RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Smelly Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 08:58 PM
lexdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smelly Car

A couple weeks ago me a few buddies took a fishin / campin trip up in the Rockies It was a blast but it left a pretty fowl odor in my car. I detailed it for hours on end and still the smell lingers. I tried using those spray deodorizers you buy from retail stores but as soon as the deodorizer evaporates the smell is back.

Was wondering if you guy had any suggestions on how to get rid of the stink
Old 12-02-08, 09:44 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Try keeping the RX out in the sun and throw couple of sheets of Bounce.

You may like to shampoo the carpet/floor-mats.

Salim
Old 12-02-08, 09:53 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
Try keeping the RX out in the sun and throw couple of sheets of Bounce.

You may like to shampoo the carpet/floor-mats.
Good advice
Old 12-03-08, 01:53 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexdog
A couple weeks ago me a few buddies took a fishin / campin trip up in the Rockies It was a blast but it left a pretty fowl odor in my car. I detailed it for hours on end and still the smell lingers. I tried using those spray deodorizers you buy from retail stores but as soon as the deodorizer evaporates the smell is back.

Was wondering if you guy had any suggestions on how to get rid of the stink
You said you tried the spray deodorizers but you didn't say what kind. Did you try the Fabreeze? I have found it to be pretty effective. Course with that fishin/campin guy smell that may never be overcome! Look at it on the bright side, If you're married, you'll have the car all to yourself,she won't ever want to use it again.
Old 12-03-08, 02:54 AM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Try cleaning out the cabin filter too. Since you went fishing, some moisture may have gotten on to the filter, which can cause mildew and bad smells.
Old 12-03-08, 06:19 AM
UNOHOO

ok heres the only way ive ever found to completely get rid of bad car smells

back when i was just out of high school i was at this party with a bunch of friends, he was all drunk and climbed into my ford bronco 2 and had sex with some drunk chick in the back, they passed out and then he puked all over her which in turn made her puke all over, i even puked on another occasion in that car all over the dash but anyway, he cleaned and cleaned and cleaned but the smell wouldnt go away until summertime. I delivered pizzas back then and always drove with all the windows down. So a combination of heat and constant fresh air solved that problem after like 2 months. I'm sure that that puke smell 3 times over is worse than what you have too. Good luck.
Old 12-03-08, 06:37 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO

back when i was just out of high school i was at this party with a bunch of friends, he was all drunk and climbed into my ford bronco 2 and had sex with some drunk chick in the back, they passed out and then he puked all over her which in turn made her puke all over, i even puked on another occasion in that car all over the dash but anyway, he cleaned and cleaned and cleaned but the smell wouldnt go away until summertime. I delivered pizzas back then and always drove with all the windows down. So a combination of heat and constant fresh air solved that problem after like 2 months. I'm sure that that puke smell 3 times over is worse than what you have too. Good luck.
That`s on the verge of a little toooo much information bro. know what i`m sayin

Last edited by lexus114; 12-03-08 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-03-08, 06:58 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

It's always a friend that did it...
Old 12-03-08, 07:17 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by lexus114
That`s on the verge of a little toooo much information bro. know what i`m sayin
well i figured if i didnt give a decent explanation then i would get, well why did you have puke all up in your car? also i figured if i gave more information about the puke that it would provide insight as to how horrible the smell was....vodka and pizza.....ewwwwww....
Old 12-03-08, 07:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

well i figured if i didnt give a decent explanation then i would get, well why did you have puke all up in your car? also i figured if i gave more information about the puke that it would provide insight as to how horrible the smell was....vodka and pizza.....ewwwwww....
it`s okay man,we still love you.
Old 12-03-08, 07:42 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Steam clean the carpet.
Old 12-03-08, 08:36 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by lexus114
it`s okay man,we still love you.
LOL sweeeeeeet....
Old 12-03-08, 03:25 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

An area that is often overlooked are the heater/AC coils. I was a regional manager for a company and I insisted we detail our cars regularly because we often ended up hauling customers. When a salesman left I detailed his car in the driveway before reassigning it - did a nice job too, until I turned on the AC a couple of days later.

Obviously this guy never paid more than 35 cents for a cigar in his life, and the stench of that cheap cigar was all over the AC coil and ductwork. It was almost impossible to sit in the car with the windows up and the AC running. We ended up trading the car because we couldn't get the smell out.

I've since found a product that will kill almost ANY odor - called KnockOut. A friend was a vendor for this product for several years and used it in burned homes to remove the smell of smoke. I used it in my stepmother's home to remove some pretty objectionable odors quickly and easily. Pulled the filter and sprayed into the AC intake with the system running it reached odors trapped on the coils. It isn't oily and will evaporate completely with no residue.

More at:
http://www.knockoutodors.com/
Old 12-03-08, 04:45 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

ya there really wasnt a need for that first bit
Old 12-03-08, 08:17 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Lexdog, you probably have already checked this, but I'll tell you what happened to me. My daughter's car developed a terrible smell a couple of months after we bought it used -- like a rotting corpse. I knew THAT wasn't it, and the car was so spotless. I couldn't figure it out, so I thought I might as well make sure the carpets were extra clean. As I moved the passenger seat forward, I saw a styrofoam leftover food container. Inside was what used to be part of a filet, but now it was covered with a lot of green fuzz. I put it there when we went out to eat and forgot about it. The smell disappeared after a few days, fortunately. Any chance there's some of your catch still under the seat? Maybe part of a Big Mac from your travels? For simplicity's sake, I hope that's the problem. Look around carefully if you haven't already! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Smelly Car