RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

transmission failure 2000 rx300

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 09:22 AM
larryjoh2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission failure 2000 rx300

Yesterday my tranny failed on my rx300 with only 73K miles. All service work was completed at dealership. Just wanted to add my complaint on this forum along with all the others experiencing no support from Toyota on this problem. I will be harassing Lexus USA HQ in Torrance, CA, and I have filed a complaint with nhtsa. Meanwhile, my rebuilt transmission cost me $4000 at an independent shop. We were planning on purchasing another Lexus in 2 years, but now we will look at Acura, since it appears Honda better supports their customers.
Old 06-20-08, 09:29 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by larryjoh2
Yesterday my tranny failed on my rx300 with only 73K miles. All service work was completed at dealership. Just wanted to add my complaint on this forum along with all the others experiencing no support from Toyota on this problem. I will be harassing Lexus USA HQ in Torrance, CA, and I have filed a complaint with nhtsa. Meanwhile, my rebuilt transmission cost me $4000 at an independent shop. We were planning on purchasing another Lexus in 2 years, but now we will look at Acura, since it appears Honda better supports their customers.
Sorry to hear about that Larry,I assume your`s is AWD?
Old 06-20-08, 09:43 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

sorry to hear that 1) transmission failed and 2) Lexus is not helping you.

I am surprised you went to an independent for repair. You almost blow your chances of total-partial assist when you do that. Even with 100% warranty coverage, prior approval is always required/desired.

Salim
Old 06-20-08, 11:40 AM
larryjoh2
Driver School Candidate

yes, it's awd. After talking with the discouraging local dealership, I decided to go with the independent. I just hope there is a class action suit. I'll keep the pictures and receipts of the tranny before and after.
larry
Old 06-20-08, 12:00 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Yeah I know I don`t like their attitude regarding this at all.You expect a lot more when you buy/own a Lexus.
Old 06-20-08, 01:19 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by larryjoh2
yes, it's awd. After talking with the discouraging local dealership, I decided to go with the independent. I just hope there is a class action suit. I'll keep the pictures and receipts of the tranny before and after.
larry
I know you are angry, disappointed and had a financial set back.

Now look at the situation from another view point ... did the dealer/manufacturer provide you the promised warranty work? Which promise or legally binding understanding did they break or failed to live up to?

Sorry for sounding so cruel and heartless, but you have to step away from emotions to analyze the situation. You have every reason to expect more life out of your vehicle, but any thing Lexus does beyond warranty is pure good-will. [that may or may not be for your/consumer's best interest]

One thing of interest is the root cause of failure. Lexus has been quiet about it and if your repair facility can share, it would be great. Lot of owners are now resorting to more frequent fluid change, but there is no evidence to support it.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-20-08 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-21-08, 08:06 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
I know you are angry, disappointed and had a financial set back.

Now look at the situation from another view point ... did the dealer/manufacturer provide you the promised warranty work? Which promise or legally binding understanding did they break or failed to live up to?

Sorry for sounding so cruel and heartless, but you have to step away from emotions to analyze the situation. You have every reason to expect more life out of your vehicle, but any thing Lexus does beyond warranty is pure good-will. [that may or may not be for your/consumer's best interest]

One thing of interest is the root cause of failure. Lexus has been quiet about it and if your repair facility can share, it would be great. Lot of owners are now resorting to more frequent fluid change, but there is no evidence to support it.

Salim
And they still seem failure prone even with more frequent fluid changes.Their kinda set in their ways so to speak.My belief is,Toyota simply didn`t build the trans. strong enough for the added strain of AWD.It`s basically the same internals as used in FWD versions.However,I do wonder if additional cooling would prolong the failures.I know it runs very hot(trans,) during summer months
Old 06-21-08, 09:27 AM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

this transmission failure problem, does this affect 2003 model awd as well? should i be on the lookout for symptoms? ive got 89k miles on my rx 300.
Old 06-21-08, 01:48 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by praxis
this transmission failure problem, does this affect 2003 model awd as well? should i be on the lookout for symptoms? ive got 89k miles on my rx 300.
You should be fine,they solved the problem in 2002.What ever the exact problem was,remains a mystery.It`s all speculation and theories.
Old 06-21-08, 02:36 PM
praxis
Driver School Candidate

sorry to be a pain, but ive heard of engine sludge issues as well... is this a model year designated problem too?

in as much as a person can try to make the best choices for themselves, before i bought this used 2003 i did research it and contact the dealer who did all the service on it and verified the sheduled maintenace. oil changes, reccomended mileage point work, etc. i had read about transmission issues in the earlier models but was confused and had not seen this forum till after i had purchased my 2003. being a rookie, i am relieved i decided to go with the 2003.

thank you for the information. i am glad i found this resource, this forum has been very helpful. initially i inquired about an o2 sensor. the advice given me was right on the money!

i want to add, Lexus Of North Hills near Pissburgh, Pa has been very decent to me. they have given me helpful advice even when i have told them i intended to take the rx to my local mechanic for the "easy stuff" rather than travel 80 miles. i do however always take the rx to them for important stuff.
Old 06-23-08, 09:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

2003`s are safe from the previous dilemma`s.

Last edited by lexus114; 06-23-08 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-24-08, 06:16 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Shame, if all service was by Lexus you might have gotten a goodwill adjustment for the tranny change, I know some dealers are butt heads, but many have gotten adjustments with that kind of service and only paid 1700 for labor....The tranny was free...sorry to hear of your failure...
Old 06-24-08, 10:36 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Our 2002 AWD has 120k miles on it. I service it frequently. Dropped the pan twice with many separate drain/refills.

We have a Toyota Highlander AWD. Should be the same at the RX300.
Old 06-24-08, 10:52 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by thomas1
Shame, if all service was by Lexus you might have gotten a goodwill adjustment for the tranny change, I know some dealers are butt heads, but many have gotten adjustments with that kind of service and only paid 1700 for labor....The tranny was free...sorry to hear of your failure...
That is what I had hoped for too, but once you go to an independent, the chances go from slim to none. I suspect there is some non real $$$ involved and the margins between the two (dealer and manufacturer) create some more savings.

Just speculations though.

Salim
Old 06-24-08, 11:02 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

I just wonder if these transmissions really need to be rebuilt all of the time.I would bet more often than not,it`s something more easily remedied.

Quick Reply: transmission failure 2000 rx300