RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What type engine oil for Rx 300 with 191,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-08, 08:41 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Stick to 50% Toyota Red Coolant and 50% water or if you can find it 100% Toyota Pink Coolant (which is premixed with water). At high altitude, many remember I used a vastly different mix than this for different reasons.
What I have now is the red, looks perfect condition,not cloudy, can see inside the radiator to the fins..
I usually just fill my other vehicles up with 100% coolant.. Is there an advantage to half and half? I see it would cost less, would it cool more effeciently than 100%?
thanks
Old 07-30-08, 09:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hcfarm
What I have now is the red, looks perfect condition,not cloudy, can see inside the radiator to the fins..
I usually just fill my other vehicles up with 100% coolant.. Is there an advantage to half and half? I see it would cost less, would it cool more effeciently than 100%?
thanks
For daily driving I'd stick to that.

Funny you mention 100% coolant, because that's exactly what I used to do back in Mexico City, where you do need cooling. Unfortunately, water added to the cooling system there would soon finds it way out of the system. That's why you used to see people getting their coolant system topped off virtually any time you stopped at a gas station in that city. I had a more unfortunate experience once with my uncle's Dodge Caravan, where in our stupidity we had filled it up with water instead of coolant in a pinch one morning and when I came back in the afternoon, it overheated, but luckily I stopped the vehicle in time. There were a lot of strange things going on up there.

However, at sea level that water is more vital and the coolant is still needed for lubrication for the water pump and to keep down corrosion. Some people like to run a 70% water, 30% coolant. However, those that I know who do this end up changing out the coolant more often as a safeguard against corrosion, especially as the vehicle gets older. That's why I think Toyota is right with a 50/50, just that they should add a * for places like Mexico City.
Old 07-30-08, 10:02 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thanks , I am narrowing down my questions, thanks for your attention to detail..alot of good info and help from these threads..
jon

Funny you mention 100% coolant, because that's exactly what I used to do back in Mexico City, where you do need cooling. Unfortunately, water added to the cooling system there would soon finds it way out of the system. That's why you used to see people getting their coolant system topped off virtually any time you stopped at a gas station in that city. I had a more unfortunate experience once with my uncle's Dodge Caravan, where in our stupidity we had filled it up with water instead of coolant in a pinch one morning and when I came back in the afternoon, it overheated, but luckily I stopped the vehicle in time. There were a lot of strange things going on up there.

However, at sea level that water is more vital and the coolant is still needed for lubrication for the water pump and to keep down corrosion. Some people like to run a 70% water, 30% coolant. However, those that I know who do this end up changing out the coolant more often as a safeguard against corrosion, especially as the vehicle gets older. That's why I think Toyota is right with a 50/50, just that they should add a * for places like Mexico City.
Old 07-30-08, 10:11 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thanks , I am narrowing down my questions, thanks for your attention to detail..alot of good info and help from these threads..
jon

Old 05-21-14, 04:59 PM
westerj
Driver School Candidate

Default is high mileage a reason not to change?

My Mechanic Said Changing The Fluid At High Mileage (170K ) Was Asking For The Friction Material To Dissolve... Sounds Like180 Degrees From What Here Sentiment Is here.

Perhaps Its High Risk, Low Reward For Him To Do A
Change?

If I Do Undertake It, Should I Do Pan And Gasket And Filter? Am Not Afraid Of A Wrench!

Rear Diff, Transfer Case Too?

Pretty Sure It's Been A Long While.. I Will Give Fluid A Look For Clarity, And Smell To start.

Thanks! John
Old 05-21-14, 05:14 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by westerj
My Mechanic Said Changing The Fluid At High Mileage (170K ) Was Asking For The Friction Material To Dissolve... Sounds Like180 Degrees From What Here Sentiment Is here.

Perhaps Its High Risk, Low Reward For Him To Do A
Change?

If I Do Undertake It, Should I Do Pan And Gasket And Filter? Am Not Afraid Of A Wrench!

Rear Diff, Transfer Case Too?

Pretty Sure It's Been A Long While.. I Will Give Fluid A Look For Clarity, And Smell To start.

Thanks! John
Welcome.

i would find a new mechanic. Change your fluids as necessary and per the recommended service intervals.
Old 01-31-18, 08:18 PM
OlaEmma
Driver School Candidate

i am also new to the forum,and i just pirchased lexus 300 2000 model, but from little research that have made, though from unreliable source is that
Mobil- oil is relatively the best.

A better experience user of lexus can pls help us out

the question is well stated:
1. What is the oil brand and weight, I live in the deep North,that you would recommend?
2. What type oil filter?
3. How often should I change oil?
4. hould I use any additives
5. Engine check light remain On.
6. Am also interested in getting a scanner to read my codes,
Old 01-31-18, 09:33 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

OlaEmma,

1. What is the oil brand and weight, I live in the deep North,that you would recommend? Lexus officially approves 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils for the Rx300. I run 5W-30, but think any will work fine.
2. What type oil filter? I have used Purolator One and OEM Lexus filters. My local mechanic used some generic filters when he used to do my changes.
3. How often should I change oil? the manual says every 7500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. I usually change mine every 5000 miles regardless of calendar.
4. hould I use any additives? Not unless you have some serious issue with leaks. You might consider using high mileage oil
5. Engine check light remain On. Get the codes read ASAP.
6. Am also interested in getting a scanner to read my codes, Good idea. I recommend a bluetooth OBDII reader and torque app if you use an android phone. At worst, buy a basic wired reader from amazon for less than $20.

Make sure you monitor your oil level for oil consumption roughly every 500 miles for about 2000 miles. Some of our vehicles burn oil due to the rear valve cover, and you do not want your first indication of that being the oil pressure light coming on.
The following users liked this post:
OlaEmma (01-31-18)
Old 03-03-18, 04:31 AM
joetifosi
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good quality name brand oil is always best. I like 10W-30 syn. on summer and 5W -30 syn in winter. also the K&N filters are nice since they have a welded nut on top that makes the change out soooo much easier!