RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

So I found out the option list on my RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-02, 04:07 PM
Jeff92se
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I found out the option list on my RX

I've mentioned before I bought my 2000 RX used from another dealer. I wanted to know if mine had the optional LSD in the rear.

After filling out the change of owership card in the owner's manual and waiting about 3 weeks, I called Lexus customer service. 180025LEXUS. The guy was pretty friendly and confirmed my card was received. After running the vin, he ran down the options list for me. No biggie as 99% of them are visible. But of course the LSD is not. He confirmed I DO in fact have it. Sweet!

I know in 2001, they dropped the lsd and added electronic gizmos(vst? or something?) to add traction but I kinda would rather have the old fashioned mechanical traction aid of limit slip rear differential.

So anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Lexus customer service is pretty good!

Jeff
Old 02-09-02, 04:47 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Jeff, it's VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) but I agree, I'd rather have the mechanical LSD (which is why I do). Just wish that it had been an option on my GS (since it is on the IS).

Glad you've had good experience! It started when you bought the RX!!!! Now get those CrossTerrains on the car.........
Old 02-09-02, 09:06 PM
satxrx
Driver

Default re: LSD

I've got the limited slip differential on one and not the other. I'm wondering though about the weight issue versus the mechanical LSD.

What makes the mechanical LSD better than the VSC and TRAC? And isn't the extra weight a "con" for the RX?

just wonderin'
Old 02-10-02, 04:47 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

satx, I can't say for sure but wouldn't expect the weight difference to be more than a few pounds (20 or soat most). It would tend to slightly improve front/rear weight distribution.

As far as traction is concerned, an LSD sends power to the (rear) wheel with more traction when one starts to spin. VSC functions by seperate wheel braking and even retarding engine power if necessary. Punch the RX hard from a standing stop while turning left across traffic on slick streets. With LSD, you won't lose momentum if/when you start to spin a rear wheel (admittedly the fronts are already trying to spin, transferring torque to the rear thru the viscous coupling) and will continue progress at close to the same rate of acceleration. With VSC, your acceleration will be slowed since the Lexus VSC program is both vigilant and very intrusive when it comes to preventing ANY wheelspin.

Some other mfgr's systems (Porshce, BMW, Chevy's version for the Corvette) allow some wheelspin. It may seem somewhat apples to oranges to compare the stability systems of sports cars to our SUV, but my point is simply that I a system that maintains momentum even in AWD or 4WD vehicles to one that retards it.

That was longer than I meant it to be......sorry!
Old 02-11-02, 09:30 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

Yeah! What he said! Thanks for the explaination. I agree, I would rather have a system that just transfers the power to the grippiest wide or either rear wheel. In fact, I would almost rather have the lsd in the FRONT end instead of the rear end. But maybe it cheaper to do the rear end lsd. Do they just use the same lsd from the IS300 and other RWD lexus vehicles? If so, I could understand that.

As for the new tires, yup. You bet I'm taking notes on which tires you guys use. I have about 25k on my Goodfears but actually have about 1/3 - 1/2 life left. Also don't have any complaints yet(but then again, never really put them to the test yet either)