RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

My SUV impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-02, 07:41 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My SUV impressions...VERY LONG, if u dont like bedtime stories dont click...

Ok, I own and have owned 3 SUVs so far:
97' Pathfinder SE 5spd, 4WD.
88' Range Rover.
02' RX300 AWD.
Thought i do a comparison now because my RX just past the 1200mile break in period.

First the pathfinder because it was my first SUV. Its the sports car of the bunch because of the handling, steering feel and the 5spd. The car is quite slow but i always shift close to red-line and love it. The engine and exhaust note is typical of a truck=BAD. But i lived with it for 3 years and it was dead reliable with 0 problems, 0!!!! plus i loved the $20 oil change. The interior compared to the other 2 is super low-end, cloth seats and rubber steering wheel, really doesnt make it anywhere close to luxurious. Overall, the car handles great for an SUV but it doesnt have the vroom and gas mileage of normal sedans. I really love it because i never cared about going over bad roads or parking in "good" spots, its a truck and i treat it like one, but in 3 years i never took it off road, just went over sidewalks and once on grass. But it was great in the snow when i switch to 4wd. Would recommed the pathfinder or QX4 anyday after this one.

Then there's the Range Rover, this truck was owned by my aunt until last year it had 90,000 miles when i took care. Surprisingly, the truck is very luxurious compared to the pathfinder and the mystique of the range rover really made me love the car. Fill in your favorite R-Kelly video scene here........=) The car is in perfect condition and even the leather is in good non-cracked condition. The name Range rover, made me love the car much more than the nissan. But at first, its a pain and a slug to drive. The steering has absolutely no feel, and handling is non-exsistant. Although it has a V8 its so slow upon take off, and only on the hi-way, i feel comfortable with its lack of power. Passing others in this thing is a well thought out exercise. But the off-road, worthyness is amazing, i love going over curbs and sidewalks, and when i do with this car it felt so soft and comfortable, sort of like a magic carpet, not like the big bang i get in the RX or pathfinder. I still dont know how they manage that, maybe because of its soft shocks. It has to be experienced to believe it. The interior is very dated, but have enough gadgets to keep it quite modern. You sit very tall and upright and you will feel very much like a english gentleman driving it=snobbish. No ergonomics at the time, so it takes some getting used to, to the "character". I really love this car and hope it stays with me for a long time. After all its a true classic.

Then the RX, its the most modern SUV and so far the best, it doesnt handle as good as my pathfinder and doesnt have the bling bling name of the range rover but its by far the most comfortable. I feel super rich in this car. The interior is so comfortable, the tan wood and leather feels better than most german sedans, and the engine is smooth and powerful. I especially love the engine note above 4Gs. Its smooth and silky. But i think i really need 19" wheels to make it stand out more. The interior room is better than both the nissan and rover. So far i only regret i didnt get the nav, but otherwise this is really an awesome car, but i guess u guys already knew that, so i'll shut up.=)

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by JohnsRX; 02-15-02 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-06-02, 12:00 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs up Nice Post!!

However, you didn't mention if the Range Rover was reliable. Of course if you've not had this vehicle a long time in your possession it would be difficult to judge it's long-term dependability........from what I've heard from friends an aquaintances, the Rover is a "reliability nightmare"..........but I do see your point of having an "ABSORBENT" and "COMPLIANT" suspension going over obstacles!!...........Even though my 4-Runner is supposedly very off-road capable, I cringe every time I have to go over a bump, because the suspension is so ROCK HARD that it practically dislodges every bone in my body (well, it could have something to do with the uncomfortable "sport seats").........and it's not like I'm old and brittle, either (I'm 28 and in good shape - So if I've got to say this, then it's reaaalllly bad)
Old 02-06-02, 10:07 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Re: Nice Post!!

Yea....actually they are reliable cars if u spend A LOT in preventive mantainence. There are several things that can and WILL go bad in a range rover. Once you spend around $600 for service a year to check on them, you will have a pretty reliable car, but yea thats 10 times more than what i pay for the pathfinder. Im your age, and agree that it isnt comfortable at all for anything other than a range rover to go over bad roads. U really have to try it to believe how nice the ride is. I especially hate it when i climb off a curb or sidewalk in the RX or pathfinder, it makes a big bang that sounds like the suspension bottomed out or something wrong happened, but u know everything's fine. Those commercials of these vehicles gliding over bad terrain doesnt show the passengers being tossed all over the place!!=)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vicpai
[B]However, you didn't mention if the Range Rover was reliable.
Old 02-07-02, 05:46 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vic....do u have any pics of ur 4Runner (or any mods)? I have a 97 4Runner SR5 (along w/ my SC300) and i would like to get some off road mods done to it. Currently i have a few lil things done to it but not much. I know what u mean about the "sport" seats......more like fu%$ing hard seats, but i like the 4Runner. And yes, the 96-98 4Runner is supposed to be one of the best off-road vehicles built (with some mods of course: lift, etc.). I really don't notice the hard suspension, but i could care less (im a senior in high school) and i kinda like being thrown around. The only complaint w/ my 4Runner is that many times when braking from like 30, the whole front dash of the car shakes. It's awful, but i have heard of other people having this problem and it has to do with the brakes and their posistion or something like that. (The 4Runner is the only vehicle left w/ this setup b/c it is better for off-roading). They probably changed it in '99 though.
Old 02-07-02, 06:37 PM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by MyLexusSC300
Vic....do u have any pics of ur 4Runner (or any mods)? I have a 97 4Runner SR5 (along w/ my SC300) and i would like to get some off road mods done to it. Currently i have a few lil things done to it but not much. I know what u mean about the "sport" seats......more like fu%$ing hard seats, but i like the 4Runner. And yes, the 96-98 4Runner is supposed to be one of the best off-road vehicles built (with some mods of course: lift, etc.). I really don't notice the hard suspension, but i could care less (im a senior in high school) and i kinda like being thrown around. The only complaint w/ my 4Runner is that many times when braking from like 30, the whole front dash of the car shakes. It's awful, but i have heard of other people having this problem and it has to do with the brakes and their posistion or something like that. (The 4Runner is the only vehicle left w/ this setup b/c it is better for off-roading). They probably changed it in '99 though.
I also have a 99 4Runner and I also have the shaking when breaking problem. That would be my only complaint as well and also there is a little lack of power.
Old 02-12-02, 10:24 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

i wanted a 4runner really bad... thought i wasn't going to be able to get the lexus thast why... but eventually i was able to get the lexus... but anyways...

if i got my 4runner, the first thing that i would want to do with it is get the TRD supercharger!!! hehehe, gotta have the scoop hood also and probably JAOS out the car...
Old 02-12-02, 12:57 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I love the look of the 4Runner Limited. IMO, it is one of the best looking SUV's out there. The only problems I have with it are power and the interior. It really needs some help inside, but a supercharger would kick the engine into high gear

-Nick