RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need ideas - Rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08, 07:58 AM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ideas - Rear end noise

For the last 7-8 weeks, I have this noise coming from the rear of the vehicle.
It can be best described as a loud Tire like noise. I gets louder as speed increase. My first thought was tires (new Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds Sept/07). I took the rear tires off and inspected for the obvious problems (nails, rocks, direction of rortation, air pressure, etc). I then rotated the tires rear to front and the noise stayed in the rear. Even tried the spare which is a different tread design on the Driver's side rear which seems to be where the sound is the loudest. I'm now thinking perhaps the rear Axle Bearing is going bad and the noise is getting transmitted through the tires ???

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions or ideas.

By the way, it's an 99 AWD with 152,000 miles.
Thanks.
Old 03-29-08, 08:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Shocks can go bad back there, and sometimes bolts can loose on the rear suspension arms, but the most common noise is the lower rubber support going bad on the bottom of the springs, a lot of squeaking.
Old 03-29-08, 12:40 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Have tried jacking up the rear and spinning the tires?

Salim
Old 04-02-08, 10:32 AM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Shocks can go bad back there, and sometimes bolts can loose on the rear suspension arms, but the most common noise is the lower rubber support going bad on the bottom of the springs, a lot of squeaking.

The shocks are probably original and I was going to replace them this spring anyway. Jacked the whole rear up this morning, things still looked tight, no loose bolts on the shocks or susp arms. The lower rubber support looked intact but I could not see the whole thing. I also spun the wheels by hand. Some brake noise. The pads are still good and the rotors were cut about 30K miles ago, when I did the pads.
Old 04-02-08, 06:30 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

If you think it's a bearing. Just drive it and swerve left. If the noise changed then(noise decrease) it's a LR bearing . If you swreve right and the noise changed it's the LR. This is assuming your for sure it's coming from the rear.

By doing this your shifting the weight of the vehicle and loading/unloading a bearing to figure out which is bad.

Goodluck. Oh yeah don't do this behind a cop.
Old 04-14-08, 04:55 AM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Update:

Well, I replaced the rear struts (KYB's) on Saturday, along with new upper mounts and the lower spring seat insulators. (btw, great write-up Lexmex).
Anyway the noise is still there. I had planned to do the struts anyway, so I at least I can rule out the struts now.

I will try the swerving test that Nad1370 mentioned... Come to think of it, I remember the noise changing as I round corners/turns.

Thanks for all the ideas, hopefully I figure this out soon...

Last edited by deepbluesk; 04-14-08 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-14-08, 07:11 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluesk
Update:

Well, I replaced the rear struts (KYB's) on Saturday, along with new upper mounts and the lower spring seat insulators. (btw, great write-up Lexmex).
Anyway the noise is still there. I had planned to do the struts anyway, so I at least I can rule out the struts now.

I will try the swerving test that Nad1370 mentioned... Come to think of it, I remember the noise changing as I round corners/turns.

Thanks for all the ideas, hopefully I figure this out soon...
thanks for coming back and updating, Your feedback helps others a great deal. good luck, maybe it is bearings.
Old 04-27-08, 01:26 PM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Well, I seem to be closing in on the problem.... I had my "better half" at the wheel for a test drive while I was laying down in the back.... The noise is definately coming from the left rear (drivers side) and seems to be getting worse. The right rear is quiet. Just to recap, I've ruled out tires, brakes, strut, strut mount and spring seat. So now I am left with the bearings or something in the axle/CV joint, since that's about the only things left that are rotating.... It would be great to hear from someone who has experience in this area. I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed and what parts I might need ? I was looking at the diagrams on Carson Toyota site but not sure what exactly I might need..... without taking things apart first.

The Knuckle ?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

and/or something with the rear axle ?

Old 04-27-08, 03:24 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

You can get a mechanics stethoscope fro Harborfreight.

Salim
Old 04-28-08, 06:48 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

They even have a amplified one for us old farts.....(stethoscope) I used to use a screwdriver at the end of my ear, worked great, now it looks like an idiot with a screwdriver sticking out of his ear and I cant hear a thing, sucks getting old (too many Navy jets buzzing around in my ears)
Old 04-28-08, 06:51 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

by the way you will have to remove the disk on the rear hub to eliminate any sounds from the brake shoes, then turn the axle to see if the bearing is indeed your problem.
Old 04-28-08, 10:39 AM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Is the bearing part of the Knuckle or something separate ?
Old 04-28-08, 11:10 AM
smerre01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be off here, but in my personal mechanic experience of working for Land Rover and Saturn I would think it could be the wheel bearings, but a simple check that I always do is jack up one side of the car, and try and pull on the tire top and bottom in an alternating motion. If the wheel bearing is good then the tire will not move, however if the bearing is bad the wheel will "wobble" or move in the direction you are currently pulling. I would try that first, and if you are still not sure, well I would replace the bearings first personally but that is just me.
Old 04-28-08, 09:38 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

^^ this is true.
But a bearing can also be bad w/ out any "wobble" in it.
If the bearing race is pitted it will also make a roaring noise but will not have any play on it.

I don't think the bearing is part of the knuckle. It looks like it's held in by 4 nuts in the knuckle and a 30mm nut on the axle shaft. It could also be pressed in there but I don't think so.
Old 04-29-08, 04:46 AM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

I found a better pic of the bearing and seals....

I will take it apart this weekend and see what it looks like....

Any tips on how to adjust the nut on the axle shaft ?

Quick Reply: Need ideas - Rear end noise