RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

I have a bad gas mileage, how about yours ??

Old 04-02-08, 05:50 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carguy07
"I have noticed that the sensor on the front manifold looks new, so it was changed not too long ago."

Question is was it replaced with the correct one. Some of the aftermarket parts will not do the job correctly. Is it an A/F sensor or O2 sensor?
I will have to see if there are any numbers on that sensor and I'll post it here. I don't know what sensor is on there. I believe it is oem as previous owner claimed to have all the maintenance at lexus.

Is there a way to find out using the VIN to see if it was maintained at lexus?

I have pulled the MAF sensor and it looked new as well with no accumulation of any kind. Before I pulled it I had gone to local PepBoys and got a can of that MAF sensor cleaner so I sprayed it down anyway. The MAF Sensor is an oem Toyota Denso part.

When I have more time I'll get the other parts mentioned here cleaned and also check on that manifold sensor.

I'm almost on the half way mark with my second tankfull of fuel since I purchased vehicle and I've got about 80 miles. I'm not looking for a 20 mile city car but I was hoping for at least 15 mpg out of this 3.0

If diesel wasn't so much more than the Gas I would be driving the 8,600 lb Crew Cab 6.0 around and I would get the same mpg's around town as the gasser with more response on the throttle.

I'm not here to bash this vehicle. It's a 99 but Lexus did a good job on this thing that is 10 years old. My brother in law bought a brand new 1999 Honda Passport (I prefer to call it an Isuzu Rodeo) has put only about 46k miles on it and it drives like something is about to fall off. Comparing his 99 at 46k miles to my 99 RX at 83k miles, ride quality at that much more mileage the lexus feels nothing on the road.

I'll try to get some of the other sensors cleaned soon to see if I will see a difference.

Is the computer #'s pretty accurate? How many miles should I expect out of a 99 on a tankfull?

First tankfull the RX got me 221. Around town my 29 gallon diesel will only get me around 380 miles.
Old 04-03-08, 06:41 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

okay,yes you can find out via the vin# what service was done @ Lexus.I have a 2001,so my fuel tank is bigger than the 99,I can tell you that I get around 18-18.2 in the winter time,And 19-19.8 during the summer time.I have also discovered that the fuel mileage computer is fairly accurate.I get around 1.5 mpg more that it reads out.(witch is better than less).I do wish we had the miles to empty option.I`m sure you will find your RX a very dependable,nice driving,well built/engineered,machine.(BTW) if you haven`t already,switch to synthetic in everything! You will be glad you did.
Old 04-03-08, 03:16 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
okay,yes you can find out via the vin# what service was done @ Lexus.I have a 2001,so my fuel tank is bigger than the 99,I can tell you that I get around 18-18.2 in the winter time,And 19-19.8 during the summer time.I have also discovered that the fuel mileage computer is fairly accurate.I get around 1.5 mpg more that it reads out.(witch is better than less).I do wish we had the miles to empty option.I`m sure you will find your RX a very dependable,nice driving,well built/engineered,machine.(BTW) if you haven`t already,switch to synthetic in everything! You will be glad you did.
Thanks. Right now the RX has new fluids on the rear and front gear. Engine oil is nice and clean when I bought it so I'm not wasting it for another 1k miles or so. Need to change trans oil for a piece of mind, even though it is cherry red. If I keep the RX and get it to go 100k miles then I'll switch everything over to Syn.

OK, for the mpg's.

If you reset the MPG's and average MPH clocks at fill up, WHAT is everyone's average on both when it's time to fill up again?

I'm averaging 12.9 MPG at 14.8 MPH on my second fuel tankfull since I bought the RX. My first tankfull got me a whole 221 miles.

The 99's have a smaller tank but what is the 99 getting on a tankfull on mostly city driving?
Old 04-03-08, 05:22 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.0PSD

I'm averaging 12.9 MPG at 14.8 MPH on my second fuel tankfull since I bought the RX. My first tankfull got me a whole 221 miles.

The 99's have a smaller tank but what is the 99 getting on a tankfull on mostly city driving?
^^ This is exactly what my brother is getting in his 99 Awd. He is pure city of Chicago driving.

I'm getting around 19.5-20.1 with and avg. of 25mph on my 2000 Awd.
At first I was getting 17.2 until I found out I had a dragging RF caliper.

I too would also want to know what others are avg. on mph to their mpg.
Old 04-03-08, 10:11 PM
rx300s415
Driver

Originally Posted by Nad1370
^^ This is exactly what my brother is getting in his 99 Awd. He is pure city of Chicago driving.

I'm getting around 19.5-20.1 with and avg. of 25mph on my 2000 Awd.
At first I was getting 17.2 until I found out I had a dragging RF caliper.

I too would also want to know what others are avg. on mph to their mpg.
What is a dragging RF caliper? I'm getting only about 13MPG with city driving here in San Francisco, and my area doesn't necessarily have that many inclines. .
Old 04-04-08, 06:24 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Originally Posted by rx300s415
What is a dragging RF caliper? I'm getting only about 13MPG with city driving here in San Francisco, and my area doesn't necessarily have that many inclines. .
It's the Right Front brake Caliper he had problems with.
Old 04-11-08, 10:52 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
This is what you have to do with that piece, remove it and then spray as shown and the spray should come out both of the lateral sides. Then clean out with water and blow air into it.
is that carb cleaner you are spraying inthe plastic piece or liquid wrench type thanks
Old 04-14-08, 07:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

It is actually liquid wrench, but carb cleaner works well, too.
Old 06-24-08, 03:49 AM
bolt
Driver School Candidate

WOW....I get about 19/ 20mpg average on 87 oct. I'm not kidding, if I got less I'd be pissy.
Old 06-24-08, 08:42 AM
jimmouse
Rookie

It depends a lot on what RPM at local and a lot of wind resistance on the high way also. After changing my belts, I did get higher milage, 17+ for the 10 mitutes drive to work averaging ~28mph.
Old 07-02-08, 01:08 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need recommendation for A/F sensor replacement

Any recoomendation of after-market brands of A/F sensors as good replacemednt of the Toyota/Lexus units?
Old 07-02-08, 05:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chenxingha
Any recoomendation of after-market brands of A/F sensors as good replacemednt of the Toyota/Lexus units?
I'd really stick to the Densos. It's one of those few things that I like to stick to stock. The only other thing I'd run would be wideband sensors, but that's only if you want to do some performance tuning...I might do that in the future.
Old 08-27-08, 07:49 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bolt
WOW....I get about 19/ 20mpg average on 87 oct. I'm not kidding, if I got less I'd be pissy.
Yeah,but that`s FWD right?
Old 08-31-08, 03:47 PM
cogon
Driver School Candidate

These summer days on my 2002 RX300 AWD, I'm getting 22 mpg at 27 mph on average for Chicago suburb driving. But the way I'm driving is using the ECT snow switch on most of the time. This will engage the transmission directly to 2nd gear instead of first at the start thereby eliminating to rev higher. And it will also force the transmission to shift sooner to the next gears 2-3 and gears 3-4. To this effect it will consume less fuel. The only drawback to this practice is that it is slow at the start because it does not have the torque to propel the vehicle. But as soon as you get to the highest gear you can cruise as fast as you can. That is my observation and understanding. -- I would like also to mention that I am using K&N re-usable filter and royal purple oil.
Old 09-01-08, 07:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cogon
These summer days on my 2002 RX300 AWD, I'm getting 22 mpg at 27 mph on average for Chicago suburb driving. But the way I'm driving is using the ECT snow switch on most of the time. This will engage the transmission directly to 2nd gear instead of first at the start thereby eliminating to rev higher. And it will also force the transmission to shift sooner to the next gears 2-3 and gears 3-4. To this effect it will consume less fuel. The only drawback to this practice is that it is slow at the start because it does not have the torque to propel the vehicle. But as soon as you get to the highest gear you can cruise as fast as you can. That is my observation and understanding. -- I would like also to mention that I am using K&N re-usable filter and royal purple oil.
That is interesting you are using Royal Purple oil. I hope you share your long-term experience with this oil as it is not one of the more common oils used in our forum, but I had a lot of friends back in Mexico who loved it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have a bad gas mileage, how about yours ??