RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

SC430 impressions from an RX owner (SUPER LONG)!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-02, 07:25 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 impressions from an RX owner (SUPER LONG)!!

OK, dont ask me how i manage this, but it took a very nice and kind SC430 owner to pull this off. This is in taiwan, and as some of u know taiwan only has 8 SC430s TOTAL. And my friend owns the only one in southern Taiwan. On friday, i drove all the way from Taipei to Tainan in my one month old RX to see these car guys. One has a SLK and the other the SC.

First, i drove the SLK, admired the new mono-tone color and its hardtop operation. Nice interior and everything. Drove it with the top down and was impressed by its low end torque. Then came the SC's turn, the car is silver with a slight gold hint to it. Its absolutely beautiful and the black interior looks so nice(although i hate black interiors). The top came down and we are still admiring its lines. Starting the engine emits a M5 like Vrrooommm as it fires. I look at the wheels which i think is totally ugly and tells the owner he needs 19" lowenharts and he says the run flats has special sensors that needs to be connected, so how do u guys go about that?? As i familiar myself in the driver seat and admiring its hi-grade but black interior. My RX's beige interior looks much better in this dark a night.

It was around 10 and traffic in Tainan city is still dense. As i pull out from its space and on to the first road, every taiwanese on scooters was looking down on me and gawking. PRICELESS!! Finally we found a long empty stretch and the owner insists me to punch it. I floored it and the automatic dropped 2 gears and i was at 140kmh instantly. Its been almost 6 months now since i drive something that has 300hp, so the push in the back feeling was so good i almost forgot about my 380hp 911 turbo in L.A. I was so impressed with the car and the SHOW-OFF factor, i asked the most selfish question in the world......."Can i drive this back to Taipei for a couple of days??"......Owner:"Sure!! I can just drive yours now right??".....Me: (DAMN!!!I love this guy....uhhhhh.....car)

Tainan to Taipei is a 260km drive that normally takes 4 hours due to heavy traffic. I dont remember how fast i got home because i was enjoying blowing away tuned Civics, WRXs, and Brabus Benzs. We have lots of crazy a$$ drivers here at night, so i had lots of fun. When i got to taipei, it was well pass midnight but i still cruised around downtown untill very early. Of course everyone was staring at me or is it the car?? Girls go crazy when im in this thing.

I reached the conclusion........:"IT IS THE CAR, NOT YOU!!!" And because this is a NEW convertible, i get more stares and compliments than when im in my porsche. Definitely got to get one of these. In the second morning, in the bright sun near Taiwan American School, my **** grew another 5 inches when i drove this thing in very heavy traffic blasting my DMX, flashing my glass-less rolex.........life cant get any better than this. Of course i have the mandatory hot sexy babe with long hair on my right...........awwwwwww.......life is definitely good. After 400 miles in this car and a detailed wash inside and out, in race mode and slow mode, i can say i know all about this car. It is absolutely perfect in Taiwan's NYC like environment. Even with its after WTO price tag here of US$86,000 its absolutely cheap compared to the nearest competitor, 500SL at $133,000!!! Both of these cars are on major back-order and i'll take the SC just because it has more room in the back to hold my jacket or tissue boxes.

But i did notice some downsides of this car..........
1. Suspension is a little soft for my tastes, but 19s will take care of that.
2. The 300hp V8 doesnt really feel that fast??!! It felt quick when i came from the RX300, but maybe after i got used to it it doesnt feel that fast.
3. the exhaust needs to be changed to blitz or something to match my show-off character.=)

THATS IT!! No other down sides!! I own some nice cars in my young life, but this got to be among one of the most desirable. I am currently convincing mom to trade my RX for this SC in taiwan. I thought about getting this in the states, but it just doesnt have the BLING BLING factor in L.A. And did i mention taiwan only have 8 of these!! And all the while when im driving it, i never saw another SC430. Unlike my RX, which i see atleast 10 everyday!
The SC is a very nice car, i recommend it to all potential owners and i gurrantee none of you will ever regret buying it. Consider its, price/power/performance/show factors, nothing comes close right now!

And after i climb back to my RX, the truck is nice and all, but why is the wind noise much louder than the SC when in coupe mode?? The lexus people really out done themselves this time....

Thanks for listening,

John.

Last edited by JohnsRX; 02-24-02 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-25-02, 04:13 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Still looks blobby and vaguely vegetable-like to me. Give me the grace and majesty of the first generation SC. I love my GS, but I miss my SC.
Old 02-26-02, 12:51 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look something out of a alien movie to me, but where can u find a 300hp hartop convertible at $60K in the states that comes close to this cars presence??..........................................I cant.

Originally posted by mooretorque
Still looks blobby and vaguely vegetable-like to me. Give me the grace and majesty of the first generation SC. I love my GS, but I miss my SC.