RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Something went bump :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 01:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Some bad news.

My pump has a crack in it in the tranny (reason for the leak) and I will have to get this ordered.

On another issue, Salim, I am taking your advice, we are going to take my current torque converter and upgrade it (this is the exact same thing that IPT Transmission does). Valve body was found to be okay along with the rest of the tranny except for one seal on the front differential.

My uncle's friend also indicated (without being told what happened) that the damage suffered occured due to a swift shock, not something long term (like my racing). He said long term damage would be evident in other things, but he didn't see it. He saw nothing to indicate fluid issues or anything else.

I do plan to take some photos for the group as a result and hope to have those either today or Saturday.

Again as we say in Spanish, no haga panico. Without my truck a bit longer, but we get to do some modifications that I probably would have done the down the line anyway.

So a nice birthday present.

Last edited by Lexmex; 12-03-07 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-30-07, 02:32 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The pump may have cracked when the main shaft shifted from the flywheel being broke. Good luck, Hope it all gets back together soon. And look forward to the pictures. I always wanted to see what was inside, especially when Lexus soaked me for $4300 for my tranny and the second one was defective. Buenos Dias amigo
Old 11-30-07, 08:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

It's unfortunate, because the rest of the transmission is in pristine condition, but obviously things happen in life and we have to deal with it. The good thing is that we can improve on it this time.

The tranny guy told my uncle he sees A LOT of this, pump breaking, but the rest of the tranny okay. He has worked on Toyota transmissions before (though rare here), but he didn't have any donor pieces or extra pumps he could adapt to this tranny unlike other pieces he can add to reinforce.

Tomorrow, we will take a look.

A busted tranny would be a worse situation down here, but I put a lot of faith into what my uncle and this guy can do, as I have seen them work magic on other vehicles before. The pump we will have in my father's hands Tuesday to send down to Mexico (perhaps by Thursday or Friday in Mexico) and hopefully next week we will start working on it. The tranny guy won't need too long (he can work on the rest of it in the meantime).

One thing we planned to do tomorrow was slice open the torque converter (that can be fixed down here even if you don't want to upgrade it) and take a look. Then can then weld the converter shut again, though the tranny guy didn't think there was anything wrong with that. If there had been bits in the pan for instance or he could see in side where it connects to the rest of the transmission that there was something bad, then would be more cost to fix.

Torque converters ain't cheap and account for 25% of the cost of the tranny in many cases.

Either way, we will all take a look tomorrow and gain some mutual benefit, as the tranny issue affects all of us.
Old 12-01-07, 04:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I want everyone to keep this in mind. Before we took the tranny out on Tuesday, the vehicle was still working, shiftings its gears and the tranny was functioning, only the sound of the busted flywheel and the tranny leaking underneath the area of the torque converter were the symptoms.
Old 12-01-07, 12:01 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I grew up in place where the problem was clean environment, but never a lack of technical expertise. So my concern for you would be that the shop that does the trans work does not introduce contaminants and worst small dust.

I would also recommend new TC with the higher stall speed (might as well right) to ensure proper mating over the shaft [since you mentioned there was a noticeable slop].

But all of the above apply where the labor cost is the most prohibitive cost... if you pay the labor at $100+/hr you dont want to take the chance of working on the thing the second time.

Salim
Old 12-01-07, 02:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by salimshah
I grew up in place where the problem was clean environment, but never a lack of technical expertise. So my concern for you would be that the shop that does the trans work does not introduce contaminants and worst small dust.

I would also recommend new TC with the higher stall speed (might as well right) to ensure proper mating over the shaft [since you mentioned there was a noticeable slop].

But all of the above apply where the labor cost is the most prohibitive cost... if you pay the labor at $100+/hr you dont want to take the chance of working on the thing the second time.

Salim

Salim,

I won't get to take any pictures until Monday at the earliest. My uncle, father and I talked to Chanito, the tranny guy, and he doesn't have my transmission open at the moment for precisely the reasons you mentioned about, the environment. I spoke to him on the phone and he told me the torque converter also had an issue, some contaminants (they cut it open and then solder it back) and that will occur next week. Total cost for the upgrade to it will be about 100 USD, quite reasonable. My uncle had mentioned the higher stall speed last week to him.

Chanito also mentioned that he was working on the valve body earlier this morning, cleaning it and upgrading some piece (couldn't understand it from the Spanish spoken), but he said such piece was ineffective in his estimation and that Toyota should have upgraded such piece and was going to use something stronger in that area. My uncle kind of knows what it is, but I'll have to see it. He described it as some kind of paper-like material joint that is subject to high heat.

He said Monday would be better as he will have some pieces in and some areas of the tranny a bit more open. He is aware this is of 'some' interest to you all. My boss was nice enough to let me work at home, but I will be over at my uncle's working and when we can go see the tranny we will.

My uncle will be working on some seals for the transfer case once we receive the pieces from the U.S. (I expect Thursday or Friday).

Chanito asked my uncle, and I acceded to this, that when the transmission is fully ready, that he wants no pictures taken of the interior or that of the torque converter before sealed, as the designs are his proprietary designs, and I will respect that, but he is more than happy to let us take some pictures now.
Old 12-02-07, 06:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

My uncle, father and I examined the exterior of the transfer case yesterday (transmission we will take a look at Monday) and these are some pictures I took of that and various areas that I think will be important for this forum for future reference. This is the driver's side entry for the transfer case.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3604.jpg  
Old 12-02-07, 06:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

A closer view.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3606.jpg  
Old 12-02-07, 06:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This hollow tube enters the transfer case half way and the rest goes into the front differential on the transmission side.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3611.jpg  
Old 12-02-07, 06:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This is a sideways view of the piece.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3610.jpg  
Old 12-02-07, 06:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

And enters like so.

Now, we didn't find any issue with a seal breach here. I have the seals coming for both sides of the transfer case.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3612.jpg  
Old 12-02-07, 06:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Transfer case from the passenger side. Notice engine mount to the right and I am not mistaken that is a tranny cooler line along the bottom of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3621.jpg  
Old 12-02-07, 06:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

A closer look and here we did notice some seal leakage, so my uncle and I will take care of it on both sides with the seals that are coming down.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3622.jpg  
Old 12-02-07, 06:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The URD (Underdog Racing Development) 1MZFE lightweight crankshaft pulley. No longer made, but I have been hearing of developments over on www.solaraguy.org
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3620.jpg  
Old 12-02-07, 06:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This is where the oil filter goes. We had to take off the filter (you don't have the drain the oil pan to do this since the oil sits in the pan) in order to get at some bolts holding down the active engine mount that sits below, so that we could tip the engine a bit to remove the transmission.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3617.jpg  

Quick Reply: Something went bump :(