RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

does the AWD RX300 have front & rear differential and transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 08:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcherIII
Yeh your right. I'm really only concerned about the rear because of the LSD. An LSD usually means friction and that can be hard on lubricant.
I'd also switch it to a good synthetic gear oil.
Old 05-03-11, 11:08 PM
stevengtt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do i have to change front differential fluid if my car is front wheel drive?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-11, 03:33 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevengtt
So do i have to change front differential fluid if my car is front wheel drive?

Cheers
Steve
Front Wheel drive only has the transaxle fluid to change the All Wheel Drive has the differential fluid to change also.
Old 05-09-11, 01:51 AM
stevengtt
Driver School Candidate

Thank you herbvdh!

But i wonder what kind of fluid should i put in there? And where about located?

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-15-11, 09:41 AM
rokko
Driver School Candidate

Question Transfer Case Fluid on AWD 2000 RX 300 with LSD

Sorry if this sounds like a "repeat question", but on this model/configuration:

Is there a separate entry point to refill the Transfer Case, or is all replacement oil added via the ATF access (and that one entry point supplies the transmission fluid, front diff, and transfer case)?

I have seen the photos in another thread related the changing the fluids which showed two plugs for draining, one for the Transmission and one for the Transfer Case. But I did not see where Transfer Case oil is refilled from.

Thanks
Rokko
-------------------
2000 RX 300 AWD w/just 98,000

Last edited by rokko; 05-15-11 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-11, 06:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rokko
Sorry if this sounds like a "repeat question", but on this model/configuration:

Is there a separate entry point to refill the Transfer Case, or is all replacement oil added via the ATF access (and that one entry point supplies the transmission fluid, front diff, and transfer case)?

I have seen the photos in another thread related the changing the fluids which showed two plugs for draining, one for the Transmission and one for the Transfer Case. But I did not see where Transfer Case oil is refilled from.

Thanks
Rokko
-------------------
2000 RX 300 AWD w/just 98,000
If we are talking about the fluid that comes out of these two plugs below in the photo...then you only need to fill through the ATF dipstick with ATF fluid ONLY.

For plugs that needed to be filled with gear oil (not ATF), then see my thread here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sfer-case.html
Attached Thumbnails does the AWD RX300 have front & rear differential and transfer case?-difftran.jpg  
Old 05-16-13, 11:30 PM
JONIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
This is the transfer case. Also uses 75W90 gear oil.

Again, only on an AWD will you find the transfer case and the rear differential.
What kind of tool did you use to open the transfer case drain plug? Is it the same as the rear diff ? 10 m Allen wrench? Do you have any pic for the front differential drain and fill ?
Old 05-17-13, 05:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JONIS250
What kind of tool did you use to open the transfer case drain plug? Is it the same as the rear diff ? 10 m Allen wrench? Do you have any pic for the front differential drain and fill ?
This should answer your questions on the transfer case (and rear differential) for those with AWD, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-case-diy.html

For the front differential, see this post by TunedRX300, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html (see post 3) he calls it a transfer case drain plug, but I call it front differential

Just go by what the photos show and the types of tools used.

Last edited by Lexmex; 05-17-13 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-17-13, 09:29 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My dealer flushed the tranny of my '99 AWD right before I got the vehicle (yes, I know many of you won't approve). That means that when I change the rear diff fluid myself, there's nothing I need to do on the front portion, right?
Old 05-18-13, 04:53 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by trhs75
My dealer flushed the tranny of my '99 AWD right before I got the vehicle (yes, I know many of you won't approve). That means that when I change the rear diff fluid myself, there's nothing I need to do on the front portion, right?
Incorrect, you will still have to change the transfer case fluid.
Old 05-18-13, 07:33 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Ah, now I remember. That funny hexagonal fill plug. It's been several years since I did this on my daughter's. I thought I made all these careful notes on the computer, but I can't find them. I looked two posts higher and clicked on Lexmex's link (I should have done that first!) and that refreshed my memory. I can't seem to recall which drain plug gaskets go where in every case. I wrote down that the "bottom" or horizontal tranny plug gasket is 90430-18008, the non-shiny one, and that the tranny drain plug on the side is the shiny compressible (looks like two layers of metal) 12157-10010.

I also think the front transaxle drain and fill plugs use the 12157-10010 gaskets, but I can't remember what gaskets the drain and fill plugs use on the rear diff. I could start another thread, but I'm guessing you'll know, Hypervish.
Old 05-18-13, 07:50 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...shers-fyi.html
Old 05-18-13, 09:24 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, CarGuy!

I should have said front transfer case instead of front transaxle.for the front. I found the info the dealer gave me six years ago. They agree the crush washers are used for the rear diff drain & fill plugs and for the (front) transfer case drain & fill plugs. They also agree the downward-facing tranny drain plug uses the flat aluminum washer. They recommend a crush washer for that side transmission drain plug, though.
I really doubt it matters much. As everyone points out, the correct tightness is probably what's important. I appreciate the help with this -- thanks!
Old 11-07-13, 07:05 PM
mathewd23
Driver School Candidate

Hi Lexmex, I got some good knowledge from you and others in this forum and I thank all of you for it. I just changed my trany oil at 103K on my 2000 Lexus RX300 and was going to change the transfer cases both front and rear and also the differential cases both front and rear, and hence purchased 4 quarts of Royal Purple 75W90 after reading your other post on transfer case.
But now in this post i read that the front differential does not need additonal gear oil, as it draws its oil from the tranny, is that right ? So i will only require 3 quarts of gear oil ie 1 qt each for front transfer and 1 qt each for rear transfer and differentail. Am I right on this ? Pls let me know.
I intend to change it on the weekend of thksgiving.
Thanks
Old 11-07-13, 08:07 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

You need 2 quarts of gear oil (3 is a good idea since you will spill some). You are going to be changing the Transfer Case and Rear Differential.

Quick Reply: does the AWD RX300 have front & rear differential and transfer case?