RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Coolant Flush

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 02:58 PM
JOHNBRAY11
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Flush

Does anyone have DIY pics of this task? Also I have a 99 RX300 AWD do I use the Red or Pink coolant from Toyota/Lexus? Done you have to add water to one of them? Is it okay to use the one that is the 50/50 mix? Sorry all the questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

John
Old 08-07-08, 07:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

This is one I did not too long ago, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=249741

You can use either the Red or the Pink. The red one you have to add water to, but the pink one is a premixed coolant/water. The red one you had 50% coolant and 50% watre.
Old 08-07-08, 11:58 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNBRAY11
Does anyone have DIY pics of this task? Also I have a 99 RX300 AWD do I use the Red or Pink coolant from Toyota/Lexus? Done you have to add water to one of them? Is it okay to use the one that is the 50/50 mix? Sorry all the questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

John
John- I believe the RX has block drains, if it does I would suggest opening those as well when you do a flush. I always remove the thermostat to do a flush if it isn't too difficult, no impedment to the circulation that way. Though my wife's '02 Camry came with pink, I changed it to red because I liked it better. The pink left this chalky residue wherever it seeped (as when you loosen the cap to look in the rad.) Also, my DIL's 99RX had never had the coolant changed when I changed it at 97k mi. The coolant was as crystal clear as anything I have ever seen- I couldn't believe my eyes. I figured if it lasted that long in her RX, I would never think of leaving it that long, so it was red for me! Beware though, the price has about doubled on that stuff in recent time.
Old 08-08-08, 05:46 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Your RX came with Toyota Long Life coolant (red) which is good for 30,000 miles. In 2004 Toyota/Lexus started using Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (Pink) which is rated for 100,000 miles. The super long life is backward compatible so many are using it to replace the long life. It is also pre-mixed and more expensive than long life. Toyota coolants have become so expensive I prefer to use one of the brand name aftermarket red coolants which cost around $5 a gallon compared to almost $20 a gallon for Toyota. Another option is Prestone All Makes and Models. I keep a gallon of this in the garage for topping off the family cars. It makes life a little easier being that our RX has red, our Matrix pink, and our GM orange (Dexcool).
Old 08-09-08, 12:25 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikey00
Your RX came with Toyota Long Life coolant (red) which is good for 30,000 miles. In 2004 Toyota/Lexus started using Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (Pink) which is rated for 100,000 miles. The super long life is backward compatible so many are using it to replace the long life. It is also pre-mixed and more expensive than long life. Toyota coolants have become so expensive I prefer to use one of the brand name aftermarket red coolants which cost around $5 a gallon compared to almost $20 a gallon for Toyota. Another option is Prestone All Makes and Models. I keep a gallon of this in the garage for topping off the family cars. It makes life a little easier being that our RX has red, our Matrix pink, and our GM orange (Dexcool).
Mikey- My wife's '02 Camry came with the pink SLLC but as my prior post states, I didn't like the stuff so removed it at about 25- 30k. When my DIL's 99RX looked like it had just been poured in at 97k when I changed it (it had never been changed before), that was good enough for me. As a matter of fact I just purchased some red today for my '04 f-150 PU because I was so impressed with it. The Dexcool is the worst junk I have ever seen. I had it in a '95 Eddie Bower PU that I bought new and also a '95 Taurus SE that I bought new for my wife. I took it out of both of them. When I was still working (for county transportation) we had a lot of GM vehicles with it and the radiators sometimes wouldn't last 40k mi. I have been as impressed with the red as I have been unimpressed with Dexcool. I think you probably get what you pay for. ($5 vs $20) As a matter of fact what I purchased today was $23.95 a gallon on coupon and list about $32. for the red- still didn't stop me from buying it.
Old 08-09-08, 07:06 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by code58
Mikey- My wife's '02 Camry came with the pink SLLC but as my prior post states, I didn't like the stuff so removed it at about 25- 30k. When my DIL's 99RX looked like it had just been poured in at 97k when I changed it (it had never been changed before), that was good enough for me. As a matter of fact I just purchased some red today for my '04 f-150 PU because I was so impressed with it. The Dexcool is the worst junk I have ever seen. I had it in a '95 Eddie Bower PU that I bought new and also a '95 Taurus SE that I bought new for my wife. I took it out of both of them. When I was still working (for county transportation) we had a lot of GM vehicles with it and the radiators sometimes wouldn't last 40k mi. I have been as impressed with the red as I have been unimpressed with Dexcool. I think you probably get what you pay for. ($5 vs $20) As a matter of fact what I purchased today was $23.95 a gallon on coupon and list about $32. for the red- still didn't stop me from buying it.
I was in no way saying to use Dexcool (orange). I share your views on it. The only reason I have it in one car is it came in it new and I still have very low mileage on it. I do think Toyota red is overpriced and use the aftermarket reds instead.
Old 08-10-08, 12:26 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikey00
I was in no way saying to use Dexcool (orange). I share your views on it. The only reason I have it in one car is it came in it new and I still have very low mileage on it. I do think Toyota red is overpriced and use the aftermarket reds instead.
Yea Mikey, I realized you weren't advocating using Dexcool. I'm curious what red you use. All anti-freeze has gone through the roof- I assume it is somehow a derivitive of crude oil. The last red I bought about a year ago was $12.95 w/coupon. I was shocked to see even the Prestone's in the $16.- $17. range at WM a while back.

I didn't mean to infer that the 2 '95 Ford's that we had came with Dexcool, I had added it because it was a "long life anti-freeze". That was before I realized what junk it was. There are still people who love it. Someone once said "there's a butt for every seat". Guess it applies in this case.

Last edited by code58; 08-10-08 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 07:22 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by code58
Yea Mikey, I realized you weren't advocating using Dexcool. I'm curious what red you use. All anti-freeze has gone through the roof- I assume it is somehow a derivitive of crude oil. The last red I bought about a year ago was $12.95 w/coupon. I was shocked to see even the Prestone's in the $16.- $17. range at WM a while back.

I didn't mean to infer that the 2 '95 Ford's that we had came with Dexcool, I had added it because it was a "long life anti-freeze". That was before I realized what junk it was. There are still people who love it. Someone once said "there's a butt for every seat". Guess it applies in this case.
After reading your post about anti-freeze prices going through the roof, I did some checking and was suprised at the high prices. Last time I did a price check was about 2 years ago, Walmart Prestone All Makes and Models was about $6, Toyota LL Red was about $18, Toyota SLL Pink was about $18 (it's pre-mixed so you only get 1/2 of the product for same price). The Toyota prices should be 15% off list. Currently WM is at $11 for Prestone All Makes and Models, Toyota lists at about $32 (per your post), so about $27 at 15% off, $17 for the aftermarket red I am using.
I have to find out the name of the aftermarket red my oil change guy is using next time I get my oil changed. My 01 came with Toyota red when new, then aftermarket red at 30K and 60K, then back to Toyota Red at 90K, then aftermarket red at 120K. I could never tell the difference but I am changing every 30K. Your 100K test may be a better indication. We are only talking $20difference every 30K between aftermarket red and Toyota red so I guess it's not that big of a deal.
The Prestone All Makes and Models looks interesting and is handy to have around for top offs when you have multiple vehicles in the family. I would be tempted to try it for a complete antifreeze change but haven't gotten there yet.
Old 08-11-08, 07:30 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Personally,I think I`ll stick to the Toyota red.RX develops enough other issues on it`s own.At least this is one less to worry about if you stick with the proper coolant.
Old 08-11-08, 10:09 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This "must use Toyota Longlife coolant " is non-sense .

If you read the User Manual, which is Toyota's official doc to recommend what coolant to use, it does not require Toyota branded coolant. It says "ethylene-glycol type...Toyota Longlife or equivalent"

I am running 50% Prestone, 50% distilled water since last summer, no problem at all and lots of $ saved. I opened up all three drain plugs and get all of old coolant out and the SUV is running 100% non-Toyota coolant for over one year now.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 08-11-08 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 12:51 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah,the dipstick on the transmission say`s no need to replace fluid.I certainly hope you don`t abide by that one.Basically it comes down to personal preference,If the prestone works for you,that`s all that matters.People swear by the Amsoil trans.fluid,I found it didn`t work to well at all in my RX.

Last edited by lexus114; 08-11-08 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added
Old 08-12-08, 01:14 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
This "must use Toyota Longlife coolant " is non-sense .

If you read the User Manual, which is Toyota's official doc to recommend what coolant to use, it does not require Toyota branded coolant. It says "ethylene-glycol type...Toyota Longlife or equivalent"

I am running 50% Prestone, 50% distilled water since last summer, no problem at all and lots of $ saved. I opened up all three drain plugs and get all of old coolant out and the SUV is running 100% non-Toyota coolant for over one year now.
Tuned- My reason for being impressed with it (red) is after working in automotive all my life, I have NEVER seen an anti-freeze that looked like it was just poured in at 97k mi. and 8 yrs. and had NEVER been changed. And I'm not the 1st. one who changes their own anti-freeze that has made that observation. I can honestly say I have never seen an American long life that looked like that at those miles and age. That's the reason that I've decided to put it in my F-150, even at $24. a gallon.
Old 08-12-08, 07:47 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm with you, I have 60k on mine and have not changed it yet and it looks like it is brand new. I'm still going to change it soon, but it looks like it has not broken down at all.
Old 08-12-08, 10:27 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing personal experiences. My post is to make members aware that there are choices officially endorsed by Toyota, applicable in the RX300 model. Some may prefer one brand, some may want to pay less, but the User Manual says non-OEM brand works well.

At the end of the day, most drivers just care 1) warranty is not voided 2) car drives well 3) low maintenance. If one really cares about performance and longevity, a lab test of used coolant is better than eye test because exact chemical composition is evaluated objectively and independently.
Old 08-13-08, 01:40 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Thanks for sharing personal experiences. My post is to make members aware that there are choices officially endorsed by Toyota, applicable in the RX300 model. Some may prefer one brand, some may want to pay less, but the User Manual says non-OEM brand works well.

At the end of the day, most drivers just care 1) warranty is not voided 2) car drives well 3) low maintenance. If one really cares about performance and longevity, a lab test of used coolant is better than eye test because exact chemical composition is evaluated objectively and independently.
I understand what you're saying Tuned, but my experience is that when the anti-corrosives break down (yes, anti-freeze is by nature corrosive and has to have anti-c's added to keep it from corroding), evidence of corrosion follows (rust and other gunk). When there is NO EVIDENCE of corrosion (I mean ZERO), I think it's a fair judgement that it is not present. I DO NOT advocate waiting till your anti-freeze gets dirty to change it. I change mine about every 2yrs. for regular and every 3 to 4 for long life anti- freeze. It still looks like new when I take it out. My point is I have NEVER in all my years in automotive seen an anti- freeze look ABSOLUTELY NEW at the high miles and years that the TOYOTA Long Life does. Take it back, I have seen it once in a Mitsubishi that was not well taken care of, had long life and at almost 100k mi. it still looked new. (and it had definitely not been changed)