RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 RX300 Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 08:08 PM
BigShooter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 99 RX300 Control Arm Bushings

All,

My RX300 has a bad control arm bushing. Nobody in town has them and the Dealer wants $397 for it - says they don't sell just the bushing, but rather sell the CA/Bushing together as a unit. Is it possible to get just the bushings? If so, where? Everything else looks good. On a tight budget, so $397 is tough to swallow for a bushing. Also, anyone have a good online source for O2 and A/F sensors?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-12-08, 10:35 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default bushing and a/f ratio sensor

Sorry I can't help you on the lower control arm bushing- there is a solution out there, I just don't know what it is. For the A/F ratio sensor- go to pg.3, replacing 02 sensor, post #8 and you have your best and cheapest source for that sensor-pt.#89467-48011. My advice- don't try and use anything but orig. eq. Denso., and make sure that if your replacing the sensors on the EXHAUST manifolds that you get the A/F sensors and NOT the OXY. sensors. The oxy. sensors go further back under the car. (bank2, sensor2). Hope this helps- Roger
Old 03-13-08, 06:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I know exactly what you are talking about and replaced both control arms on my RX300 a few years back. My uncle and I were never able to get the bushings out and we ended up buying the whole arm.
Old 03-13-08, 10:59 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What are the symptoms of a bad lower control arm bushing?
Old 03-13-08, 05:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JAB
What are the symptoms of a bad lower control arm bushing?
Well, you will really notice it in the steering wheel when taking a banking turn or a slight turn at high speed and the wheel will jiggle a bit, or you will feel a sudden, but not hard pull one way or another in the steering wheel. You can occasionally hear it clang. You have to raise up the front wheels off the ground and shake the control arm and see if this area outlined in white is loose.
Attached Thumbnails 99 RX300 Control Arm Bushings-img_0743.jpg  
Old 03-13-08, 07:34 PM
BigShooter
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help on the sensors. I have a few things to clean before I go that route, but want to make sure I know which ones to get. Appreciate it.
Old 03-13-08, 07:36 PM
BigShooter
Driver School Candidate

Would you recommend even trying to get the bushings out. ******************.com has the bushings only, but at $65 a pop I don't want to order them if there's really no hope of getting the old ones out. If you don't mind me asking, what made them hard to get out?
Old 03-13-08, 07:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BigShooter
Would you recommend even trying to get the bushings out. ******************.com has the bushings only, but at $65 a pop I don't want to order them if there's really no hope of getting the old ones out. If you don't mind me asking, what made them hard to get out?
I thinnk just the design of them is the problem. I think it might be possible to get the bushings out, but it is the darnest thing trying to get at them, and then trying to figure out even if you got them out, how to get the new one back in.
Attached Thumbnails 99 RX300 Control Arm Bushings-img_3584.jpg  
Old 03-13-08, 11:23 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bushings

Originally Posted by BigShooter
Hi BigShooter- That's some serious money for rubber. For one thing, I would think you would have to remove the lower control arm in order to install them,if it is possible. Whoever makes the bushings should be able to supply instructions for installation- for that kind of money. I'm really suprised that any one makes that type of bushing because of the difficulty of installation. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out. Y/T- Roger
Old 03-14-08, 05:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

At one point my cousin Rodrigo and I came up with the idea of putting some filler in there to support the rubber. I haven't ruled that out in the future should I have an issue, but I am looking forward to the nice smooth roads of my beloved state of Florida.
Old 03-14-08, 06:01 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Lex,speaking of smooth roads(I live in Pa,so I dont know what smooth roads are)anyway,do you feel your RX held up well,with the bad road conditions down their?Aside from your struts,has the vehicle become(in NASCAR terms)loose?Also,what is your opinion of Monroe struts? Thanx.
Old 03-14-08, 06:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lexus114
Lex,speaking of smooth roads(I live in Pa,so I dont know what smooth roads are)anyway,do you feel your RX held up well,with the bad road conditions down their?Aside from your struts,has the vehicle become(in NASCAR terms)loose?Also,what is your opinion of Monroe struts? Thanx.
The OEM shocks were ok. In fact, given that some of you over the years have reported similar issues to what I have had down here, I am satisfied to an extent, but felt that if Lexus is going to sell vehicles here (they will later this year), they need to watch this carefully. I know Nissan and Honda products sold here (including Infiniti and Acura) have also had issues in this department here, but Toyotas are much better off in their suspension quality here.

As far as Monroe, I don't have the greatest opinion of them, but that is because it is a commonly used brand here and I often see old Monroe's being taken off of vehicles, especially at my uncle's place. I would definitely take a KYB over a Monroe for this vehicle.
Old 03-14-08, 07:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Thanx,as I value your opinion very much.When you get back to the states,we (people on this board)should try and get together,maybe an amusement park,or some place thats large enough,so we can all meet.Something to think about anyway.
Old 03-14-08, 09:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lexus114
Thanx,as I value your opinion very much.When you get back to the states,we (people on this board)should try and get together,maybe an amusement park,or some place thats large enough,so we can all meet.Something to think about anyway.
Florida....DISNEY WORLD.
Old 03-14-08, 09:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

sounds good,lets see if other people here will consider it too.

Quick Reply: 99 RX300 Control Arm Bushings