RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

does the AWD RX300 have front & rear differential and transfer case?

Old 10-12-08, 01:55 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default does the AWD RX300 have front & rear differential and transfer case?

are all these three components present on a 2001 RX300 (all-wheel-drive model)?

front differential
rear differential
transfer case

if so, do all three require fluid(or gear oil) change at the same time?
(and do they use the same fluid/gear oil?)

Thanks!

P.S. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but my Lexus dealer kept insisting there is no front differential on my RX300 all-wheel-drive.
Old 10-12-08, 04:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyotaLexus
are all these three components present on a 2001 RX300 (all-wheel-drive model)?

front differential
rear differential
transfer case

if so, do all three require fluid(or gear oil) change at the same time?
(and do they use the same fluid/gear oil?)

Thanks!

P.S. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but my Lexus dealer kept insisting there is no front differential on my RX300 all-wheel-drive.
Questions are always good to ask.

Yes, an AWD RX300 has all 3. On an FWD, the only one of the three that exists would be the front differential (which is part of the transmission).

Rear differential is shown in the picture below, takes officially 85W90 gear fluid, but I highly recommend a good synthetic 75W90 gear fluid. Best in my opinion is Royal Purple 75W90 (Pep Boys and Napa Auto Parts are best places I have seen this stuff at), though I am still running Pennzoil 75W90 Synthetic as a test

I know several here run 75W90 Mobil 1, Amsoil, all good ones as well.
Attached Thumbnails does the AWD RX300 have front & rear differential and transfer case?-img_3178.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 12-10-08 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-12-08, 04:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This is the transfer case. Also uses 75W90 gear oil.

Again, only on an AWD will you find the transfer case and the rear differential.
Attached Thumbnails does the AWD RX300 have front & rear differential and transfer case?-img_0499.jpg  
Old 10-12-08, 04:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

And finally the front differential drain plug is shown on the left side of the photo.. This is part of the transmission unit. Although the front differential and transmission have different drain plugs, both are filled through the transmission fluid dipstick and the fluid will trickle over to the front differential side. These only take Automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Officially Toyota Type-IV fluid, though I and several others like Amsoil ATF.

You will find the front differential on both the AWD and FWD RX300s.
Attached Thumbnails does the AWD RX300 have front & rear differential and transfer case?-difftran.jpg  
Old 10-12-08, 05:02 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexmex:
Thank you for posting the pictures as I had a 2000 RX300 never really looked under it that hard but I remember the dealer at one service explaining to me what had to be done and the transfer case was listed.
Herbvdh
PS my son enjoys a 2006 GS300 AWD and I now have a 2006 RX400h
Old 10-12-08, 10:21 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This may not be an issue because I haven't checked the operation of the LSD on the RX300, but the old Chevy Positracton used a series of clutches to limit the differential speed in the two axles. Putting a moly product in the diff would often reduce friction to the point that the drive would not lock up, producing some rather interesting and embarrassing results for a few 'vette drivers in our autocross club.

I'm really fuzzy on this because it was so long ago, but check to be sure that any moly-containing lube is recommended for application in your LSD.
Old 10-13-08, 07:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I heard something about Chevys and the need to add a friction modifier in the gear oil, but wasn't sure about what type of Chevy. First heard about this in Mexico. A few years back, some may remember I tried to procure some synthetic gear oil south of the border, and at the time, about 2006, I was able to get some Royal Purple, but Liqui Moly and Mobil 1 were to other possibilities, but could never get them to come through. I considered Liqui Moly at the time as a possibility because I had heard of someone on the net on one of the Toyota truck forums with good experience with their 75W90 gear oil in their differentials. Luckily, I spotted that gear oil here at Napa Auto Parts, but I am still a bit away from changing it out given that I had switched out my gear oil earlier this year (to Pennzoil Synthetic 75W90).
Old 10-13-08, 08:06 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

I had mine in at the dealership 3 months ago for brakes, ATF service, Transfer Case, and Rear Diff service.

1) The reciept says ATF fluid replace (No filter change?!) I bet they didn't drop the pan!
2) Front Diff 4WD Replace 90W Gear Lube
3) Rear Diff 4WD Replace 90W Gear Lube

I think I will go back and drop the ATF pan to take a look and replace with Amsoil.
Old 10-13-08, 09:50 AM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex

I know several here run 75W90 Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, all good ones as well.

Thanks!

My Lexus dealer only has Toyota gear oil.... which the service advisor told me are non-synthetic.

Is there any real benefit in getting synthetic gear oil(such as Mobil 1)for the differential and transfer case? (assuming I change them frequently, as in once every year)

Thanks!
Old 10-13-08, 12:29 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't say where you are located. I'd say the biggest difference between 85W90 and 75W90 gear oils would be noticed in very cold climates.
Old 10-13-08, 12:40 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridge
I had mine in at the dealership 3 months ago for brakes, ATF service, Transfer Case, and Rear Diff service.

1) The reciept says ATF fluid replace (No filter change?!) I bet they didn't drop the pan!
2) Front Diff 4WD Replace 90W Gear Lube
3) Rear Diff 4WD Replace 90W Gear Lube

I think I will go back and drop the ATF pan to take a look and replace with Amsoil.
I dont know of many dealers who replace the trans filter. There is no need to drop the pan to change the oil, it has a drain plug.
Old 10-13-08, 01:28 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RTIS250
I dont know of many dealers who replace the trans filter. There is no need to drop the pan to change the oil, it has a drain plug.
i just did the pan drop and filter change over the weekend and the benefit of doing was the filter was really dirty so that would provide better flow and the magnets in the pan were really dirty as well and i doubt they would even catch anymore metal so i definitely see why one would want to do the full drop
Old 10-13-08, 01:30 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and also i was able to replace another 20 - 30 percent of the fluid by dropping the pan, replacing the filter and pulling the return line from the cooler and draining another 2 quarts out there
Old 10-13-08, 01:54 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

UNOHO -

How many miles on the RX? Do you know if the filter had been changed before? Was it a paper or wire screen filter?
Old 10-13-08, 02:06 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Thanks, I knew there was a drain plug, I was implying dropping the pan after draining to clean magnets, filter change, etc.

I'm very concerned now that in the 4 times the tranny has been serviced (Lexus dealer) in 103K miles that it has never had a filter change, or pan drop to clean magnets.

I'll do this on Friday, I'm not looking forward to what I may find...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: does the AWD RX300 have front & rear differential and transfer case?