RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

NEW MEMBER, some ???'s!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-02, 12:08 AM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW MEMBER, some ???'s!

Hi all, new member here with a 2001 RX300 with navigation.

I have a few questions...
Anyone ever tint their lex? Is it OK to do so with the factory tint?

How do I change the bulbs in the tail light? I was thinking of swapping the stock orange signals to some superwhite ones...Any advice how? (I will check the manual tomorrow too)

Stereo..I have the stock Navigation unit, is it possible to add a amp and box to it? I have a box with JL 10"s, and I want to put that in for bass...But I think the Navigation unit hinders that possibilty.Anyone else mod their audio with a Navi unit?

How do I turn my map screen to night mode? I did this once, and the sreen was black and red for the streets. It said night mode or something on it too. But I cannot for the life of me get this back, I looked in the manual and did not find squat.

Anyother cool mods to do that are not wallet breakers?
I was thinking of getting some bulbs for the interior dome lights and stuff, super white ones.

any advice ?
Old 01-20-02, 01:23 AM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Default .

can anyone here answer these questions.......?

please.......
Old 01-20-02, 07:28 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Default Some answers

I have a full limo tint that includes the front windshield, my dealer did it for me so they knew what they are matching and the tint looks the same front and back, check out my other posts for pictures.

Im also thinking about those superwhite bulbs and blue head light bulbs.........being illegal isnt really a concern for me.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gofaster
[B]Hi all, new member here with a 2001 RX300 with navigation.

I have a few questions...
A
Old 01-21-02, 02:15 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Mr. Fast, With the Navi turning black you have to turn back the dimmer switch (left of the speedometer). And I have 2 12" hooked up to a 800w amp which is hooked up to the factory amp under the backseat. Hope this helps....
Old 01-21-02, 05:50 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

mr sypher, there is a factory amp under the rear seat? how did you hook up your 800 watt amp to it? and exactly how do i get to it, where is it? as far as questions go, i have a 600watt amp hooked up to the factory sub. i used the spaeker inputs and converted it with a high/low level converter. so even with the navigational unit you can still do it that way. also only the low frequencies are sent to that speaker. so its good for a sub box. otherwise if you tap off the rear speakers, you wont get the lower frequency spectrum.
Old 01-21-02, 06:49 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

the factory amp is actually behind the rear seat..........it's kind of hard to get to. you have to fold the seats down and take a bunch of the plastic hold downs out.........i'll try to get some pics up this week.
Old 01-21-02, 07:12 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

ok cool, is that the amp for the stock sub too? i got to get some pictures of my stereo install. its nice i think. little ruff around the edges so far, not finished. but its working. i have 4 gauge power wire and a 10 gauge (soon to be upgraded to 8gauge) kenwood 600watt amp, powers the audiobahn triple 10'' bandpass sub (its not that much wattage but hits so hard, i kept it) then i custom made an enclosure out of 3/4'' mdf board, in it houses the playstation, amp, dvd player and 3 gold power distribution blocks. and all other wires and power inverters etc. its painted back right now but soon to be covered in the marble looking laminent. anyway. ill try to get pics soon of it.
Old 01-21-02, 07:24 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by Shonuff
the factory amp is actually behind the rear seat..........it's kind of hard to get to. you have to fold the seats down and take a bunch of the plastic hold downs out.........i'll try to get some pics up this week.
Can't you just lift up the spare tire panel in the cargo area to get to it? Isn't that the small silver thing in the back with the wires going to it?

-Nick
Old 01-21-02, 07:50 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Well, what we did was take the back seat out. It made running the wires much easier...

Oh and Question for Sprinkles... Do you have that playstation and DVD hooked up in your RX? And if so could you post some pics Because that is going to be my next project...
Old 01-21-02, 08:18 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

yes the dvd and playstation i hooked up to my rx but not to the factory screen, i got a dash mounted tv screen.
Old 01-21-02, 08:50 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I didn't think you could hook it up to the factory screen. Do you have the NAVI. in the RX? You see I want two monitors in the headrests and one widescreen in the passenger visor... And I just want to hook it up to a playstation2. So that way I have games and DVD.... I still would like to see a pic of it to see how it looks...
Old 01-21-02, 11:16 PM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, thanks for the advice so far.
DJ sprinkles, what do you mean my factory sub? Where is your sub located, Im guessing mine does not have a sub hidden somewhere..or does it?

Mr. sypher. what wires are on the factory amp, and what do they power? Where did you connect the aftermarket amp on the factory amp?

Any of you guys have pics of that install, so I know what I am dealing with before I open up the rear..?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-02, 04:44 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

factory sub is a 6.5" woofer under the passenger seat.

the factory amp powers all 7 speakers. has wires running to all of them and has power, remote, ground.......etc.

you can't just flip the cargo panel to get to the amp......you'd have to take it out.......it is just forward of the spare tire well and behind the rear seats..........kind of hard to explain till you see it.
Old 01-22-02, 08:30 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry no pics, but Sho is right on the money.. As to the hookup all you need is the signal for the factory amp. Power, ground do it the the normal way... But take the backseat out, it will make the job easier....
Old 01-22-02, 08:32 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Oh and Sprinkles.... Every RX has a sub under the passenger seat...

Quick Reply: NEW MEMBER, some ???'s!