RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

should i get an rx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-02, 04:52 PM
bioart
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard the same, and it was a bit disturbing at first, but I do love the car

I think any luxury suv that doesn't look like a land rover or humvee will be denoted as a ladies car because of the "finese", but I don't care, I want "finese" too
Art
Old 02-22-02, 05:00 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I've heard the same, but who cares, if you like it? Seems to me all the RX owners on CL are guys. i think it's more of a "techy" type car...I love gadgets, so the RX is perfect for me. The LCD screen is one of my favorite features!

-Nick
Old 02-24-02, 09:24 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Exclamation My 2 cents........

Although I don't personally own an RX, I have had the opportunity to "live with" / drive for periods at a time and can therefore say that it is possibly THE BEST ALL-ROUND SUV there ever was, ever is and ever will be. The greatest trait of this vehicle lies in it's tidy exterior dimensions and makes it a blast to drive. And the RX's overall compactness not only provides for sheer driving pleasure!, but also makes it a blast to slip in and out of city traffic and park in those dreaded "compact" parking spaces which are growing like mushrooms every day. Simply put, there is no other SUV on the planet that can match this unique attribute of the RX's FUN-FACTOR.

Most of the SUVs out there......did someone say MDX, Oh Bus, Oh wait Minivan ...... are SORRY EXCUSES FOR DAM* BUSES ......and sometimes I wonder if their drivers intend to start a cargo transportation service or maybe a schoolbus service That monstrosity they call the Acura MDX is so wide it puts the word MIDSIZE to shame.

Getting back to the RX, the current model does have one MAJOR DESIGN FLAW which is too significant to overlook. It has a HORRENDOUSLY WIDE turning circle which makes U-turns almost an impossibility. I would have bought an RX in a heartbeat, but it's this fault of the vehicle that kept me from getting one. Everbody from RX owners to Car Magazine reviewers have criticized this and therefore I'm almost literally and physically positive that this will be corrected (Highlander based on RX has a very tight turning circle) in the redesigned RX coming out either in the fall of 2002 (strongly rumored) or definitely by early 2003. Besides this, it's a given that the redesign will offer that DELICIOUS Mark-Levinson sound system as an option!!!

So if you can wait 10 months to a year, I strongly recommend waiting for the redesign......otherwise the RX is still an excellent choice which you can't go wrong with!!

............I've also heard from very reliable sources that when the redesign arrives Lexus will not touch the RX's most valuable asset - it's compact size - YIPPPEEE and THUMBS UP to Lexus!!!! for sticking to their guns and putting those "BIGGER-IS-BETTER" bunch of croonies (who BTW have half a dozen choices already) in their proper place!!!!!!!

Last edited by vicpai; 02-24-02 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-27-02, 06:23 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't Buy an RX300
They suck!!!
You best Buy is an Chevy Tracker
Old 02-27-02, 06:34 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by 2Fast4U3000GT
Don't Buy an RX300
They suck!!!
You best Buy is an Chevy Tracker
:eek: wuzza...whaa...:eek: :eek:

*Nick explodes*

Old 03-03-02, 02:33 PM
RX300_ATL
Driver School Candidate

Cool RX300- a girl car???

Ok, I admit, I thought it was a chick car at first too... but that was only because when they first came out, the majority of people I saw driving them were female. Maybe that's because with 2 car families, the wife usually gets the nice car, and the husband gets stuck driving around the old beat-up car they had before.

I think the 2001 enhancements made it look more masculine (especially the non-minivan taillights), and a lot of the car's percieved masculinity/feminity can come from the color. Personally, when I see a gold, white, or light blue one, I would think it more likely to be driven by a female. I'm sure others would disagree.

Once I seriously researched and test drove this car, I knew it was the right one no matter what the perception was... and I'm seeing more guys on the road driving this car, mainly in 01/02 models in silver or black.

And, girls do love riding in the car, ask your friends back at the lab if they think that's such a bad thing.

Originally posted by C to the O
hey guys...

thanx for the info... i really am interested in the rx and i will take your advice and take one home for the weekend. there's only one thing that bothers me... i was talking to a couple guys in my electronics lab today... and one of them said (i couldn't believe he said this...) that the rx was a girl car!!! understand that i would never get a car or not get a car just because of some stupid statement like that... but it is a bit perplexing... any thoughts?

-coco
Old 03-04-02, 09:15 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default sludge

I would suggest that absolutely no one buy an RX or and HL until T/L comes "clean" with the detail of the actual casative factors of the engine sludging issue.

I looked at an ML and a Bravada over the weekend and both of those salesman on seeing my RX brought up the engine sludge issue/question.

Word is getting around and if T/L doesn't kill all of the rumors about what is actually wrong resale value will be the PITS.

The Bravada should not be in the RXes size class (too large), and the leg space in the back, 2nd, seat of the ML is a tad short.
Old 03-04-02, 01:20 PM
Jeff92se
Driver

Default Re: sludge

Of course the other salesmen are going to mention that! They are trying to trash the competition. Sheesh.

Yes, I think it's a legit problem. But I do think the % of engines that have/will have the problem is low compared to the total amount of cars featuring this V6 engine.

I suppose if one dug around enough, you could probably find some dirt on either of the two suvs you just mentioned.

Isn't the Bravada Oldsmobile? The company going bye-bye?

Originally posted by wwest
I would suggest that absolutely no one buy an RX or and HL until T/L comes "clean" with the detail of the actual casative factors of the engine sludging issue.

I looked at an ML and a Bravada over the weekend and both of those salesman on seeing my RX brought up the engine sludge issue/question.

Word is getting around and if T/L doesn't kill all of the rumors about what is actually wrong resale value will be the PITS.

The Bravada should not be in the RXes size class (too large), and the leg space in the back, 2nd, seat of the ML is a tad short.
Old 03-04-02, 02:26 PM
willard west
Pole Position

Default Sludge

"think the % that will have this problem is low..."

Has T/L told you something the rest of us don't know?

Until they make "FULL DISCLOSURE" none of us will know how to protect ourselves and/or our T/L vehicles.
Old 03-04-02, 09:06 PM
PlanetAudioRX
Rookie

Williard West or WWest,
you are very negative about an RX300. Anyone that reads your posts can figure that out.

Just because you have had 2 RX's and happened to not like them, isnt Lexus fault or the way they manufactured them.

I have a '99 RX and I like it alot. No problems at all.

I also have a '98 ML and I choose the RX over the ML. The ML drives like a truck, I would have the say that, the ML is nothing compared to my RX. and yes, WWest both I do drive on a daily basis. I really do not like driving the ML. IF you are so Fanatic over a Mini-van or an ML, go out and buy yourself one. AND dont go onto CL and post crap about how you hate the RX. Club Lexus is a Lexus Enthusiast club. Not a club where you sit around and talk about how negative you think RX's are. I dont think anyone else wants to hear it. and who cares if people think its a chick car. Thats just their opinions. I also think it looks alot better than my ML320! I would have to say that an ML is more of a chick car. No girls at my school have RX's. They have ML's.
Old 03-04-02, 09:10 PM
PlanetAudioRX
Rookie

C to the O,
I do suggest getting an RX.
Dont listen to WWest, just cause he has talked about his past experiences doesn't mean that you should hold back from getting one.
Old 03-04-02, 10:52 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Me? Hate?

Never happen. I consider myself one of the most loyal of Lexus fans.

Hate? I have never even said I dislike the RX300.

"Chick" vehicle, I wasn't the one that brought that up, have never addressed that issue, and will not begin here.

Someone over on Edmunds asked me if I had checked out the Lincohn LS. I wouldn't bother, I'm quite sure my list of flaws on the Lincohn would soon grow unmanageable.

The RX300 HAS flaws.

1. The human comfort aspects of the climate control leaves TONS to be desired in the cold of winter.

2. The defog/demist function isn't.

3. The A/C evaporator makes such a great SPONGE it actively promotes the growth of (toxic??) mold and mildew (that horrid smell) in warmer climates and spontaneous and intermittent fogging of the interior surface of the windshield in the colder climates.

4. The GPS/Nav firmware is so flawed (Grace hopper would say BUGGY) as to make the Nav virtually useless.

5. The AM radio is useless, but with a CD changer who cares.

6. The AWD isn't.

7. Fog lights are useless with LBs also on.

Now I have a question.

Is there anyone out there that can say for certain that their AWD TRAC (not VSC for yaw correction) has actually kicked in?
Old 03-05-02, 09:38 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

Default Re: Sludge

Nope. I remember reading that article and I recall seeing "3,000" as a number. I do believe that is a relatively small number. But at the same time IF YOU DON'T KNOW EITHER, then how can you bring it up as a point AGAINST Lexus?

As far as protecting yourself, I've already asked the board for suggestions on how to check for sludge. One member kindly suggested to keep an eye on the underside of the oil cap. I also suggested to switch to synthetics if us owners are still concerned.

So far, I've tried to assist others here, you sir have just compained

Originally posted by willard west
[BHas T/L told you something the rest of us don't know?

Until they make "FULL DISCLOSURE" none of us will know how to protect ourselves and/or our T/L vehicles. [/B]
Old 03-05-02, 10:47 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default Complaining

First, T/L "dummied up", pretended the problem didn't exist. I readily admit that I was one of the ones that "sided" with Lexus on this. I just couldn't believe that if the problem actually existed that Lexus would gain any benefit, especially long term, by denying it.

But now the truth is out, there is a sludging problem with certain of T/L'S engines.

I have already said that back in the late fifties and early sixties I never tore into an engine that internally wasn't almost completely sludged, GUNKED, up. Even with 2 to 3000 mile regular oil changes that was the "state of the art".

But, as near as I could tell, remember, all of that sludge did NO permanent damage, we just cleaned up the engine, did the overhaul or repairs as necessary, and drove that same engine another "X" miles.

One of these was a 63 T-bird that had simply dropped a valve spring keeper.

But my point is this, will, why would, a sludging problem lead to an engine failure?

In my experience the answer to that question is a big negative.

Modern day engines do not normally sludge up, due to oil formulation or whatever.

Someone has suggested that these engines have a HOT SPOT somewhere internally and the "coking" of the oil, and subsequent sludging, is restricted to that particular "local" area. My personal suspicion is that as the sludge continues to build the oil flow rate declines due to the sludge restriction and that leads to a failed engine.

And all I'm saying is that until T/L gives us some detail about the failure none of us will truly know how to "protect" ourselves. More regular oil changes or the use of synthetic oil and more regular oil changes may not be the answer.

An auxilary oil cooler might be needed, maybe.

And until then I think it would be very wise for anyone considering the purchase of a vehicle with one of the engines..

TO STAY THE HELL AWAY!
Old 03-05-02, 11:12 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

Default Re: Complaining

Originally posted by willard west
First, T/L "dummied up", pretended the problem didn't exist. I readily admit that I was one of the ones that "sided" with Lexus on this. I just couldn't believe that if the problem actually existed that Lexus would gain any benefit, especially long term, by denying it.
But now the truth is out, there is a sludging problem with certain of T/L'S engines.

Again no mention to how large of a problem it is which was the basis of my question

I have already said that back in the late fifties and early sixties I never tore into an engine that internally wasn't almost completely sludged, GUNKED, up. Even with 2 to 3000 mile regular oil changes that was the "state of the art".

But, as near as I could tell, remember, all of that sludge did NO permanent damage, we just cleaned up the engine, did the overhaul or repairs as necessary, and drove that same engine another "X" miles.

One of these was a 63 T-bird that had simply dropped a valve spring keeper.
I'm sitting here tyring to understand how a old V8 w/ some type of ancient carburator and 30 year old oil tech has to do with what we have here in year 2002'. That dinosaur of an engine could have been sludging because of a wrong thermostat.

But my point is this, will, why would, a sludging problem lead to an engine failure?
In my experience the answer to that question is a big negative.
Yes it would if rest of the engine was sludging.ie.. the oil gallies

Modern day engines do not normally sludge up, due to oil formulation or whatever.
Correct but it's more due to modern electronics, fuel injection and much higher design tolerances in the areas of machining and emissions.

Someone has suggested that these engines have a HOT SPOT somewhere internally and the "coking" of the oil, and subsequent sludging, is restricted to that particular "local" area. My personal suspicion is that as the sludge continues to build the oil flow rate declines due to the sludge restriction and that leads to a failed engine.
Probably a fair assumption

And all I'm saying is that until T/L gives us some detail about the failure none of us will truly know how to "protect" ourselves. More regular oil changes or the use of synthetic oil and more regular oil changes may not be the answer.
It may not but what are you reasons for why not? I said synthetics due to their much better tolerances to heat and stress, would be much less prone to sludging(inherent nature). That is going by what the article mentioned as a possible cause(higher heat to reduce emissions levels in some engines). Why would you say, "it may not be the answer"? What makes you say that?

An auxilary oil cooler might be needed, maybe.
It could if you could also regulate the oil's temperature.

And until then I think it would be very wise for anyone considering the purchase of a vehicle with one of the engines..

TO STAY THE HELL AWAY!
But yet you keep yours correct?

Quick Reply: should i get an rx?