RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Something went bump :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-07, 07:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Something went bump :(

Strange things happen.

This afternoon after my father and I were coming back from Tlalnepantla, our front right shock (the one I had fixed before) blew its liquid out of the cartridge and the vehicle abruptly took a dip and I hit a what can I only describe as jagged piece of concrete on the road that ordinarily would not cause a problem hit the lower portion of the engine. I pulled over and everything appeared okay. However, as we continued driving down the highway back home, we noticed a loud ticking coming from underneath and then a sudden lurch.

I immediately pulled over and noticed underneath the vehicle was spitting out tranny fluid right on the joint between the engine and the transmission right in the area of the torque converter.

My father and I checked the tranny fluid level and it was down half. However, I started up the vehicle and it went in reverse and forward, and it still leaked. I called my uncle and my cousins and they came and we added fluid, but still it leaked.

My cousin Antonio Jr. then came with his tow truck and we took it home.

This isn't a case of a blown tranny. Tomorrow, we will take a look up on the rack and unscrew the tranny from the engine and lower it a bit so we can take a look to see if it is the torque converter (we can take it out and rebalance it/fix it easily), it could be the retainer holding the torque converter and plate together (that is what we think it is) or the plate itself.

Now this might seem like disaster, but things happen and we'll all take a look together tomorrow.

Keep in mind the vehicle runs and the tranny functions, just that the vibration must have jarred open the seal below so that tranny fluid now spills out. It is just a matter of getting in there and fixing it, something we do all the time at the shop with other vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3552.jpg  
Old 11-25-07, 10:14 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I am bad when it comes to terminology ... bell-housing (or equivalent) has the torque converter buried inside and is fairly well protected. My money is more on leaking tube (trans to radiator or back). Since your leak happened while you were moving, you have to look for the source a few inches ahead of the wet spot. If I read the picture right, your leak seems to be ahead of the cross member.

Salim
Old 11-26-07, 03:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Salim,

Area where noise is occurring is in the outlined square.

Yeah, the terminology differs depending on the vehicle. I had a chance to look at the manual, and it appears to be either the torque converter (not balanced) or the piece that holds it to the tranny (that wasn't clear in the diagrama but we call it a reten or retainer) and it sits inside of the tranny, kind of like a small ring, but the noise isn't coming from the tranny, it actually runs very smooth. My uncle and I filled up the transmission again and took it around the block and on to the highway for about 5 minutes and just the chattering noise and fluid drip, but ran very well and fast. There is an outside chance it is the flywheel (but not the little grooves on it), but there was sufficient force to push open a seal. I am going to work with my uncle and cousin Carlos today on splitting the area open and taking a look. There is an outside chance I may have to get a new flywheel (plate that I was referring to earlier, we call it a plato) from the U.S., but since the vehicle can move (except for the leaking fluid part) I think something is just a little out of whack, kind of like my bad shock, but of course more work to deal with this.

The retainer and the torque converter my uncle was pretty sure we can fix it ourselves, but we will see about the flywheel. Either way a pretty interesting repair, but definitely not DIY.

My father and I did manage to get some KYB GR-2 shocks, but TSA stopped him in the airport on his way down claiming shock absorbers cannot be brought even in checked baggage, so we will have to ship them. That was a DIY I wanted to do on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-df1.gif  
Old 11-26-07, 11:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Quick update, my cousins have removed the starter and cables to the transmission. Sometime in the afternoon we hope to have the tranny out to take a look at the torque converter. Tranny is fine and actually Antonio and I drove it again this morning to go get a part, but leaking and noise still is there.
Old 11-26-07, 11:56 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I wonder if the front seal on the tranny let loose or is damaged. I know from experience if the front seal goes, you would loose 9 qts real fast, as the pump is usually located right behind it. Good luck..
Old 11-26-07, 12:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well, apparently it is a small area where the drain occurred. We did a test this morning, before draining out the tranny. Right now we are still at a pause as I have to get back to doing some work for my company from my uncle's place and my cousin Antonio Jr. had to go out for a bit. But the tranny isn't connected to rest of the vehicle by too many bolts. That is the step we are about to approach. We didn't even touch the manual.
Old 11-26-07, 04:03 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well tomorrow morning, we will cut off the exhaust piping near the transmission and then remove it. Bolts cant be pulled out by hand.

Here are some pictures of what has gone on so far.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3555.jpg  
Old 11-26-07, 04:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

wheel well area
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3556.jpg  
Old 11-26-07, 04:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Top of tranny. Keep in mind again, there is zero wrong with the tranny.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3557.jpg  
Old 11-26-07, 04:06 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Underneath again.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3558.jpg  
Old 11-27-07, 01:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

OK, here come juicy pictures of places perhaps never quite seen before except in a Lexus shop.

At this moment we have no definitive answer. Flywheel/drive plate is in good working order. We removed the transmission and torque converter. Now, there is some ever so slight movement on wher the torque converter hooks on to the tranny. In addition, when we took the torque converter off, there was a lot of play and it didn't take much for some fluid to leak.

Thus, right now our hypothesis is that there was some where and tear on the torque converter and that might have given enough play for it to move around.

Next step will be as a precaution. We are going to haul the tranmission over to someone near to the place where I did the muffler work on Saturday. The guy is a master and fixed the malfunctioning tranny on the Caravan I used last year for a bit until I was sure where I was working was safe enough to park my RX.

He will open up my tranny and also take a look at the torque converter. But again, we suspect that there is too much play on the attachment for the torque converter.

For now enjoy the pictures, and if anyone wants me to take pictures of something else let me know.
Old 11-27-07, 02:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The torque converter. This is the side where we think the problem is right in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3561.jpg  
Old 11-27-07, 02:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Some shots of the transmission, keep in mind mine is U140F, AWD. Notice it says U140.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3563.jpg  
Old 11-27-07, 02:03 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now this is where the torque converter goes, we suspect that problem is right in the middle as it moves just slightly back and forth. Lower right is where the axle goes through (aka front differential).
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3564.jpg  
Old 11-27-07, 02:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Top view again.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3565.jpg  

Quick Reply: Something went bump :(