RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rx300 Engine Oil Light On After 1000 Km continious travel (Speeds over 120 KMPH)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08, 02:52 AM
aejaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to Everyone and specially Salim for continious response

Brakes
------
He seems to have greased it as he has chanrged me for the grease too.
I found an other mechanic (Not a lexus mechanic though), This sound is most probably due to brake pads quality which may not be Lexus original. HE also said this will go with time (Not sure how much time).

I remember when I went to buy the brakepads at the spareparts shop of lexus., they mentioned they dont have the part number of 2002 model, probably 2003 can fit the 2002 well (Ishould have searched online for it .. My Mistake)..

The price queoted at the parts shop for 2003 model are exactly same as the price charged from the service for brake pads..

Oil Consumption
---------------
Overhaul by he means whatever but he told me the cost could be approximately over $3000.. and it could take atleast a month ..

I enquired about the engine pricess .. There are lots of accidents in SA.. and old engines not used for long and in good conditions are available at around $2000 or little more, which includes fitting charges (Replace engine) and a warranty of copple of months (Depends on the shop)..

This options sounded good to me.. And a coupple of mechanics including the dealer confirmed me that there is no harm living with the oil consultion issue if checked properly to fill it before it goes down to low levels.

I get this issue only when I drive long and over 140 KM its about 90 MPH (4000 and above RPMS) continously .

I do this long drives once in 2-3 months.. so can live with it before I get a good Rx350/Rx330 (I am addicted to this one.. its really a good car except my bad luck with the current one)..

Any comments.. Can driving like this bring me to a disaster .. I am prepared to change the engine if it comes to engine disaster.. can it be bigger than this?
Old 10-11-08, 09:48 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Follow the advice about trying different weight of oil [I would deffer to others who have successfully tried it].

In the mean time carry couple of quarts and check often.

The worst possible thing is a ceased engine. Apart from the damage to the engine, you will have to be prepared for the inconvenience of the break down at unexpected location and time.

Salim
Old 10-12-08, 11:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

There is a product that I'd used by Liqui Moly (sold under the Lubro Moly name in the United States at Napa Auto Parts), called Motor Oil Saver, that does a fantastic job in helping restore compression due to deteriorated piston ring issues. I am not sure if they have a distributor out there that would have this product, but I found it readily available in Mexico.

Otherwise, I'd suggest just as Salim mentioned, to try a higher weight, such as a W40 weight oil.
Old 10-31-08, 09:34 PM
invadergsx
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2001 Lexus RX300 and also had an oil consumption problem only during highway use. I am the original owner and had the oil changed and all maintenance done at the dealer. It started happening at about 50K miles. Luckily our dealer over here is very good. This is a common problem on the RX300 engine. Do a google search. Playing with the weights of the oil is not going to help. I went through about 6 months of oil consumption tests. First they replaced the valve covers. Why? I have no idea because it never leaked oil. Then they contacted Lexus corp and they gave me a new shortblock. They charged me for really dumb things, like oil, spark plugs, headgaskets, etc. So my bill was about $600, but I have a new bottom end. It was out of warranty, but because I have a full bill of history of getting everything done at the dealer they took care of it. Pretty impressed, but I would never try going more than 3000 on oil changes on this engine and I would always check the dipstick everytime you get gas. The only reason why I knew it was burning oil is my oil light came on. It's not like the mechanics at the dealership could have noted everytime I brought it in for an oil change that the oil was low! You wouldn't expect a Lexus to burn oil at such low miles, but it's common.

Last edited by invadergsx; 10-31-08 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-03-08, 01:58 AM
aejaz
Rookie

Thanks you

And welcome to the club.. I am doing the same .. using the toyota oil to change it at around every 3000 KM ..

The dealer here is really dumb and sucks.. He changed my brake pads and discs and it started maming noices .. Then he says its because of tyres or wheen balancing.. and then also suggests to change a few things that could cost me not less than over $700..

I am trying to find a reliable mechanic in my area ..
Old 03-23-09, 11:41 PM
aejaz
Rookie

This is in regards to Oil consumption discussed in this thread

I met a Cadillac mechanic thru a common friend, he says sometimes the engine stop oil or something like that does the magic to stop the oil consumption.. He said this maybe a rare case like 1 in 100 .

Is this similar to what lEXMEX mentioned earlier as Liqui Moly as Motor Oil Saver?

I was thinking engine stop oil can reduce the enginer noice in some morots but could cause more issues ,..

Any advice on this and brand of Engine stop oil.. and or Liqui Moly as Motor Oil Saver..
Old 03-24-09, 12:03 AM
salimshah

Are you asking about additives (chemical added to oil or fuel) to :

reduce friction
plug a leak
clean oil channels
increase compression
All of the above.

"liquid Moly" is one such product. From your post, I was unable to determine the name of the product the Caddy mechanic suggested to you.

I have not used any additives.

Salim
Old 03-24-09, 03:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Might be something like Bar's Engine Stop Leak, http://www.barsproducts.com/E10L.htm and yes that is similar to the Liqui Moly product.
Old 03-28-09, 03:28 AM
aejaz
Rookie

Apologize for the typos..
Correct text below

The Cadillac Mechanic did not suggeste any brand , just said STOP oil.. perhaps suggested a stop oil of american brand, which he cant re-call..
I am in middleeast.. I am not sure of the brand. need to go and check.. I am planning to try this out this weekened.. I will be on a long drive this weekened
Anyone has any bad exp by using This/stop oil or liquid Moly, for Lexus RX300 (Mine is 2002)
Old 03-28-09, 07:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by aejaz
Apologize for the typos..
Correct text below

The Cadillac Mechanic did not suggeste any brand , just said STOP oil.. perhaps suggested a stop oil of american brand, which he cant re-call..
I am in middleeast.. I am not sure of the brand. need to go and check.. I am planning to try this out this weekened.. I will be on a long drive this weekened
Anyone has any bad exp by using This/stop oil or liquid Moly, for Lexus RX300 (Mine is 2002)
I've had no bad experiences using the Liqui Moly product. I even used it in my girlfriend's Ford Expedition and that's put a stop to oil consumption issues she was having earlier.
Old 03-31-09, 01:27 AM
aejaz
Rookie

Thanks to Salimshah and Lexmex for continiously responding to my questions

Only one guy recognized the name liqui moly and confirmed its available in the market here ..
However All other shops i checked have some stop oil but not liqui moly brand (around $3 for 440ml)..

Not sure now what to use to be safe.. Some mechanics say the stop oils are spoiling the engines..

Apolgize for my ignorance...I found the following by lexmex on an other site

AutoRX- this is a product my uncle has used for several years when I was in Mexico (we imported it as needed which is difficult), but it can help with sludge issues and leaks. TunedRX300 on Club Lexus is using it in his RX300. It does not always work, but for the price it is worth a try. Keep in mind there are certain instructions for using this product. This should probably go under engine flush, though I know a few people add a slight amount as an oil additive.

Restore- They also make a fuel injector cleaner, but this is the oil additive. Known for helping restore compression, I have found this product to be a useful cleaner, too.

Oil Extreme- Best oil additive I have ever used. Has immediate impact whereas other additives you may or may not see improvement over times Helps keep the oil and other additives from depositing and accumulating, much better flow. I found it very useful in helping maintain Spring and Fall like performance during the Summer, when it is much hotter of course

Liqui Moly MOS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment- For the price, the best anti-friction additive on the market. You are most likely to find it at Napa Auto Stores under the Lubro Moly brand.

Liqui Moly CeraTec- A very expensive anti-friction product. Several friends down here along with myself have added this product. I added this to my oil about 1,500 miles before I put in the German Castrol. Slightly better compression and a quieter engine is all that I have noticed, and this is the second time I have used it. Although Napa Auto stores carry Liqu Moly products branded as Lubro Moly, you are unlikely to find this particular product in the United States.

Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver- If you have problems with compression and Restore does not solve it (for your piston walls), then chances are you have an issue with your piston rings. This product was recommended to me by friends at the track in Tlalnepantla and they told me it would work like crazy glue shortly after putting it in. It can help regenerate the piston rings and you will notice a significant improvement in engine compression. I highly recommend this product before having engine work doen for compression related reas

Which one to use AutoRX-

The mechanic adviced me to use one litre of additive ("Stop oil" in his words).. and fill the rest with the motor oil....
Old 03-31-09, 01:47 AM
aejaz
Rookie

Addition to the above found the following

Liqui Moli have the "Sludge remover" and the "Motor Oil Saver" which seems to suit my
requirements , not sure if any of these are in the market..
Old 03-31-09, 06:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by aejaz
Addition to the above found the following

Liqui Moli have the "Sludge remover" and the "Motor Oil Saver" which seems to suit my
requirements , not sure if any of these are in the market..
I'll try to take a look when I get home as I have a busy day (as if they are in your market). I am still amazed at what those additives did. I recently used the motor oil saver and restore in my girlfriend's Expedition with excellent results. I used the engine flush just before I did the oil change. She's also running German Castrol now and hasn't suffered the consumption issues she had with Mobil 1.
Old 03-31-09, 10:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

aejaz,

Found this from Liqui Moly's site for an SA distributor,

ATCON Ahmed H. Hajjan Trading Est.
P.O. Box 31690
SA-31952 Akrabya,Al Khobar Saudi Arabia
Tel: 00966 3 8945597
Fax: 00966 3 8640068
atcon@sps.net.sa
Old 03-31-09, 11:17 AM
salimshah

Aejaz:

Did you run a compression check on each cylinder?

Are there any leaks (drips of oil)?

The last item to check would be the oil-pump [You may need to work with a good mechanic . I do not know where the pressure gauge can be connected].

The above will help you determine, which is the root cause of your problem and then some one can help you select the best additive.

Salim

Quick Reply: Rx300 Engine Oil Light On After 1000 Km continious travel (Speeds over 120 KMPH)