends in the other cars were laughing like crazy when they seeing a RX SUV coming thru a turn, drifting.

so...not that much trust. changed my tires since..got michelens now..
Old 03-28-02, 06:25 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: trust?..hmmm

Really that must be scary, do u have AWD?? I would suspect u do, because with a front drive RX u shouldnt do that. I had a pathfinder before with dunlops and everytime when the road is slightly wet and when im in 2wd mode, i can go sideways everytime i turn if i wish. I always have to put it on 4x4 mode to cut down the fun. Hope this doesnt happen on my Rx when the tires get old.

Originally posted by RDANG54
No..not really. i had bridestone dueler HTs.. going about 60 mphmaybe more? made a right turn..kinda of a 50-60degree right turn? my tailend came up from behind and i went thru the turn sideways..kinda like a drift.. i regained control after a couple turns of the steering wheel. crazy stuff. friends in the other cars were laughing like crazy when they seeing a RX SUV coming thru a turn, drifting.

so...not that much trust. changed my tires since..got michelens now..
Old 03-29-02, 12:15 AM
RDANG54
Driver School Candidate

Default AWD..

YEs, i have AWD.. its crazy though, i didnt think my lexus would lose control like that. crazy crazy crazy. hmm.. tires do feel so much better though. MIchelins are really good. better than those duelers HTs.