RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rx300 Engine Oil Light On After 1000 Km continious travel (Speeds over 120 KMPH)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 04:51 AM
aejaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx300 Engine Oil Light On After 1000 Km continious travel (Speeds over 120 KMPH)

I have RX300 baught 6 months ago. I had this this issue twice

Oil changed (MObil -1 Synthatic)
Drove over 600 Km continious same night
The engine oil light glows
When checked , The oil level goes down .

This doesnt happne even for 3000 Kilometers when driving in the city (No continiuous accelation but max 70 KM a day )

Once It needed 3 litres more... (% litrles filled about 500 KM back that is 2 days)

Dont find any Oil leak , mechanic has thoroughly checked it..

Is the engine consuming soo much of OIL .. for only 500 KM?

It never happens when am driving only in the city say at the highest speed of 120 KM.

Any ideas assistance is highly appreciated.

I am a Comp Engineer, know nothing of the automobile issues
Old 09-06-08, 05:41 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the comment about being down 3L in engine oil. The total capacity is under 5L! Being down to that oil level (less than 40% of capacity), if I understand you correctly, at highspeed driving, is bad.

What is the temperature range over there these days? If consistently high temperature, a higher weight engine oil might help oil consumption and too thin an oil weight for the temperatures might have been one cause of excess consumption (along with other factors).
Old 09-06-08, 06:21 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

If you are not leaking oil (leak to outside or inside ... water jacket) and the oil level drops, then you are burning oil.

Have your engine compression tested and have the valve cover removed to see any pooling of thick oil.

As mentioned in the previous post, you can play with the weight of the oil. A more responsible thing to do would be to have the root cause determined and have it repaired.

Salim
Old 09-06-08, 07:21 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is very likely to have oil burning issue when you switch to synthetic oil on an old car. Many owners have reported such issue here (and in other auto forums.) Suggest that you switch back to dino oil 5W30. From my 130K miles experience with my RX300, any ASE-Approved brand of oil works fine.

For a balanced view, Mobil 1's website denies that this could happen.
Old 09-06-08, 10:39 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
If you are not leaking oil (leak to outside or inside ... water jacket) and the oil level drops, then you are burning oil.
Salim
Check your coolant for oil contamination. If it's clear, then you appear to be burning oil. Lexus have an 8 year extended warranty on the engine that have succumbed to "oil gelling". You might be the victim of this - it can cause the symptoms you describe. Take it to a dealer for a gel evaluation, if the car is under 8 years old. Unfortunately, a diagnostic compression check is expensive, especially at a dealer, because of the difficulty getting at the rear cylinders.

Switching back to regular oil maybe a slightly higher weight, may reduce the problem and this will be cheaper than the alternatives.
Old 09-07-08, 02:31 AM
aejaz
Rookie

The temperature has been high during this time , somewhat not less than 39 C. I removed the cap and found some dirt but it doesnt look like gel or sludge.. Used to change oil at lexus , they claim that they used toyota oil and suggested to use mobil-1 if I change the oil outside lexus..

I have a 2002 RX300 which is less than 8 yrs old.. Is the Gel warranty depends on the geographical location?
Old 09-07-08, 06:04 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

[39C is about 102 deg F]. You can only see the anti-splash fabric through the oil cap. To check for gelling, you have to take off the top cover. I don't know if the gel warranty deal is international or not.

Since you have a Lexus dealer, I'd be inclined to have a compression check done (like Salimshah suggested) and maybe also have them inspect for gelling (although it is less likely in 2001 and later models, from what I've read).

Can you confirm that it was once actually 3L (over 3 quarts) low in engine oil?
Old 09-07-08, 06:17 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by aejaz
I have a 2002 RX300 which is less than 8 yrs old.. Is the Gel warranty depends on the geographical location?
Ah, I see now you're in the Middle East. I have no idea if the Lexus gel warranty of 8 years is valid there. Check with your dealer.
Old 09-07-08, 07:07 AM
m1tk4
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gel "warranty"

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Ah, I see now you're in the Middle East. I have no idea if the Lexus gel warranty of 8 years is valid there. Check with your dealer.
The gel "warranty" is really not a warranty but the result of the class action settlement. See attachment and http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
glove_box.pdf (68.8 KB, 282 views)
Old 09-08-08, 01:36 AM
aejaz
Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot of soo many good responses and advices..

Yes the oil was 2 litres or 1 1/2 litre less the first time.. Thaught the oil filled by dealr was less or so.. second time the guy on the highway claimed that there is no oil but 2 litres remained in the tank (for 700 KM after filling 5 litres). Not sure If i can belive the guy on highway as he insisted on taking out all the oil before refilling and he did refill only 4 1/2 or less after this.

He dint even show me the amount of oil he removed but only told me.. due to late night tiredness with family and kids in the car.. dint insist much on all these..

I pressume there is no such coverage or waranty with the local dealers here.. in ME.. not sure if they will bind to it even if its there .. After all this is middleeast
Old 09-08-08, 07:19 AM
salimshah

Dont "assume" any thing. Contact the dealer and share the problem. Let them diagnose the problem for you [it may cost you for diagnosis]. Post your finding and then we can possibly give you advice.

You may have nothing wrong .. other than the weigh of the oil issue. Compression test or exhaust analysis will tell you if the oil is getting into the chamber.

Oil gel issue can be traced to maintenance history of the vehicle. If you share that we can collectively comment on it.

Lexus has many times done things to retain the image.
Old 10-07-08, 06:14 AM
aejaz
Rookie

The dealer seems to be the sucker in here.
He just changed the oil and waited for me to go long drive, when reported the oil consumption.. he suggested it is unusual , suggested to give it for overhauling.. Sounds very stupid..

Assuming the dealer can do the brake job well.. I gave it there.. he changed the front discs and b rakepads.. Now it makes noice..

when contacted back.. he says its the noice from tyres(Which was not there before)..

He suggests few more changes for the wheel which could cost upto $500 ..

I am not surprized at all.. the service industry in this part of the world sucks.. Its how it works here I think I will drive the car for a while and sell it .. Selling is not difficult as the issue of oil consumption cannot be traced until over 500 KM on a long drive continiously gone ..

? I am in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia).. I may have to look for a private mechanic to check the noice when brakes are applied..

This could be alignment.. as well if not brakes.. as suggested by the dealer

Any suggestions..
Old 10-07-08, 06:43 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have RX300 baught 6 months ago. I had this this issue twice

Oil changed (MObil -1 Synthatic)
Drove over 600 Km continious same night
The engine oil light glows
When checked , The oil level goes down .

This doesnt happne even for 3000 Kilometers when driving in the city (No continiuous accelation but max 70 KM a day )

Once It needed 3 litres more... (% litrles filled about 500 KM back that is 2 days)

Dont find any Oil leak , mechanic has thoroughly checked it..

Is the engine consuming soo much of OIL .. for only 500 KM?

It never happens when am driving only in the city say at the highest speed of 120 KM.

Any ideas assistance is highly appreciated.

I am a Comp Engineer, know nothing of the automobile issues
It could be your just pushing it too hard,i.e high speed driving.I would feel much more at ease in a Mercedes doing high speed driving.They are designed for it.Although I dont know how fast your driving in mph.

Last edited by lexus114; 10-09-08 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-07-08, 09:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I agree with Salim on potentially being a compression issue (because I had one not too long ago). I am not much of a fan of Mobil 1, as I used to have consumption issues with them, especially in heat. The only one I didn't have much issues with was Mobil 1 15W50, but that was very heavy oil and I got very bad gas mileage. Some of you remember when I used 0W40, that I even had problems and had to use additives.

I'd try switch to say a 5W40 oil, preferably any of the following, Castrol Syntec, Liqui Moly, Shell Helix, Pennzoil Synthetic. That higher weight should decrease the oil consumption issue you have.
Old 10-07-08, 11:33 AM
salimshah

The dealer seems to be the sucker in here.
He just changed the oil and waited for me to go long drive, when reported the oil consumption.. he suggested it is unusual , suggested to give it for overhauling.. Sounds very stupid..

Assuming the dealer can do the brake job well.. I gave it there.. he changed the front discs and b rakepads.. Now it makes noice..

when contacted back.. he says its the noice from tyres(Which was not there before)..

He suggests few more changes for the wheel which could cost upto $500 ..

I am not surprized at all.. the service industry in this part of the world sucks.. Its how it works here I think I will drive the car for a while and sell it .. Selling is not difficult as the issue of oil consumption cannot be traced until over 500 KM on a long drive continiously gone ..

? I am in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia).. I may have to look for a private mechanic to check the noice when brakes are applied..

This could be alignment.. as well if not brakes.. as suggested by the dealer

Any suggestions..
Lets split the issues:

Brake Noise:
OEM pads are noisy. They make a grating/grinding noise when applied. There are shims in the system and they should be lightly greased(high temp). If that was not done you get a high pitched sound [very different from the grating sound].

Oil loss or low pressure:
If I understand the term "engine overhaul" .. usually means reboring/piston/rings ... that would imply you are burning oil.

Personally I have not seen/experienced loss of oil in my cars, but universally the dealers (any make) expect some amount of engine oil loss. Early RX models have engine jell issues as well.
That would take us back to coverage under engine jell issue. Your dealer has to be come to that conclusion and also if that coverage is available to you in Riyadh.

Since the dealer is not working the problem out with you, you should ask them about escalating the issue through the corporate and explore your legal options as well.

You can try the different oil brand and weight and see if the problem is reduced. Overhaul is also an option and you can ask the dealer if they will assist you [this will depend upon them being liable or goodwill].

Salim

Quick Reply: Rx300 Engine Oil Light On After 1000 Km continious travel (Speeds over 120 KMPH)