RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

NEW MEMBER, some ???'s!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 10:30 AM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know there is a factory sub under the passenger seat. its in a black plastic configuration. in my opinion it is really weak. gets distorted very easily. whats ur opinion guys?
Old 01-22-02, 11:44 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

You are absolutly right.. It really doesn't do much it is only 6 1/2 and I think the stock amp is no more than 75 to 100w pushing all of the speakers. Leave it alone and put in some SUBS... I am about to get these solobaric 12's from this kid out here for $300. And give my Fosgate's a rest...
Old 01-22-02, 03:15 PM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Default great

Thanks for the help on the amp and subwoofer stuff guys. Im going to try the install in a few days.

Anyone replace the turnsignal lights in the rear yet? How the hell do you get to them, they hide everything on the rx!
Old 01-22-02, 03:32 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

for the side tail lights you have to pop two plastic tabs and gain access to the two screws that hold it in place.

for the tail lights on the hatch you have to pop the panel off the inside of the hatch.......it's held on by plastic tabs that pop into a holder.
Old 01-22-02, 06:11 PM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Shonuf, I think I'm going to get some super white lights for all the interior lights and tail signals from ebay.

Mr sypher
".. As to the hookup all you need is the signal for the factory amp. Power, ground do it the the normal way... "

So youj ust spliced the remote wire from the aftermarket amp to the factory amp? What about the audio connection from the factory amp to the aftermarket amp? Is there a set of rca jacks on the factory amp for output? OR did you splice from the speaker wire outputs on the factory amp, to a set of wire to rca converters to connect into the aftermarket amp? I am trying to find out what I need before I get into the install, as I have no garage. So I kind of have to get it all done in one shot.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-02, 07:24 PM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Question another ????

Another important question(s)

How to remove the rear seat? Any advice and tips? I looked at it real quick tonight, didnt see any bolts right off the bat. Also, the rear of the seat, is connected to the back trunk's carpet, how to remove the backing? Since it seems to have to be removed in order to remove the seats.
I did not get a good look at it all, it is dark and cold as hell out. but I am going to try again in the next day or two after work.
Thanks again.
Old 01-22-02, 07:59 PM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Question more ????

Ok guys, curiosity got the best of me, and I went back out.
I found that the backing of the seat is not attatched to the trunk carpet. So I figured out how to get that lower backing off.
Now here is my question, between the spare tire space, and the back seats, there is an area that is covered by a black metal plate that runs all the way from the left to the right. It is raised and almost like a thick hollow wall that seperates the spare tire well from the back seats and floor. I see two bundles of wires going into this section. One on the left and one on the right. Am I to assume that the amp is in this covered section? It seems somewhat narrow, and the amp would have to be long and skinny to fit in here. Other than that, I do not see any other thing that can be an amp. I did not want to go and open this area up (yet) before I knew if this is the right location. It appears as if you need to remove lots of molding, some carpeting, bolts and tabs to get into that area. Any advice or hints as to what I am looking at and where I should be?

Also, if you remove the cover to gain access to the spare tire, there is a little box on the right hand side, under the carpeting. I think it is the navigation unit, it appear to have a cd accepting hole. Is that what it is?

Last edited by gofaster; 01-22-02 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-22-02, 08:52 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

you hit the nail on the head brotha.......long skinny amp. lot's of stuff needs to be removed to get at it. lots of blood, sweat, and tears hehe.

remove that long plate and you will see the amp. like they were saying earlier...........remove the seats.

not too sure about the nav unit........mine didn't come with it. i'm in the process of installing one(sony etak- can use other gps programs as well). will be a lot better then the factory stuff. ........we're molding a 10" tft vga touchscreen with a full computer in the front and another 10" screen in the rear. almost have the molding done.........hopefully by the weekend. gonna be able to play mp3's/dvd/pc games/gps......etc

relocated (moved them down) the ac/stock stereo controls and relocating the stock screen too (not sure where yet). installed a jvc digifine receiver, two audiobahn amps and 2 10" ab speakers in a generic box for now. replaced all the speakers with infinty speakers.............lots and lots of work. you should see all the hacking inside the interior. very scary.

Last edited by Shonuff; 01-22-02 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-22-02, 09:23 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

oh man shonuff, seems like u are goin all out with ur rx, take some pics of it, so we can see. great info and description guys, i want to go and take mine all apart and tap off the amp now, ahh but oh well next rx.
Old 01-22-02, 09:44 PM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb cool

thanks for that info Shonuf, Im going to open that up tomorrow or Thursday. What about the connection from the factory amp to the aftermarket amp..rca jacks, spliced, etc? What did you do? If I need any other parts, Id like to get them while im getting the power cables and stuff. Plus it helps to have the advice when you got the car all apart and stuff!

some pics of your car too when your done!
Old 01-23-02, 04:35 AM
Shonuff
Pole Position

you'll need a high level to low level converter (is that what they're called?....it's been a while). are you going to run an amp just to the subs?

i got a couple of pictures i'm going to try to put up today. i just put some 18 X 7.5 Chrome rims with 255/55 Pirelli Scorpion Zeros on it yesterday. it was too dark to take pics when i got home. also put a millen spoiler on......looks pretty good i think.

need to talk to leo at weapon-r to get my intake and exhaust.
Old 01-23-02, 07:38 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

There you go, Sho is on point. I would try to help ya but I guess Sho got it covered... Goodluck...
Old 01-23-02, 07:40 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Question

Sho, were do you live? I want to see your RX when completed.
Old 01-23-02, 01:52 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

sypher: that would be a loooooong drive for you bro. i'm way down in south texas......corpus christi. i got a guy here that is working on vacum formed plastic pieces. makes all the panels look stock.

if anyone is interested in putting a screen in and having a piece molded i can get it done. got to talk to my guy a little more on that though.
Old 01-23-02, 10:16 PM
gofaster
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys.
Yes, I plan to just run the amp to a bandpass box with 2, 10 inch JL woofers. So, all I am interested in is figuring out which wires from the factory amp to run the the alpine amp. If I use the high/low level converter to run the alpine amp, what wires do I use to connect to the factory amp (and converter)? I am guessing there are no rca jacks on the factory amp correct? So did you guys just disconnect the speaker lines to the factory underseat woofer, and then use the converter to run them into the aftermarket (in my case, alpine) amp? Or did you manage to keep both the underseat woofer and the sub woofers connected?
I am unsure as to what speaker source from the factory amp, should I run to the alpine amp? I am assuming there is no provisions aka rca outputs on the factory amp, to connect to the alpine.
What about the remote wire on the factory amp, is it stated which wire(s) are which on the factory amp?

If you guys could tell me how you connected the factory amp to your aftermarket amp (which wires and outputs) it would be greatly appreciated. I can manage the easy stuff like the power to battery and grounding.
Thanks fellows.

Quick Reply: NEW MEMBER, some ???'s!