RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Some intake modifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 05:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by gazi001
Ron, Why you don't like to use plastic/pvc tubing? Any problems. What kind of pipes are you thinking?
For heat it is great (I usually mash some duct tape in there so that any warpage over time from heat is taken care of), however aluminum (when protected right) would keep the air cooler. Aesthetically (and I took many knocks in Mexico for this) it's not the prettiest thing in the world.
Old 05-13-13, 12:34 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
For heat it is great (I usually mash some duct tape in there so that any warpage over time from heat is taken care of), however aluminum (when protected right) would keep the air cooler. Aesthetically (and I took many knocks in Mexico for this) it's not the prettiest thing in the world.
So basically you think aluminum or stainless steel pipe will be better from the MAF to all the way to the bumper by bullhorn. If you could protect by duct tape or anything from the heat. It is cooler than plastic/PVC! Where is the best source to get all this bending pipe. I got my secret weapon R intake and would like to do your way if I get the same size pipes to add with WR. I saw some people in other forums install filter all the way in bumper. Is it any way to keep this WR filter in the bumper. I mean any room for this? Thanks.
Old 05-13-13, 02:04 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

How about this pipes? http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...ry_Code=PIP300
Old 05-14-13, 08:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gazi001
So basically you think aluminum or stainless steel pipe will be better from the MAF to all the way to the bumper by bullhorn. If you could protect by duct tape or anything from the heat. It is cooler than plastic/PVC! Where is the best source to get all this bending pipe. I got my secret weapon R intake and would like to do your way if I get the same size pipes to add with WR. I saw some people in other forums install filter all the way in bumper. Is it any way to keep this WR filter in the bumper. I mean any room for this? Thanks.
I plan to wrap the piping (heat wrap or similar wrap). I've seen a lot of piping on Amazon (I won't need much), but am taking a look at local suppliers. It's been very difficult with work (constantly busy) to even get to shops that are open during the week (but not on weekends).

I have seen people put the filter down low (was a common site on Dodge Neon SRT-4s at my track in Mexico) and they had a lot less space than we did down low where that white intake resonator goes.

There are so many piping places out there.

If I have some time during the week beyond work, I will try to show some diagrams of what I am thinking of doing (may have shown this before), but I will try to be more explicit.
Old 05-14-13, 01:29 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Ron. I installed the Secret WR today by using RAM to the the bumper hole by horn. I will test how it perform now. I removed the oem intake tube under the fuse box ( like you did) and run ram pipe that way to the bumper hole. So let me know when you will have time to do by aluminium pipe etc.
Old 05-20-13, 08:53 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I got dramatically improvement of mpg after upgraded to SW intake with RAM kits to the bumper hole. I will post actual mpg after few days. Now I get 65 mph plus speed with around 2200 rpm and feel like very strong. Here is some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Some intake modifications-photo-2-.jpg   Some intake modifications-photo-5-.jpg  
Old 05-20-13, 08:55 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I added heat shield with the filter which inner side has silicon tape.
Attached Thumbnails Some intake modifications-photo-3-.jpg   Some intake modifications-photo-4-.jpg  
Old 05-22-13, 12:46 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

That's phenomenal.

What I have always noticed the addition of the lower bullhorn type intake is that the accelerator pedal gets stiff. That air really rams in there.