RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Power door lock switch do not unlock/lock driver's door.

Old 08-01-07, 10:15 PM
tigerm25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power door lock switch do not unlock/lock driver's door.

Hi there. I have a Lexus RX300 and recently I had problem locking the driver's door with my remote key. I check the fuse and all the fuse looks ok. With the remote key, I was able to lock and unlock all doors except of driver's door. I was able to roll down window with remote key as well. Using the power door lock switch that locate on the driver's side door, I was able to lock and unlock all doors except for driver's door. Currently I have to use the key to unlock and lock the driver's door from the outside. Does anyone knows what cause this problem and how can I fix it? Is there a some electronic components on the driver's door lock that I might broke it? Is there a way I can open the interior of driver's door to take a find out the problem?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-07, 04:21 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been reading this forum for a number of years and this is not an uncommon problem. If you do a search, you should find detailed instructions on removing the inside door panel of the driver's door, replacing the solenoid assembly (I don't recall the correct name), the cost, etc.. I'll take a guess and say that part is the most likely cause of the symptoms you describe. I seem to even recall discussions of repairing the part and whether it pays to replace or repair. There are others here who have first-hand experience with this, but they read their e-mails later in the morning .
Old 08-02-07, 07:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to CL

This is the thread I did with regard to door panel removal,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288373

I haven't had first hand experience with the issue you describe, but I know others have had it on the forum. The reason I originally took off the door panel was due to a window problem.
Old 08-02-07, 08:01 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Unfortunately the part is about $258.16.... It is the drivers door lock assembly..
part number is 69040-48020 (lock assembly) by the way removing the door panel is a challenge but can be done there is a hidden screw under the switch assembly on the arm rest. I dont know how mechanically inclined you are but it took me about 30 minutes being very careful. the lock assembly includes some linkage on it. It is actually a motor solenoid that fails, it gets weak and I tried to repair mine, but it didnt work. Ended up replacing it.
Old 08-02-07, 01:26 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
Unfortunately the part is about $258.16.... It is the drivers door lock assembly..
If you find that the part is the problem, you might consider checking a Lexus recycler (i.e., junk yard) or one of the mail-order Lexus parts dealers that sponsor this forum.
Old 08-08-07, 05:31 PM
tigerm25
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the responds. I'm lucky that I don't have pay $258.16 for the replacement. After a few opening and closing the door manually with my key and re-seat the fuses related to the door, it finally works again. Lucky me that I don't have replace anything. Don't know the exact cause of the problem but now things work fine now. Once again thanks everyone for replying.
Old 08-12-07, 02:41 AM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

Where is the fuse related to that door? I have just been opening the door with keys and never tried to reseat the fuse. I wanted to give it a try. Thanks.
Old 09-28-07, 11:36 AM
asic_bbc
Driver School Candidate

My 99 RX300 passenger side door lock is barely moving. So using Lexmex's door panel removal thread, I was able to get the panel off. But I can not seem to get the door lock out, even after disconnect the 2 links to handle and key cylinder. Seems like the window track is in the way. How do you guys remove the door lock?
Old 09-28-07, 07:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I am not quite sure where you are at without seeing a photo. Door lock is held in by 5 bolts total, while the handle has 3 bolts attached to it.
Old 10-01-07, 06:58 AM
marksexton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tigerm25
Thanks everyone for the responds. I'm lucky that I don't have pay $258.16 for the replacement. After a few opening and closing the door manually with my key and re-seat the fuses related to the door, it finally works again. Lucky me that I don't have replace anything. Don't know the exact cause of the problem but now things work fine now. Once again thanks everyone for replying.
Where is the fuse? I hear clicking when I use the switch so I'm afraid I've got a bad actuator.
Old 10-02-07, 04:05 PM
asic_bbc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I am not quite sure where you are at without seeing a photo. Door lock is held in by 5 bolts total, while the handle has 3 bolts attached to it.
The Lexus instruction showed 4 torx screws holding the lock in place. I might missed the 5th one. With the 4 screws out, The lock/acuator is loose, but seems there is a metal bar in the way of the narrow space.

Anyway, the door lock now works intermittenly. I will try again when it's completely dead.
Old 10-02-07, 06:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I'll try to take a look again at this location in the future.
Old 10-02-13, 09:21 PM
busidit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tigerm25
Hi there. I have a Lexus RX300 and recently I had problem locking the driver's door with my remote key. I check the fuse and all the fuse looks ok. With the remote key, I was able to lock and unlock all doors except of driver's door. I was able to roll down window with remote key as well. Using the power door lock switch that locate on the driver's side door, I was able to lock and unlock all doors except for driver's door. Currently I have to use the key to unlock and lock the driver's door from the outside. Does anyone knows what cause this problem and how can I fix it? Is there a some electronic components on the driver's door lock that I might broke it? Is there a way I can open the interior of driver's door to take a find out the problem?

Thanks.
A similar problem is alive and well today in my 99 RX300.
The drivers door could only lock unlock with the key or from thumb latch inside
The drivers door would not lock unlock when keying the passenger door either.
From compiled information on this forum, the fix was as simple as disconnecting the neg battery terminal to reset the body ecu.
Everything works fine now. However, the passenger door lock often gets stuck halfway unlocked. When i have time I will use this thread's info to get in and fix or replace the actuator.
Thanks to all in this great forum.