RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

want to buy a RX300 but need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-02, 10:22 AM
nate_2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question want to buy a RX300 but need help

hello everyone,

I am a new user here and I am thinking about buying a RX 300. I was just wanting some input here about the vehicle, service and any other problems that there are. I am thinking about a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, but everyone has one and I would like something different. I have talked to a few people and they said the Jeeps hold up pretty good, and the salesman a Lexus told me that the 300 will hold up really good and that they have had no problems with them. So who do you believe a salesman that works at the dealership and that is trying to make a sale, I think not. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for your time
nate
Old 01-26-02, 01:54 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use to own a 1999 jeep grand cherokee limited 2wd. nice vehichle.....but it had the most problems out of any vehichle i have ever owned. look at the reliability raitng in consumer reports or edmunds.

the guages went out on me, had to have the computer reprogrammed(twice....and it is still not fixed), memory seats end up with random settings, had the front rotors resurfaced twice with only 16000 miles........ended up replacing the rotors at my own cost at 22,000.

it is rare to find a good chrysler/jeep dealer with good customer service. they are absoulutely horrible at it. the only reason why i would buy one is if i needed a vehichle for offroad use.

the ride is also very rough side to side bouncy.

needless to say i got rid of it and got an rx and love it. there are a few things on the jeep that were better:

dual climate control, computer info (when it worked), and memory seat and rear view mirrors linked to memory settings.

lexus holds there value..........jeeps lose theirs big time. plus it just sounds better to say you drive a lexus lol
Old 01-27-02, 02:57 PM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we were researching new vehicles last year, the JGC Limited made our short list, in fact, I had already put a down payment down. But once I researched all the problems and the lousy crash test ratings, it was clear that this was not the vehicle for us. I have to agree with Shonuff, I have yet to hear of a decent Chrysler dealer. There are all kinds of design flaws with that vehicle, including under-designed brake rotors, whining drive-trains/axles, flimsy body electricals, etc.

We drove the RX and the rest is history. This is the way a vehicle is suppose to be put together!

Plus, for normal everyday driving the RX's full-time 4WD system is superior to the JGC's quadra-drive, which is normally rear-wheel drive only. But if you need to do some serious off-roading, definitely get the JGC.

Plus, no Chrysler vehicle has VSC, a major point in our buying decision.

Good luck with whatever your decision.