RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

drag on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 01:55 PM
powerslide
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question drag on deceleration

I have the RX 300, 2000 model. Had since new. I have 67,000 miles on ODO. I also have a 1996 Avalon. I have had other Toyota products,but my question to RX drivers is that when you let off the accelerator is seems to feel like the vehicle has an exhaust brake of some kind. It has always done this. My other vehicles have always had a nice unrestricted glide from say 50 mph to slow down to a traffic light. The Rx seems to almost want to slow itself down by compression brake or something. It is kinda hard to describe, but i hate this. Why and any reasoning for it?
Old 09-22-07, 03:57 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

What mpg are you getting .. this will give us a clue on actual drag.

The reason SUVs have bad milage is that they have a lot more drag (air resistance). Can't compare with more aerodynamic vehicles.

Salim
Old 09-22-07, 06:21 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

That and there is a lot more friction if you have AWD.
Old 09-25-07, 10:24 AM
vanguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by powerslide
I have the RX 300, 2000 model. Had since new. I have 67,000 miles on ODO. I also have a 1996 Avalon. I have had other Toyota products,but my question to RX drivers is that when you let off the accelerator is seems to feel like the vehicle has an exhaust brake of some kind. It has always done this. My other vehicles have always had a nice unrestricted glide from say 50 mph to slow down to a traffic light. The Rx seems to almost want to slow itself down by compression brake or something. It is kinda hard to describe, but i hate this. Why and any reasoning for it?
I know exactly what you mean. I've described it as most cars just glide along when you are off the gas, RX300 seems to slow down much faster similar to down shifting on a manual transmission car. I've driven many cars in my life (rentals) and RX seems to be the only car that has this trait. Don't know if this is good or bad or why. Is you car AWD? Mine is.
Old 09-25-07, 11:25 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

If you get around 18mpg or even little below then it is normal.

If you get around 11-13 mpg then there is something to be concerned about.

Mpg number are for guidance only as many other factors influence it.

Salim
Old 09-25-07, 01:03 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i've been feeling the same thing, but only recently. im at 69600 today actually and i also have a modded exhuast. i have AWD, so I can totally tell you that has an effect, but the effect is almost as if OD was off...its not normal haha. I've been popping it into N to glide b/c id rather use my brakes haha. btw that's w/o a/c. with a/c--omg. haha then it's like i turned the car off!
Old 09-25-07, 01:57 PM
bluovalguy
Driver School Candidate

Mine does it also, and my MPG's suck. I have notice that the RPM's are up when it does it.
Old 09-26-07, 05:46 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

What is your RPM at 65 MPH? Hopefully around 2500, if not the tranny is not in overdrive....
Old 09-26-07, 10:59 AM
vanguy
Rookie

Now that you mentioned RPM at 65 mph. My car is definitely around 3000+ and it has been this way since new. It never occured to me that the OD might not be working since day one since I just assumed that the engine is higher revving and we seldom use the car for extended long trip. Just what is the RPM people are seeing on their RX300 at around 60mph??
Old 09-26-07, 08:13 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My daughter's 99 RX300 (AWD) does that drag thing, also. I usually notice it in more performance-oriented vehicles. It's like vanguy says -- just like you're in a lower gear in a manual tranny car. My guess is it's something in the ECU programming that makes it do this. I don't mind it myself, but I know it can be bothersome to people.
Old 09-27-07, 06:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have noticed this in a few other SUVs I have tested down here.
Old 09-27-07, 06:38 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The key here is what is your RPM at what speed, you may have a sensor or worst the dreaded Transmission problem.....sorry hate to ruin anyones morning.... My wifes car does not experience what you are saying unless you are just very sensitive or I am missing it. When I deselect OD the car does exactly what you are saying....
Old 09-27-07, 07:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Deselecting OD, I do get this, as I am readily aware of it from track experience (PWR ON and OD OFF). However, I have tested recently a few Mazdas (CX7 and CX9), the new Toyota Highlander, Chevy Trailblazer and the Honda Pilot within the last 2 months (and quite a few others previously) and I notice this drag. Now perhaps, just perhaps, the high altitude could be having an effect. Thinking about this, I noticed perhaps just a tad better improvement in the drag on acceleration a few times I have been back to sea level, but not much better.

A Dodge Caravan I used to drive to work last year had a similar drag. Now with the few car I have driven (I will exclude stick shifts) they are much better than any SUV, but this I base on weight and engine and in some cases hot/cold weather (which will affect engine output).
Old 09-27-07, 01:53 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ew i saw a new highlander today.
Old 09-27-07, 02:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by miniround
ew i saw a new highlander today.
I have taken it one out for a few test drives, but still haven't gotten approval to take one over to the 1/4 mile track, which I badly want to do. One big complaint I have is not being able to see out the back as well as with my RX300 (well different size, too). The acceleration isn't quite the kick that my RX300 has from takeoff, but it MORE than makes up for it in the higher gears. As far as the engine braking (which is normal), taking my foot off the pedal it seems to drag a bit longer than my RX300 (but then again when you have an RX300 that has had some of its guts ripped out and retooled, that ain't surprising).

Quick Reply: drag on deceleration