RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Side Steps or Side bars -- which should I go for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-02, 08:46 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Side Steps or Side bars -- which should I go for?

I've been thinking about whether to get Side Steps or the Side bars...

What do you all think and recommend?

I am planning to install the JAOS front center protector
here's the jaos link:

http://www.jaosusa.com/products/cent...r/cp_rx300.htm

and think that getting the side bars will match better... but wouldn't the side steps be eaier to use and more practical?

Opinions, please....

thanks,
Hendry
Old 02-12-02, 11:26 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

hey hleo... i was bout to do the same thing... but i'm constricted with money... i'm broke...

I was going to also go with the Jaos center protect R... but i decided to go with the rod millen chrome grill guards...

I have seen a white rx300 with JAOS all over and it did look SWEET... i was jocking it... but yea...

go for the tubes... looks way better then the steps...

btw, how much are u going to get your JAOS stuff for?
Old 02-13-02, 10:15 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Side Steps or Side bars -- which should I go for?

Originally posted by hleo1
I've been thinking about whether to get Side Steps or the Side bars...
Hendry, What do you mean when you say "Side Steps or Bars"?
I have Waag side steps that are tubes... Do you mean just the tubes that are there for show? If thats the case you are right, the steps are more practical and will get some use. Especially if you have kids...
Old 02-13-02, 11:11 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Yup, that's right... Jaos's Side bars are strickly tube bars for show, so I don't think that's practical at all...

How much you got your Waag side steps for? I think I want to get like yours, since it's a combination of the bars with steps on it...

I don't have kids (yet), but I think it'll match the car better after I put the Jaos front bars...
Old 02-13-02, 11:14 AM
hleo1
Pole Position

Spinteews,

I think the Jaos Front protector sells for around $595-$600 something... I actually got it from Ebay recently for $410. Got lucky and won the bid -- brand new too.
The RMM bar also looks very cool....
Old 02-13-02, 11:57 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Wow, I didn't realize the Jaos bar was so expensive. That thing must have a large profit margin. Then you add the lights and skid plate, you are talking big $$$ sitting on your bumper. He** A full, one piece brushguard goes for less than that!

hleo1, I'd love to see some pics when you've finished installing the Jaos bar and if you get the sidesteps/bars, those too.

I like the look of the RMM bar too. Though it isn's as rounded as I thought it was. You can tell by looking at the black RX on RMM's website.

-Nick
Old 02-13-02, 12:47 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Hendrey, I am not sure where I got the side steps from. I bought all the WAAG parts from 3 different companies, but I got the cheapest prices for each part.... I think I got the sides from Urban Jungle SUV. But I am not sure.. I will take a look around and tell you where is the cheapest...Urban Jungle...
Old 02-13-02, 01:24 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

OK, here it is.... Urban Jungle has them the cheapest that I could find $249. plus shipping.... Then there waswww.jjproducts.net who are selling them for $263. with free shipping... Those 2 were the cheapest I found.. Hope this helps....
Old 02-13-02, 04:03 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

I have a problem...

Urban Jungle offered it at $229 plus shipping, very good price! But I just remember that the Jaos Front bar is Chrome, so I need the Waag side steps in chrome to match, right?

So I spoke with Ian at Urban Jungle, asked him if I can get the Waag side steps in chrome... put me on hold, and came back to me saying that Waag is able to chrome it (special order), but the price will be $210 extra!!! Oh-no! Plus it's a 5-6 weeks wait plus delivery... so comes down to about 6-7 weeks...

Now I'm confused... I love the Waag, but I have to get it in chrome to match the front, but $$$$$ ...

any other alternative brands?
Old 02-13-02, 04:22 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I didn't think the WAAG's were that much more expensive in chrome. Manik has some great looking side steps for the RX, but they aren't "no drill installation" like the WAAG.

-Nick
Old 02-13-02, 04:25 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Other Brands.. Hmm.... Manic or Westin our the only other brands that I know who make quality stuff. I believe both companies have chrome side steps....
Old 02-13-02, 04:27 PM
hleo1
Pole Position

Hmmm... I'll check around more... or perhaps I can get the bars chromed locally... cheaper? more expensive?
Old 02-13-02, 04:46 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

hleo1, look on page 7 of the RX gallery. There is a white RX pictured there with sidesteps; I believe those are the Maniks.

https://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/cl...JPG&img=48&tt=

-Nick
Old 02-14-02, 10:57 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

ya you can go for the manik one tho... it requires drilling and i want my setup to be all chrome also...

Did the guy on ebay send you the JAOS grill yet??
i saw that on ebay and was going to bid on it but i was still deciding on either the JAOS or the RMM...

I have the all silver silversprort... what color bars would look nice? black or chrome??

I was thinking chrome all the way... but dunno
Old 02-14-02, 11:09 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

spinteews, I think I would go with the chrome. With the RMM bar and sidesteps, it would look really good. I would accent the silver color nicely. I think accessories like, sidesteps, pushbars etc look best in chrome, on the RX.

The only way I would go black it with a full-on brush guard like mrsypher. IMO chrome would be too much with a brush guard. I went with a glossy black finish on my '93 Explorer with a brushguard and tail light guards.

-Nick

Quick Reply: Side Steps or Side bars -- which should I go for?