RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rx300 Engine Oil Light On After 1000 Km continious travel (Speeds over 120 KMPH)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 09:16 PM
aejaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The leak was close to the right wheel if you are face to face with the vehicle , there is pan like thing there through which it drops...

Cerat Tec may have become cheaper now, the distributor quoted me the like SR 80 which is $21.5 exactly (My earlier currency conversion was wrong). He said this is the wholesale price , in retail it could cost a few $s more if I buy it from a shop..

The sales rep is kinda friend to a friend to me.. so he is directly giving it to me from his wearhouse.. It looks like its sold in very shops around here
Old 02-03-10, 07:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by aejaz
The leak was close to the right wheel if you are face to face with the vehicle , there is pan like thing there through which it drops...

Cerat Tec may have become cheaper now, the distributor quoted me the like SR 80 which is $21.5 exactly (My earlier currency conversion was wrong). He said this is the wholesale price , in retail it could cost a few $s more if I buy it from a shop..

The sales rep is kinda friend to a friend to me.. so he is directly giving it to me from his wearhouse.. It looks like its sold in very shops around here
Is your RX the FWD or AWD version?

There is an offhand chance if you have AWD, you have a leaking transfer case. If not, oil could be leaking down the back from the rear engine cover or possibly on the top of the oil pan (bad gasket).
Old 02-03-10, 11:18 PM
aejaz
Rookie

Its an AWD, the gasket kit was replaced when the engine work was done (Replaced vales, piston rings , pump etc)
Old 02-04-10, 07:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Its an AWD, the gasket kit was replaced when the engine work was done (Replaced vales, piston rings , pump etc)
What are you getting in gas mileage, either mpg or km/l?
Old 02-05-10, 09:54 PM
aejaz
Rookie

I get KM/L (The vehicle information says its made in Japan in 2001 , however its registered as 2002

I get around 6 Km/L in the city and close to 7+ KM /L in the highway long drives
Old 02-05-10, 10:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I get KM/L (The vehicle information says its made in Japan in 2001 , however its registered as 2002

I get around 6 Km/L in the city and close to 7+ KM /L in the highway long drives
That's about 14 to 16 mpg.

What outside temperatures are you getting in either celsius or fahrenheit?
Old 02-06-10, 06:21 AM
aejaz
Rookie

Outside temperature here iis in Celsius

Its 10 C at the lowest for a couple of months during winter, otherwise it is mostly over 30 C going upto 45 in summer , and the summer is more than 6 months ..
Old 02-06-10, 06:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

So that means it's 50 F (10 C) there right now; there is really no reason you should be getting such low mpg's. Especially since it isn't all that cold compared to my weather which is around low 20's F and I'm still getting 18mpg city, this is with winter gas too. What is the air pressure in your tires?

Last edited by hypervish; 02-06-10 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-06-10, 07:13 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Outside temperature here iis in Celsius

Its 10 C at the lowest for a couple of months during winter, otherwise it is mostly over 30 C going upto 45 in summer , and the summer is more than 6 months ..
Right now, I'd be monitoring the leak and seeing if after you drive it, it drips (you can actually see at least two drips falling) and trying to pinpoint it.
Old 02-06-10, 08:46 AM
aejaz
Rookie

Thanks Lexmex..

There is no leak at all, its all dry now -

BTW, the MPG has been same on all temperatures.. in summer when it used to over 40 C it was the same..

The air pressure is 35

Next week I am planning a long drive which will tell me if it burns the oil further
Do you think gas additives can help the MPG ? Liqui moly rep showed a few of them..
Old 02-06-10, 09:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks Lexmex..

There is no leak at all, its all dry now -

BTW, the MPG has been same on all temperatures.. in summer when it used to over 40 C it was the same..

The air pressure is 35

Next week I am planning a long drive which will tell me if it burns the oil further
Do you think gas additives can help the MPG ? Liqui moly rep showed a few of them..
I'd wait a bit on any more additives as I would want to see how it is going to run for the time being.
Old 02-14-10, 11:39 PM
aejaz
Rookie

Oil Saver stopped the leak but dint help in Saving the oil
Had a long trip (With the Oil saver in with Toyota OIL) of 1700 KM
Had to add two liters of oil , each liter after around 750-800 KM

Should I apply the oil saver a couple of times more to see the results?

My Observation is that

Before the engine job , it was burning more oil than what it does now (Almost close to double ).
The engine head is cleaned to remove the sludge or carbon
The vales, piston rings, fuel pump, gasket and few things are repclaed

After the above the oil loss has reduced,
If this was due to the sludge,
Is the current oil burning due to the sludge still remaining in the other parts of the engine such as the Cylenders/insode pistons etc

(Automobile engineering is Chinese/Greek for me, I am a computer engineer).

Should I use the Sludge remover (Not available)
Or Use the Oil saver a couple of times more

I also found a product of liqui moli sold in UK

Viscoplus For Oil http://www.liquimoly.co.uk/index.php..._details&id=10

Can this be useful ..

Any other thoughts advice

Last edited by aejaz; 02-15-10 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-15-10, 09:35 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Metal getting a brown haze on it is NOT sludge. Sludge would be tar like substance.

Salim
Old 02-15-10, 09:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The amount of oil you are losing just doesn't make sense given what's been done previously with the engine (piston rings, etc.). I'd conjecture that although a product like Viscoplus may help, I do know from personal experience using Liqui Moly 5W40 in Mexico that is a very tough oil that I used in my RX300. Perhaps not the most appropriate for where I lived, but had I been in a hotter region in the northern part I would have considered that had I had consumption issues.

I had a friend who used their 10W60 oil in his Mazda RX7 (rotary engines love to eat oil and that was one oil that the engine didn't seem to consume even close to his previous oil Castrol GTX). The 10W60 is too heavy, but the 5W40 is probably one of the heaviest 40s I know of. That's a possibility given the environment you are in. The Viscoplus can only do so much there.
Old 02-15-10, 10:23 AM
aejaz
Rookie

Thanks Salim , Lexmex

I saw tar like substance when the head was cleaned

Lexmex , Do you mean the amount oil burning is ok ?

You think I should use the heavier oil like 10w60 or 5w40 ?

Or you think repeating the Oil saver can add any value?

or Viscoplus For Oil with my Toyota oil can be good?

Appreciate your continuous analysis and thoughts

Quick Reply: Rx300 Engine Oil Light On After 1000 Km continious travel (Speeds over 120 KMPH)