RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Something went bump :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 02:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Lower suspension, both lower supension pieces are on each side. Now some of the Lexus mechanics will have noticed in the prior pictures we did not remove the exhaust piping, as my uncle unscrewed some bolts to tip the engine downward so we could extract the transmission.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3583.jpg  
Old 11-27-07, 02:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

One of the lower suspension arms.

Actually with all of this out I finally going to deal with that transfer case to make sure the leak is completely gone and also work on the steering rack, which has a little play.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3584.jpg  
Old 11-27-07, 02:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Active engine mount, boy was this thing ever wired up.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3585.jpg  
Old 11-27-07, 02:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

And this was my workstation, my laptop with wireless. That is a Pathfinder that had warped rotors and brakes that were absolutely dead. Of course you may have remembered from my cardomain page my uncle's Chow Chow, Gorda.

Tomorrow, I go back to work and will be taking a taxi for a while until everything is fixed. I anticipate we will know by the weekend what the deal is and maybe in about 2 weeks max, assuming we don't need parts from the U.S., we will be back on the road. I hope by December 9th, as that is my birthday.

I appreciate all of your support in this, for all I do with my RX, I am amazed at how we keep her in one shape...most of the time.

When it is back up again, we will do a DIY on shock installation.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3586.jpg  
Old 11-28-07, 09:32 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Are you going to go for higher stall speed TC?

Also remember to change engine side oil seal.

Salim
Old 11-28-07, 11:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

We are going to take a look at all seals in the area. I won't get to it until the weekend, as I have my day job to attend to.

As far as the torque converter, only if they can offer it here. It would take too long to get it sent from the U.S. (customs here is a PITA) and I urgently need the vehicle up and running for work.
Old 11-28-07, 03:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well, I can report some early news. My cousin Rodrigo reports that the flywheel/drive plate here is broken in the middle. So that we must get from the U.S. But I want to confirm with updated pictures later tonight after work. My uncle expects to have a report tonight on the state of the transmission after talking to his friend nearby, and I will give you a full accounting. I want to check on the seals and also the state of the torque converter. However, upon closer inspection there appears to be a crack at the 1 o'clock position (we must have been drunk when we looked at it before).
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3577.jpg  
Old 11-28-07, 03:18 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lex,
I feel your pain and those pictures are all too common of when I had mine in one of the Toyota dealers service bays for over 1 week while mine also had "open heart surgery".

Lots of luck and we'll keep our fingers crossed til Dec 9/07
BTW, I have reserved some dancing girls for you... Or you can make your way out to Tijuana where the real action is
Attached Images  

Last edited by Fern; 11-28-07 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 03:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fern
Lex,
I feel your pain and those pictures are all too common of when I had mine in one of the Toyota dealers service bays for over 1 week while mine also had "open heart surgery".

Lots of luck and we'll keep our fingers crossed til Dec 9/07
BTW, I have reserved some dancing girls for you... Or you can make your way out to Tijuana where the real action is
Well one good thing is that we are doing this on our own, and in some ways that is the best way, and it affords me the opportunity to take pictures we wouldn't ordinarily all get to see. Not sure if we will get everything taken care of by Dec. 9, but once I know everything that is wrong and what parts I need, then at least we know what to do, and I will breathe a sigh of relief.

If any of you make it down here, you are welcome to come to the track and enjoy the pleasure of EXXESSS, our wonderful nearby dancing club, top racers are all vips there.
Old 11-28-07, 07:30 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
This is where we think our culprit is, where the torque converter hooks on. And perhaps the torque converter itself.

The flywheel/drive plate is quite firm.

What we think happens is that the torque converter is loose and is banging around the sides of this area, just enough and wham, fluid pops out, too.
The tranny I worked on the pump is right behind that seal. That shaft should be pretty firm. Not moving side to side.So if the flywheel pilot hole where drifting than the main shaft would move side to side release fluid from the pump seal.

Last edited by thomas1; 11-28-07 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-28-07, 09:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well, now we know what we need to do.

First, flywheel below was busted in the middle as shown. We couldn't see but a few cracks before but after removing a center plate covering the middle, you can see the damage. This was causing noise and some hard starts sometime.

Second, seal on tranny pump needs replacement, my uncle has something that could work as a replacement along with another pump, but I will order the seal for the moment along with the flywheel tomorrow morning.
Attached Thumbnails Something went bump :(-img_3598.jpg  
Old 11-29-07, 04:29 AM
Rx300Mat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky You. The parts are on order.
Old 11-29-07, 06:36 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Wow, do you think the racing caused the fatigue and breakage? I also noted that you had added the Lucas additive, but no way could I accept that additional torque from less slippage caused that. Hey good luck with the parts, and getting it repaired.
Old 11-29-07, 06:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by thomas1
Wow, do you think the racing caused the fatigue and breakage? I also noted that you had added the Lucas additive, but no way could I accept that additional torque from less slippage caused that. Hey good luck with the parts, and getting it repaired.
Although racing and a hard start would put stress on such a machine, the vehicle ran exceptionally quick for a daytime run, 18.1 on Sunday. Now after I had the Lucas additive, I noticed a small ticking, but then that went away and I didn't hear a thing. In addition, the tranny fluid shouldn't reach out that way.

Keep in mind, nothing else was an issue until the accident on Sunday and that force must have jarred something and then my continued driving must have torn it up like so. My uncle did ask the guy repairing the transmission if it is possible and he said if I were driving at a slow rate of speed after, perhaps it would have survived a bit longer, but any heavy foot driving after initial damage would cause what is seen above (and I was on the highway right after the incident). Now, might there have been a crack earlier? We will never know. I am not aware offhand of an aftermarket flywheel for our engine class, though there maybe something out there. I will after this incident nevertheless, make a thorough search, but already have the current flywheel on order.

With regard to the Lucas additive, the tranny mechanic noted that the tranny was in very good shape except for the pump and seal which had been jarred a bit loose and they will attempt to fix today and I will know in the afternoon if I should also get a pump, as I already have the seal on order as a precaution. I plan to run the Lucas again about a week after I get everything up and running, but will use smaller doses like I did before. He did check the tranny filter and it was clean (no accumulation of the additive) nor was any accumulation noticeable on any parts.
Old 11-29-07, 09:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

An update.

I will need to order on Friday seals for the front differential along with seals for the transfer case per my uncle's recommendation. As apparently there was a leak on the right side of the front differential.

In addition, my tranmission is now open at my uncle's friend's shop and tomorrow he will attempt to fasten the transmission pump which is a little loose and he is quite confident he can do it. I plan, if possible, to go with my father and my uncle on Saturday to visit him and take some photos of the tranny's interior. In addition, I should mention I put down $300 USD for his work and to have him reinforce areas of the transmission, and I hope to snap some shots of his handiwork.

He told my uncle that the transmission should be ready Saturday or Sunday.

Now, my uncle just needs the flywheel and spacers we ordered and everything should be in by Tuesday to send, meaning sometime by the end of next week, likely Friday I would guess, the truck should be up on its feet. My uncle can put everything back together in about 4 hours or so. He didn't even look at the manual when he took it apart, and I doubt he will when he puts it back together, though I gave him some hints on how much tranny fluid he has to put in (since it is all drained right now).

Last edited by Lexmex; 12-03-07 at 05:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Something went bump :(