RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lucas Transmission Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 02:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Lucas Transmission Fix

I had heard about this product for a bit, http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show and got some bottles at an AutoZone that recently opened down here (not quite like those in the U.S. I am sorry to say, but worth the trip though).

This morning (it's a holiday here) I added .2 liters out of .7 liters in the bottle to the my tranny just after I drove back from my uncle's and then drove it back over again. I noticed what I can describe as a slightly smoother (not super shift), especially in the 2nd to 3rd shift.

The reason I only added .2 liters is that it is thick, like maple syrup, only thicker and I had to put the entire sealed bottle first in hot water in my bathtub to get it liquified (I read this on the net and it worked). I actually took a small sample and some Type IV and shook it around in en empty plastic bottle and the additive did break up and mix with the fluid.

Most people just add about half the bottle or .350 liters when they use this.

My tranny is just fine, but I wanted to see if this had a positive effect of any kind for racing reasons and may add .350 liters in after I drain my ATF on Saturday. My uncle had the good idea to suggest that I put the Lucas additive and the new ATF into a large 10 liter empty water jug and shake it around so it gets mixed in well before going into the tranny.

Now, what I am not sure on is if this is a short-term remedy of any kind for those who feel they have slipping or other tranny issues. I had read of an Avalon using this and a Camry. I read the testimonials and a lot of stuff on the net and even over at bobistheoilguy and see a lot of positive, but I may give this a longer look to see if this is something that might be beneficial for our vehicles.

I also found it has been used in a Matrix and a Sienna both using Type IV.

Last edited by Lexmex; 11-21-07 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-19-07, 03:14 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
. . . I had to put the entire sealed bottle first in hot water in my bathtub to get it liquified . . .
Do you know what a horrible death I would suffer if I tried this in my wife's bubble bath? You are either a single man or about to become one.
Old 11-19-07, 03:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Do you know what a horrible death I would suffer if I tried this in my wife's bubble bath? You are either a single man or about to become one.
OMG.

Ah the joys of single life.

Well, one of my buddies down here used to wash out his K&N filter in the kitchen sink and I remember at least one colorful euphemism of the English language used by his wife to describe the actions taking place.

At least one of my ex-girlfriend's used to not want to lay her hands on me after I would work on the RX because of the terrible smell the fluids would leave on my bare hands.
Old 11-19-07, 05:34 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Thats why you need to find the girl at the track that loves and breathes cars.
Old 11-20-07, 07:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by thomas1
Thats why you need to find the girl at the track that loves and breathes cars.
Actually one of my ex's is the girl in this photo in white. I dated another girl who drove a Dodge Neon and another girl who drove a Renault Clio Sport. All three moved out of Mexico City due to family reasons.

With the Lucas stuff, will on the weekend take some photos after I pick up some Type IV on Saturday morning, to show how thick this stuff is and how easily it dilutes or in other words how much you have to shake it and the tranny fluid together to get it to mix. I am worried about sticking it in there thick because of the tranny filter (which is a paper-like substance).
Attached Thumbnails Lucas Transmission Fix-mariotrack1.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 11-20-07 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-20-07, 12:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I just went over to the new Toyota service facility that opened up by my workplace (5 minutes walking not bad) and picked up some Type IV. Tonight, I will mix one bottle of the Type-IV and about .3 liters or so of the Lucas stuff in a clear bottle so we can all take a look and see what occurs, but I probably won't do the drain and fill until Saturday at my uncle's.

Incidentally, I paid 49 pesos a quart, which is about $4 USD, and I used to pay about $7 USD a quart, what is everyone paying for Type-IV right now as that is a big time difference for me?
Old 11-20-07, 02:52 PM
faylow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I just went over to the new Toyota service facility that opened up by my workplace (5 minutes walking not bad) and picked up some Type IV. Tonight, I will mix one bottle of the Type-IV and about .3 liters or so of the Lucas stuff in a clear bottle so we can all take a look and see what occurs, but I probably won't do the drain and fill until Saturday at my uncle's.

Incidentally, I paid 49 pesos a quart, which is about $4 USD, and I used to pay about $7 USD a quart, what is everyone paying for Type-IV right now as that is a big time difference for me?
I just bought 5 quarts of the atf type IV at the austin toyota dealer since i'm in town visiting parents. Anyhow, it cost $4.50 a bottle. going to do the change this weekend. exciting
Old 11-20-07, 05:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Lil4X show these photos to your wife.

Here we start in my very own bathtub ready to roll. I have already carefully measured out about .3 liters or so of the Lucas stuff and it is already in the center bottle. The Gatorade bottle says 1 liter, but actually 1 liter is slightly less by some measurements I made (not quite the top). And of course we have our .946 liter/1 quart bottle of Toyota Type IV.
Attached Thumbnails Lucas Transmission Fix-img_3451.jpg  
Old 11-20-07, 05:51 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Oh yeah that Lucas stuff is like honey.
Attached Thumbnails Lucas Transmission Fix-img_3455.jpg  
Old 11-20-07, 05:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Then some Type IV.
Attached Thumbnails Lucas Transmission Fix-img_3458.jpg  
Old 11-20-07, 05:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now holding it up to the light.
Attached Thumbnails Lucas Transmission Fix-img_3459.jpg  
Old 11-20-07, 05:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

After being shaken.
Attached Thumbnails Lucas Transmission Fix-img_3461.jpg  
Old 11-20-07, 05:56 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now pouring it back into the Type IV container. I can tell you it flowed just as easily as the Type IV did and there was nothing sticking in the bottom of the bottle. It adheres very quickly to the Type IV.
Attached Thumbnails Lucas Transmission Fix-img_3462.jpg  
Old 11-20-07, 05:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

What a mess, I poured some water on a sample and it indeed does bead up and flow right toward the drain after I moved my hand through the stuff.

After I washed and dried my hands, I can only describe the feeling on my hand as one when you touch a freshly waxed floor.

Saturday, I will give this stuff a go after I drain and fill.
Attached Thumbnails Lucas Transmission Fix-img_3465.jpg  
Old 11-21-07, 02:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This morning before going to work I added about .1 liters more to the existing fluid in my tranny. So that makes about .3 or so I have in there now. Only things I notice are that shifting from P to R is smoother without having to warm up and the switch to 2nd and 3rd is also smoother and quicker.

Quick Reply: Lucas Transmission Fix