RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

VSC Trac Off Check Engine light on?

Old 05-26-09, 08:28 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC Trac Off Check Engine light on?

Does anyone know what it might be before I bring it in to check? I did unplug the battery to clean the terminals last week. It drove fine to the destination. But when I went home, the following three lights came on while I was driving: VSC, Trac off, Check Engine light.

What could it be? Do you think if I unplugged the battery, will it reset the computer error codes?

Much thanks everyone.
Old 05-26-09, 11:08 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

You need to have the error codes read by a device called OBDII ... auto shops like AutoZone can read the codes to you.

Removing the battery wipes some codes out, but then you have to drive a bit to get them back in the system [Although you may be tempted to eliminate the lights in the dash, I would still suggest that you get them read before trying to reset them].

Just make sure your gas cap is on properly.

Post the error codes here and some can then help decipher it for you.

Salim
Old 05-27-09, 03:54 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

All three of those lights always come on for every "check engine" alert. Disconnecting the battery has never caused a "check engine" alert for me, so that could be a coincidence. Some people have reported "check engine" alerts from the gas cap not being tight enough, or an air hose in the engine compartment coming loose, but for me, it has always been the failure of one of the three O2/air flow sensors.
Old 05-27-09, 07:28 AM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

thx... I'll swing by the auto parts place to see if they can see the error codes for me this weekend. I'll let you guys know what they see.

THX
Old 05-27-09, 08:42 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Hi fellas,

I just came back from my friend's tireshop and he hooked up a OBDII device and error codes came up as 1150 + 1130. He mentioned something called "bank 1 and bank 2"? He said something like air oxygen sensor? I thought he said O2 sensor, but I may be wrong. I bought a new gas cap at Lexus initially today but that didn't work. He cleared the codes on his device but he said it may come back. Does anyone know how much that air sensor "thing" cost? I was thinking of asking Carson Lexus. He said he can do it for much less than at the dealership. What is my ballpark price range going to cost? Much thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-09, 10:50 PM
salimshah

I hope I did not mislead you into purchasing the gas cap. My suggestion to check yours [without knowing the actual codes] was based on No cost, least effort wild guess.

Do a search with those codes for Rx and you will find the source of the problem.

Do not hurry in purchasing the sensors. Check them out first by measuring ohmage and verify that they are out of spec. Only then buy a new one. There can be problem with wires and connectors. [typically the sensors go bad, but once purchased and installed, you will not be able to return them.]

I would highly recommend OEM sensors.

I hope some one can post the failing sensor and the spec ohmage of a good one.

Salim

ps: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/sk...3914_00_rx.pdf
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-vsc-etc.html

Last edited by salimshah; 05-27-09 at 11:03 PM. Reason: ps
Old 05-27-09, 11:27 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

No worries. It's just a gas cap. At least the seal is new.

I searched some previous thread so I hope others can chime in with feedback. I'm guessing it'll be at least $500 for parts/labor because it PITA to reach back there somewhere to replace the sensor?

Originally Posted by salimshah
I hope I did not mislead you into purchasing the gas cap. My suggestion to check yours [without knowing the actual codes] was based on No cost, least effort wild guess.

Do a search with those codes for Rx and you will find the source of the problem.

Do not hurry in purchasing the sensors. Check them out first by measuring ohmage and verify that they are out of spec. Only then buy a new one. There can be problem with wires and connectors. [typically the sensors go bad, but once purchased and installed, you will not be able to return them.]

I would highly recommend OEM sensors.

I hope some one can post the failing sensor and the spec ohmage of a good one.

Salim

ps: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/sk...3914_00_rx.pdf
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-vsc-etc.html
Old 05-28-09, 12:36 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierRX300
Hi fellas,

I just came back from my friend's tireshop and he hooked up a OBDII device and error codes came up as 1150 + 1130. He mentioned something called "bank 1 and bank 2"? He said something like air oxygen sensor? I thought he said O2 sensor, but I may be wrong. I bought a new gas cap at Lexus initially today but that didn't work. He cleared the codes on his device but he said it may come back. Does anyone know how much that air sensor "thing" cost? I was thinking of asking Carson Lexus. He said he can do it for much less than at the dealership. What is my ballpark price range going to cost? Much thanks in advance.
Harrier- The original Denso's (which I would STRONGLY recommend) list for around $225. to $250. each for the parts so anyone who changes them for you is going to charge you quite a bit more than $500. including labor. They can be purchased online from a Lexus dealer for $150. each. I would strongly suggest you are sure that you need them before you buy. I don't think they will be returnable. Are all the hoses and connections in place? I am betting that they didn't both go bad at the same time, but that the problem is something else. Just because those codes come up (indicating the same problem on both sensors) Does NOT mean the sensors are bad, and I'm betting it's too much of a coincidence that both are showing the same trouble code. Save yourself some money and make certain before you buy!
Old 05-28-09, 11:38 AM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Hi Code,

Thanks for the advice. I haven't bought anything yet and I know now that it's probably non returnable. Everything is fine so far and no check engine light is on now.

salimshah's .pdf file is amazing! It has such detail on the error codes.

Since both codes came up, could the problem be elsewhere? Computer diagnostics are pretty dead on in suggesting problem areas?

Otherwise, cars running fine now... thx
Old 05-28-09, 01:59 PM
salimshah

pdf seems to be lift from RX300 service manual. [I just searched it].

If you have access to the OBDII reader, try hooking it up. You may have pending codes [not accumulated enough time to light up the CEL]. Also at times, one error code makes other codes to pop-up .. so it is better to clear and if possible grab the first error code.

Salim
Old 05-28-09, 03:15 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Thx. I'll see if I have access to the OBDII reader next time. In the mean time, much thanks for the info from everyone. I hope this thread informs others as it did for me.
Old 05-29-09, 01:33 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierRX300
Hi Code,

Thanks for the advice. I haven't bought anything yet and I know now that it's probably non returnable. Everything is fine so far and no check engine light is on now.

salimshah's .pdf file is amazing! It has such detail on the error codes.

Since both codes came up, could the problem be elsewhere? Computer diagnostics are pretty dead on in suggesting problem areas?

Otherwise, cars running fine now... thx
Thank God for OBDII and scanners, or we would have no idea how to fix the complex cars today. Having said that, in reference to the bold, sometimes yes, sometimes no! There's still a lot you need to know, because sometimes the code is like a laser pointing directly to the problem and sometimes it's like a road sign 200 miles from your destination, only giving you the general direction to go. That's what's so great about the GOOD online resources we have access to. If we are willing to spend the time digging and educating ourselves, the net most of the time will lead us to where we need to go. But at a price, that being our time (sometimes many, many hours) and the ability to separate the the GOOD from the NOT SO GOOD.
Old 06-23-09, 09:00 AM
TonyO
Rookie

I think the VSC Check Engine light is universal accross all Lexus models. I have a GS 430 that did the same thing. My mechanic pin pointed it down to a bad heat unit in one of the oxygen sensors. I have 86K on the odometer, he said by this point its wise to replace all 4 of them since they should be replaced at 100K miles anyway. I'm using the unversal type for replacements. He replaced the oxygen sensors on my Escalade last year using universal ones with no problem so I'll go with universals again for the Lex.
Old 03-12-16, 04:36 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a 2003 Rx-300 that just threw the TRAC OFF and VSC indicators today w/ Check Engine too,

I checked carefully for loose hoses around the air filter and everywhere and do not see anything loose or disconnected. Hoses are old so maybe cracked?

I have not had the codes read yet, but w/ a car 13 yrs+ may it possibly need all the O2 sensors replaced? Anyone have an estimated cost for that pls.

TIA

Last edited by parula; 03-14-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 12:30 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Get the code(s) read before doing anything. Actually, I would just clear the code and see if it even comes back. Sometimes these things will throw one for something like the after cat O2 sensor or gas cap, and you can clear it and never see it again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VSC Trac Off Check Engine light on?