RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Changin' Oil-removing oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-02, 06:46 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changin' Oil-removing oil filter

The guy who designed the location of the oil filter was not a mechanic. He may have been an engineer, but not a mechanic.

What a hassel. That aint no fun changing that filter.
Old 02-17-02, 06:20 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I know.... It really $ucks trying to get it out especially when the engine is hot...
Old 02-18-02, 06:30 AM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Angry Jiffy Lube suprise!

The people at Jiffy Lube find it hard to remove too. In fact they dont, just charge you for a new one without removing the old one.

KEEP AN EYE ON THESE GUYS!!!!!!!!!

They keep an old filter in the rack under the car. They insist you have a seat in the lobby and 2 min later call you to say its done. If they dont spend 15 min just to get the filter out then they did not change it. No wonder the RX has sludge problems!
Old 02-18-02, 06:40 PM
TN3
Rookie

yeah I feel ya guys, Good god that thing is hard to take out. I'm gonna go after the guy who design the placement of taht damn thing
Old 02-18-02, 06:51 PM
LexusTech
Rookie

Originally posted by TN3
yeah I feel ya guys, Good god that thing is hard to take out. I'm gonna go after the guy who design the placement of taht damn thing
Once you find him,get the guy who did the IS300...no matter how I do it my arms still get pretty dirty after doing them.
Old 02-19-02, 02:40 AM
sleepybobcat

I've always let the dealer change the oil/filter since day one...

Where is the oil filter located? I think I want to mark it
before taking it in for oil change. (to make sure the filter is
replaced)

I think it really sucks that most dealers will not let you
see the service area. I can understand why you have
to phsically stay away for obvious safety issues. However,
I"ve been to one dealer where they had a large glass
window so you can see into the area. Well, the last time
I was there, they put tint on it to block off the view.
Old 02-19-02, 04:23 AM
additude
Intermediate

Originally posted by LexusTech

Once you find him,get the guy who did the IS300...no matter how I do it my arms still get pretty dirty after doing them.
You may get dirty on the IS, but I have wounds from the RX! Serious, I still have 3 healing scabs and a bruise on my inner arm from it.
Old 02-19-02, 04:28 AM
additude
Intermediate

Originally posted by sleepybobcat
I've always let the dealer change the oil/filter since day one...

Where is the oil filter located? I think I want to mark it
before taking it in for oil change. (to make sure the filter is
replaced)
If your standing right in the front center of your engine compartment with the hood open, look under the tubing that comes out from the engine. It will probably be brownish in color. But directly under that, centered between 1/2 and 2/3rds the way up the front side of the engine block is the filter.
Old 02-23-02, 08:05 AM
FCobra94
Driver

Are you guys taking off the plastic shroud from underneath the car to get to the oil filter? I seriously hope your not trying to snake your hands behind the header to get to it from the top It's just a couple screws to get the shrowd off and the filter is right there.

Also, I use a K&N Gold oil filter on the RX which has a 1 in. nut welded on the end of it. It makes taking off the old oil filter a breeze.

Last edited by FCobra94; 02-23-02 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-23-02, 08:36 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I finally found the location of the oil filter, it's as if it was hidden! I found it by looking down on the engine bay through the exhaust manifold in the front. Looks like a real bi*ch to get off.

FCobra94, I just saw the K&N oil filter yesterday. I had no idea that they made oil filters before then. I also took note of the nut welded on. Very cool, for a $10 filter! :eek:

I used a fram this time. It was easier to locate the orange cylinder The stupid sure-grip on the fram...it's like a woman's oil filter!! J/K, no flames please!!

-Nick
Old 02-23-02, 08:44 AM
FCobra94
Driver

Originally posted by LexRX

I used a fram this time. It was easier to locate the orange cylinder The stupid sure-grip on the fram...it's like a woman's oil filter!! J/K, no flames please!!

-Nick
NOOOOO!!!! Not a Fram! Those are the crappiest oil filters on the market! Give me a sec. I'll find the website to prove it....

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Last edited by FCobra94; 02-23-02 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-23-02, 09:09 AM
additude
Intermediate

Originally posted by FCobra94
Are you guys taking off the plastic shroud from underneath the car to get to the oil filter? I seriously hope your not trying to snake your hands behind the header to get to it from the top It's just a couple screws to get the shrowd off and the filter is right there.

Also, I use a K&N Gold oil filter on the RX which has a 1 in. nut welded on the end of it. It makes taking off the old oil filter a breeze.
I thought about that and realized that it was an option, but figured it would be just as difficult to get to the filter. There was a cross brace just below a large cylinder located at the bottom of the block, which was in line with the filter and also something like a shelf directly under the filter.

With the RX resting on jack stands just high enough for me to crawl under it, I thought it would be a pretty good reach beside that brace, around cylinder and over that shelf while lying on my back with a filter wrench in my hand.

Now if I was able to stand under the car then I probably would have tried it.

But if you tell me you do it on your back that way then I'll try it next time.
Old 02-23-02, 09:19 AM
sleepybobcat

I just looked under the hood and saw where the oil fiter is located. It is a black filter hidden under the manifold. I'm just glad I've always had the oil/filter changed by the dealer. I wouln'd want to stick my hand up there. What were the Lexus engineers thinking of? It is probably as difficult as changing the parking light bulb.(when I suffered several scratches and my hand was sore for a few days)

I assume the dealer uses a Toyota filter because it has a Toyota part# on it. I wonder who the OEM part manufacturer is... I'll probably find a Mobil 1 filter next time and bring it to them. (I also bring my own Mobil 1 oil)

K&N oil filters: where can I find them? Thanks!

As for Fram filters, I also agree that is is a CRAPPY filter!!! For your RX300's sake, please stop using it!
Old 02-23-02, 09:35 AM
FCobra94
Driver

Originally posted by additude

I thought about that and realized that it was an option, but figured it would be just as difficult to get to the filter. There was a cross brace just below a large cylinder located at the bottom of the block, which was in line with the filter and also something like a shelf directly under the filter.

With the RX resting on jack stands just high enough for me to crawl under it, I thought it would be a pretty good reach beside that brace, around cylinder and over that shelf while lying on my back with a filter wrench in my hand.

Now if I was able to stand under the car then I probably would have tried it.

But if you tell me you do it on your back that way then I'll try it next time.
Yup...I don't even have to pull out the ramps or the jack stands. Much easier on the RX then any of my other cars...

Sleepybobcat: I think the place is called Advanced Auto Part's. If not that then it's Auto Zone but I'm pretty sure it's AAP

Last edited by FCobra94; 02-23-02 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-23-02, 09:48 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Well, dahm, I didn't think fram was that crappy. I want it off my RX now. I'll make it up to it next time with a Mobile 1 filter. I saw the K&N Filters at Advanced Auto Parts.

Now that I read the article, I don't feel right having the filter on at all. I'll have to have all my oil replaced again if I have the filter changed, won't I? What should I do? I don't want to pay for another oil change, but I will! help.

-Nick

Quick Reply: Changin' Oil-removing oil filter