RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

should i get an rx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-02, 09:53 PM
C to the O
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool should i get an rx?

what's up guys..

i'm currently driving a '96 gs300, but am interested in an rx300. i live in chicago, so it made sense to me to get an suv that drives like a car. i know very little about the rx, so i'm looking for any tips or advice i can get from rx owners. i'd appreciate any help guys... thanx

-coco
Old 02-20-02, 10:02 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I'd gladly give you much information on the RX (biased info of course ). But, it is late and I must go to sleep. If you can think of any specific questions, or other SUV's to compare it to, just post some ideas to throw around.

-Nick
Old 02-21-02, 02:57 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: should i get an rx?

See my initial review here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&goto=newpost

Since then i have driven it for 1500miles in a month and i have to say im very satisfied with it. But definitely wait until the new RX comes out, maybe in 03' or 04'.

Originally posted by C to the O
what's up guys..

i'm currently driving a '96 gs300, but am interested in an rx300. i live in chicago, so it made sense to me to get an suv that drives like a car. i know very little about the rx, so i'm looking for any tips or advice i can get from rx owners. i'd appreciate any help guys... thanx

-coco

Last edited by JohnsRX; 02-21-02 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-21-02, 03:56 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Why not go to the dealer and take a demo home for the weekend? You'd learn a great deal very quickly about the RX.
Old 02-21-02, 11:14 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default RX?

RX known flaws

Poor, almost non-existent AWD implementation. Chrysler T&C AWD implementation could be used as a standard which is a shame considering this is a LEXUS we're talking about. You would be better off buying the ML320 especially now that the RX has a known flaw in the engine.

GPS Nav is so flawed as to be completely untrustworthy, you can't know when to trust it and when to not so its best not to trust it ever. There is also an issue of Lexus promising Nav updates to new purchasers "subject to change without notice" and then NEVER delivering.

Considering this is being sold as an SUV the climate control should be considered especially flawed, it will automatically switch to cooling mode, even in the dead of winter with the OAT at -20 and dark out, EXTREMELY discomforting.

And you'll have to be on your toes to act to PREVENT windshield fogging becuase once it happens no one ever taught Lexus engineers about condensation and "state changes", the amount of BTUs needed to remove condensation once it forms.

To prevent or remove windshield condensation they use the A/C system EXCLUSIVELY to dehumdify the windshield airflow, that airflow will sometimes be as much as 20F below the cabin setpoint, usually making matters worse until the operator figures out for him/herself how to overcome the problem. Flick the temperature control clockwise to "MAX HEAT".

Oh, you'll need to install an aftermarket accessory to prevent the growth of (toxic?) mold and mildew within the A/C evaporator plenum. Since Lexus relies on the exclusive use of the A/C for clearing the windshield they needed to extend the temperature range within which that was viable. So to improve its efficiency dramatically the A/C evaporator is so very dense and complex it acts as a sponge, retaining over a pint of water for more than a 24 hour period in an open bay in my tests.

The aftermarket device is at

http://www.airsept.com/eed.html

Last edited by willard west; 02-21-02 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-21-02, 11:25 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

Hey Willard. What are the AWD differences between the Merc and Lexus systems. I just found out my 2000 has the optional lsd rear and I'm happy about that. And how do you know the Merc doesn't have the same climate control problems and the Lexus?
Old 02-21-02, 11:36 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default ML320

Vehicles of european manufacture, predominantly, will flood the windshield surface with HOT airflow on the hottest day of summer, or the coldest day of winter. That's what the 996 does and all of the MBs I have test driven including the ML.

The ML series has a FIXED torque distribution front to rear, Your LSD helps, but only gets to distribute about 5% of the engine torque unless the VC has tightened.
Old 02-21-02, 11:48 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

Default Re: ML320

Does the ML have lsd across the frt or back wheels? If not, then you can only get maybe 50% max to each one of the tires vs getting more torque to the wheels that are getting traction. Yes the vc will only transfer power after the liquid is agitated enough but it's effective and is seamless in operation.

Originally posted by willard west

The ML series has a FIXED torque distribution front to rear, Your LSD helps, but only gets to distribute about 5% of the engine torque unless the VC has tightened.
Old 02-21-02, 12:01 PM
willard west
Pole Position

Default Loyal to Lexus

Would you believe me if I said I do this because I am extremely loyal to Lexus?

It's true, I would sincerely like, sometime in the very near future, to be able to buy an RX300 that has:

an AWD system at least equivalent to the Chrysler T&C.

A climate control system that is more "aware" of overall human body comfort. It is very discomforting to have this thing switch to cooling mode in the dead of winter.

A climate control system that has more faith that I, as the operator, have good and sound reasons for activating the Defrost/defog/demist function, and instead of half-*** measures, instantly blasts the interior surfrace of the windshield with HOT airflow and allows me to moderate the heating level if I so desire.

Has some sort of method designed into the climate control to evacuate the mositure remaining within the A/C evaporator plenum when the trapped mositure from previsou A/C operation begins to evaporate into the A/C plenum. That would prevent the growth of (potentially toxic) mold and mildew and eliminate that horrid odor. It would also serve to substantially reduce the instances of sudden windshield fogging in the morning and much more importantly, while one is driving along.

I don't really care one way or another about their fixing the nav, I'll never buy another one anyway. Portable are so much more functional.
Old 02-21-02, 12:22 PM
Chan
Driver School Candidate

Knowing that the remodel is coming. We still got an 02 RX300 yesterday. Very satisfied with the the RX. Now, who can recommend me some aftermarket HIDs?
Old 02-21-02, 03:35 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

C to the O, if you're still around, just ignore WWest. He's been clouding this board for a while with his rantings about the RX AWD system. He's a very pessemistic person and constantly compares the ML and Chrysler Minivan's to the RX. The ML is known for it's poor reliability and build quality, but he doesn't see that yet.

Like mooretorque said, take one home. That is the best way to see what you do and don't like.

-Nick
Old 02-21-02, 03:54 PM
willard west
Pole Position

Default take two.

I've taken two home, a 2000 AWD in late 99 which I traded in on the 2001 AWD with VSC, TRAC, and HID. Got the useless nav only because it was "packaged" with the HID.

The early MLs were known for their poor reliability and that's one of the reasons I didn't even consider it when I bought the AWD RX, well knowing that it was predominantly FWD, 70/30 normally said my salesman. Turns out that's about the best it can ever do, 70/30.

It appears to me that MB, at least, learns something from their past mistakes, I wonder if that will happen with Toyota/LEXUS over the sludging issue.

If history is any judge they will first try to ignore the matter.

Now I wonder how much of a hit I might take on a trade-in for an ML...
Old 02-21-02, 06:04 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: take two.

Dont know if u ever read the book, "Lexus and the olive tree" it shows how stubborned lexus is after quality. You look like u really use your ride to go off-road. And u mention u have cold winters. Maybe u should go with the ML, its much more rugged, but i gurantee the japanese has a better AC system. I never go off road so my AWD is there when im going crazy or it helps me waste more gas and i do clean the inside of my windows once a month to prevent fogging too frequently, u should try it. If u compare the ML and RX with 4 dr sedans of the same money, both have terrible handling, terrible brakes, bad acceleration, bad gas mileage. But the RX has a much better ride and handles better than a ML320. I would much rather bought the Benz just because of its name, nothing more. But after driving the ML for an extended period of time, im so glad i got the RX.

I've taken two home, a 2000 AWD in late 99 which I traded in on the 2001 AWD with VSC, TRAC, and HID. Got the useless nav only because it was "packaged" with the HID.

The early MLs were known for their poor reliability and that's one of the reasons I didn't even consider it when I bought the AWD RX, well knowing that it was predominantly FWD, 70/30 normally said my salesman. Turns out that's about the best it can ever do, 70/30.

It appears to me that MB, at least, learns something from their past mistakes, I wonder if that will happen with Toyota/LEXUS over the sludging issue.

Old 02-21-02, 06:07 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Default Re: take two.

I've taken two home, a 2000 AWD in late 99 which I traded in on the 2001 AWD with VSC...

I didn't mean for YOU to take one home, I was referring to what mooretorque suggested for "C to the O".

As for the hit you will take trading in for an ML, the bulk of that will come a few years after ownership

-Nick
Old 02-22-02, 03:58 PM
C to the O
Pole Position

hey guys...

thanx for the info... i really am interested in the rx and i will take your advice and take one home for the weekend. there's only one thing that bothers me... i was talking to a couple guys in my electronics lab today... and one of them said (i couldn't believe he said this...) that the rx was a girl car!!! understand that i would never get a car or not get a car just because of some stupid statement like that... but it is a bit perplexing... any thoughts?

-coco

Quick Reply: should i get an rx?