RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Squeaky Steering Wheel Problem (Pics and video)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 02:45 PM
DewHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MY 1999 also has that issue when i turn sharp and it is cold.
Old 11-13-16, 09:45 AM
cwatx
Driver School Candidate

I started hearing strange squeaking noises when I would turn my steering wheel. I just sprayed some white lithium grease in the area shown in the pics in this thread, and
I no longer hear the noise.

Thanks CL!
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyGee (11-19-23)
Old 12-19-18, 05:29 PM
greenphant
2nd gear

Default Add me to the list

2000 Lexus RX 300 Squeaky steering wheel. Sounded to me like if was coming from the actual wheel area but after reading this thread and seeing the pictures where it goes through the firewall at the floor I sprayed WD40 first then applied a couple of drops of 3 in 1 oil. I no longer hear the noise. I tried silicone spray at first but the noise returned after a week or so. Thanks to all you that contribute here, wonderful bank of knowledge.
tiguy99 (07-07-19)
Old 07-07-19, 07:35 AM
threni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But where exactly is this connection point, please?
Old 07-07-19, 08:39 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by threni
But where exactly is this connection point, please?
Well one has to zero in to the source of the sound.
If you want to play the odds game, mostly it is where the steering shaft exits out of the cabin ... just follow the shaft down through the firewall. I would still recommend silicone spray.

Also welcome to Club Lexus.

Salim
tiguy99 (07-07-19)
Old 07-07-19, 10:56 AM
greenphant
2nd gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
Well one has to zero in to the source of the sound.
If you want to play the odds game, mostly it is where the steering shaft exits out of the cabin ... just follow the shaft down through the firewall. I would still recommend silicone spray.

Also welcome to Club Lexus.

Salim
Yeah, what he said.... down there on the floorboard at the gas & brake pedal. I tried silicone spray at first but the noise returned after a week or so, might want to try something heavier like 3 in 1 oil or the motor oil you put inside your engine. I'm going on 6 months since my last post with no more squeak noise after the 3 in 1 oil. Make sure you do it at the very bottom where it goes through the floor panel not just on top where it's easy to get to. Good luck! Happy TrailZ ................

Last edited by greenphant; 07-07-19 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-29-20, 12:38 PM
DanMeyers1
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My solution

You guys on this board are great. I bought my 2002 RX new in Nov 2002 (2003 was direct carryover so buying a 2002 saved me big time). Been taking perfect care of it since day one and I have 155K on it. Runs like new - maybe better. This "squeak when you turn the wheel" has been driving me nuts for five years. I'm not sure why I haven't addressed it but my wife pointed it out the other day so I came on the board. I started the RX, turned the wheel and found that the squeak was not coming from inside the wheel area (so taking that little panel off the side and spraying would not deal with it). It was coming from the floorboard area.I sprayed four shots of No Skweek® around the shaft, turned wheel a few times and GONE!

I swear by 'No Skweek' by the way. I think its far better than WD-40 and lasts longer. Thank you to all my fellow 1st Genners!!

Spray at these four points

I like this product better than WD-40

Last edited by DanMeyers1; 06-29-20 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 07:16 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Never heard of no-skweek. Funny mascot on the can.
Old 12-13-22, 05:01 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pughnitive
CL strikes again! My steering wheel has been squeaking for about a year now and I finally found the time today to try and fix it. (It never really bothered me, but I did get sick of explaining what the sound was to new passengers. ) Looked up the issue on CL and found this thread, which was exactly what I needed.

I sprayed white lithium grease at the point where the olive green plastic piece meets the round rubber part. I have no idea what the actual names of these pieces are, sorry..Maybe this pic I doctored up from Shake1's original post will help.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Bryan
Could you explain where this photo is on the vehicle?

thx

bob
Old 12-13-22, 06:39 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by steelgtr
Could you explain where this photo is on the vehicle?
thx
bob
Inside the car, where the steering column goes through the firewall.
Old 12-13-22, 08:59 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Inside the car, where the steering column goes through the firewall.
Thanks, I'll give it a go tomorrow!

bob
Old 12-14-22, 04:35 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

I tried white lithium grease spray and silicone spray but no luck Did it take a while to work for you guys or instantly?

bob
Old 12-14-22, 06:41 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by greenphant
Yeah, what he said.... down there on the floorboard at the gas & brake pedal. I tried silicone spray at first but the noise returned after a week or so, might want to try something heavier like 3 in 1 oil or the motor oil you put inside your engine. I'm going on 6 months since my last post with no more squeak noise after the 3 in 1 oil. Make sure you do it at the very bottom where it goes through the floor panel not just on top where it's easy to get to. Good luck! Happy TrailZ ................
How do you access the "very bottom where it goes through the floor panel"?
Old 12-21-22, 07:56 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by steelgtr
How do you access the "very bottom where it goes through the floor panel"?
Me too
Old 01-04-23, 08:22 AM
rhmyers
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1999 Lexus RX300 - Squeek when stearing wheel turned

WoW -- Excellent Diagnostics. To Find a problem...you try ONE THING AT A TIME... and then you know where the problem is. and can fix it.
As a Mechanical Engineer ( Ya alot do not know **** about hands on work) but engineers and scientist call this "changing one variable at a time"

The previous 50 posts did all kinds of things including under the car ... they just sprayed the hell out of everything..
That is fine some times... you get a cover off and you might as well hit every possibility.
But you can NOT COMMUNICATE to OTHERS just where the problem is.
The problem with posting this way is others really did not identify where the problem is. WE still Did NOT Exactly where the problem is.
So we could waste a lot of time doing things that do NOT SOLVE the problem !!

There are three things:
1. Finding the Problem
2. Fixing the Problem
3 Communicating to OTHER PEOPLE. a. The exact source of the problem b. How to fix it.

Others often do not need to know all the trial and error on locating the problem. They just need to know where the problem is and how to fix it.
If they had done one thing at a time, and saw if it fixed the problem. It would be better.

This is an extreme example, but if you have a pain in you abdomen and the Doctor did a whole bunch of things, including an operation... etc.
It would not be good.

Slezey shops .. charge you for all that Diagnostics and Time, Parts Supplies ... that you do not need if they had had more precise location of the problem and the fix.

Hope the helps.. others

Originally Posted by cbrf23
This forum is great!
Just picked up an '01 RX300 for a winter / bad weather car and I'm fixing all the little things that helped me get it cheap (:

I just wanted to post up since people were hitting everything and not sure what the actual source of the noise was.

For me it was where the splined shaft enters the rubber boot on the floor.
I first sprayed inside the wheel from the little access door towards where the back of the steering wheel. Sprayed all around in there, did nothing for the noise even after turning the wheel back and forth multiple (15-20 or so times).

I then removed the panel on the bottom of the dash (2 X 8mm screws, rest are just clips that pop out) and I was able to clearly access that area where the shaft passes through the rubber boot.
Sprayed all round the rubber boot, did nothing. Sprayed the shaft all around (got in down the splines) and the noise went away.

Oh, and I used motorcycle chain lube (since I had a couple cans laying around and figured it would be a good lube that wouldn't wear off quickly).

Pwrdude (11-18-23)

Quick Reply: Squeaky Steering Wheel Problem (Pics and video)