RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

switching out brake rotors from front to back, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-08, 08:01 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question switching out brake rotors from front to back, what do you think?

99 rx300, i got my front rotors turned last time i got my brakes done, theyre not quite even in the respect that i can feel it when braking. if i lightly apply the brakes when going at a lower speed you can feel it grab more in places than in others and if im going faster i get vibration in the steering wheel. I was thinking, would it possible or even better wise to switch the front and rear rotors to eliminate that vibration in the steering wheel?
Old 09-26-08, 08:10 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

You can't switch rotors front to back. They are different.
Old 09-26-08, 08:27 AM
UNOHOO

oh well, how much do you think new ones would cost for the front?
Old 09-26-08, 09:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
oh well, how much do you think new ones would cost for the front?
I would call a few reputable parts stores in your area,and see what the average price is.Also,replace with new pads when using new rotors.
Old 09-26-08, 09:46 AM
iolmaster
Racer

I paid about $68 for the Toyota rotors that are the same as Lexus. You can get Centrix for about $60 also. The reason I like these two brands is the coating on the non friction parts that prevents the rotor from rusting. If you go Centrix autopartswharehouse.com has them.

And by the way, I have never found the need to change the pads at the same time as the rotors unless they need it also. I have put new rotors on with the existing pads for 30 years and never had a problem. I don't know of any science that would support that. The pads are the sacrificial part of the system and will form to the new rotor quickly.
Old 09-26-08, 10:28 AM
UNOHOO

well ill prolly just wait until i need new pads anyway before i do it just because that way i dont have to do it twice ya know, its not even that bad, more annoying than anything lol, thanks for all of your input guys
Old 09-26-08, 10:43 AM
Francis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the mileage of your 99' RX. If the brake pads are still original, it may be time to replace it. I have just replaced the front pads with 130k miles on the clock. The front rotors are still original because they are still thick and no vibration in my case. GL
Old 09-26-08, 11:07 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by Francis
What is the mileage of your 99' RX. If the brake pads are still original, it may be time to replace it. I have just replaced the front pads with 130k miles on the clock. The front rotors are still original because they are still thick and no vibration in my case. GL
210k miles, i just replaced the pads not too long ago and had them turn the front ones, original rotors as far as i know, but yea after they turned them it wasnt quite smooth, a lot better than it was prior but not perfect so i was thinking i could replace them next time i replace the pads
Old 09-26-08, 11:47 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I have never found the need to change the pads at the same time as the rotors unless they need it also. ...... I don't know of any science that would support that. The pads are the sacrificial part of the system and will form to the new rotor quickly.
Well, I think a couple of reasons are: (1) you could have limited contact area (and thus reduced stopping performance) until the pads wear to conform to the new rotors, and (2) you could have uneven and higher than normal (in radial areas) heating of the rotors during braking until the pads wear to conform to the new rotors. It's possible that you could also have rust or other debris on the brake pad's surface where the old pads and rotor were not making contact. All this assumes uneven wear of the old rotor. If the old rotor wore eveningly, then I'd say, sure, you could use the old disk pads.
Old 09-26-08, 12:53 PM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by bob2200
Well, I think a couple of reasons are: (1) you could have limited contact area (and thus reduced stopping performance) until the pads wear to conform to the new rotors, and (2) you could have uneven and higher than normal (in radial areas) heating of the rotors during braking until the pads wear to conform to the new rotors. It's possible that you could also have rust or other debris on the brake pad's surface where the old pads and rotor were not making contact. All this assumes uneven wear of the old rotor. If the old rotor wore eveningly, then I'd say, sure, you could use the old disk pads.
excellent observation
Old 09-26-08, 02:15 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by bob2200
That is a lot of coulds. Everything you say is true. It just doesn't make any difference in the real world. The pad will conform to the new rotor immediately, or within the first stop. Again, in 30 years of changing pads and rotors I have never had a problem.
Old 09-27-08, 05:59 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
That is a lot of coulds. Everything you say is true. It just doesn't make any difference in the real world. The pad will conform to the new rotor immediately, or within the first stop. Again, in 30 years of changing pads and rotors I have never had a problem.
Kind of harsh on the members here arent you bro?