RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

I have a bad gas mileage, how about yours ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 01:52 PM
ssgi4in12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Additional information : I used a Bluetooth scanner to take the freeze frame data for the cel. I will attach it here. Then I will attach another scan of the current readings. Could anything be wrong pls?
Old 10-27-16, 08:46 PM
shervink24
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2003 Lexus RX300 AWD with 170,000 miles with original transmission, and basic service intervals completed, and 2 timing belts. My mother in law got 17 mpg combined. I am getting 18 mpg city, 19.5 mpg combined, and 22 mpg all highway. My MPG is higher when I am using the cruise control, and stay around 70mph on the highway. It does not like being driven above 3000 RPM at a constant rate so setting your cruise at 80 mph will kill your fuel, and its harder on the mechanical components. Regardless the car is a work horse. Ive heard some people red line it for miles, and the car still lasts.
Old 02-18-17, 02:31 PM
gld01rx300
Driver School Candidate

I removed the roof rack on my 01 RX and immediately got a 2 MPG improvement.
Old 02-19-17, 09:16 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gld01rx300
I removed the roof rack on my 01 RX and immediately got a 2 MPG improvement.
Did you only remove the cross bars? Or the rails as well?

My commute just jumped from about 40 miles a week to 320 miles a week, not including leisurely activities. So, although I don't like how it looks without the roof rack, I may be willing to accept that for a bit more mpg. lol
Old 02-19-17, 02:03 PM
gld01rx300
Driver School Candidate

I removed the side rails as well. When you remove the rail bolds you can slide the bolt plates out of the recessed mounting slots and save them with the rails and cross bucks.
Resulted in plus 2 mpg + on my 01 model, with no other efforts. Although some of the asier items listed below will be on my future agenda.

Usdisng Crusie as much as possible will help (it is easier and mush more fractional on the accelerator than I can be with myy foot, and finding a good intermediate speed which increases your milage (I used the instantaneous milage on the panel to achieve an even better milage. Started out at 16.8 average, now at about 219.5 average but too much of my driving is consumed with short trips and stop and go traffic, and my quite often too heavy foot, which kills your milage overall.
when going to Florida, or North Carolina, from the Wheeling area I can get almost 21 mpg over all. Would do much better if the first several hundred miles wasn't nountainous.

Drop your racks, reset you average and watch it happen. If not satisfied, put them back on, takes about 10 minutes at the most. I actually picked this trip up from my son, who lives in the flat lands of Central Ohio. I clean and wax (and if needed repaint) the cross bars after I remove them for storage. If you needed on the week end , they go back on and off easily..
Old 02-19-17, 02:29 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gld01rx300
I removed the side rails as well. When you remove the rail bolds you can slide the bolt plates out of the recessed mounting slots and save them with the rails and cross bucks.
Resulted in plus 2 mpg + on my 01 model, with no other efforts. Although some of the asier items listed below will be on my future agenda.

Usdisng Crusie as much as possible will help (it is easier and mush more fractional on the accelerator than I can be with myy foot, and finding a good intermediate speed which increases your milage (I used the instantaneous milage on the panel to achieve an even better milage. Started out at 16.8 average, now at about 219.5 average but too much of my driving is consumed with short trips and stop and go traffic, and my quite often too heavy foot, which kills your milage overall.
when going to Florida, or North Carolina, from the Wheeling area I can get almost 21 mpg over all. Would do much better if the first several hundred miles wasn't nountainous.

Drop your racks, reset you average and watch it happen. If not satisfied, put them back on, takes about 10 minutes at the most. I actually picked this trip up from my son, who lives in the flat lands of Central Ohio. I clean and wax (and if needed repaint) the cross bars after I remove them for storage. If you needed on the week end , they go back on and off easily..
Thanks! I may experiment with it in the coming weeks. I've squeezed 26 mpg out of the RX300 before, but I just don't have the patience to drive that slow. I don't use cruise control though, i can get much better mpgs with constant throttle application. Cruise control will drink gas going up hills unnecessarily.
Old 04-06-17, 07:17 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I got an average of 22mpg when the car was new. It's gone down to 18-19 mpg over the 18 years I've owned it - I'm at 185,000 miles now).
Old 06-25-17, 02:10 PM
BillyAms
Driver School Candidate

Hi

first post

I have a rx300 - I love this car to bits and cant fault it to replace it.

I get about 19mpg around town and on long runs I get 28mpg and higher.

120000 miles and running like a dream

Have not changed the cambelt yet but might do soon.

Last edited by BillyAms; 06-25-17 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 07:08 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi BillAms !

Are you in flatlands?
What is your approx outside temp?
Have daily headwinds or tailwinds in your daily trips?

I get like 17/18 city and 24/25 turnpike with cruise on at 69mph. 10/15 mph average winds usually. Average temp ~ 80F. I have ~42k miles on my 2000 RX300 (it was formerly a senior's local around town ride). It was in good body shape too until last week when a guy cut a turn short and whacked my driver's mirror and rear fenderwell. At first he tried to say it was my fault. I said, oh no sir, and then showed him my dashcam. That ended the argument with him, and the video took care of his insurance company too. :-)

Regards . . .
Old 08-01-17, 02:27 AM
BillyAms
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brcobrem
Hi BillAms !

Are you in flatlands?
What is your approx outside temp?
Have daily headwinds or tailwinds in your daily trips?

I get like 17/18 city and 24/25 turnpike with cruise on at 69mph. 10/15 mph average winds usually. Average temp ~ 80F. I have ~42k miles on my 2000 RX300 (it was formerly a senior's local around town ride). It was in good body shape too until last week when a guy cut a turn short and whacked my driver's mirror and rear fenderwell. At first he tried to say it was my fault. I said, oh no sir, and then showed him my dashcam. That ended the argument with him, and the video took care of his insurance company too. :-)

Regards . . .
Hi there

yes, living in the flatlands

Approximate outside temp is 21c

Theres not too much headwind as far as I can tell

I managed to eek out 400 miles on a tank over 5 days commuting to work .. quite pleased.

Im no slouch on the highway, but Im doing about 70mph with some overtaking (80mph).

Its an old motor now but heck its so smooth. I do tend to let it warm up in the morning so the temp goes to its "running level" and the revs come down.

Sorry for the late reply

btw its a 2003 rx 300
Old 12-19-17, 08:00 AM
rmk9785e
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 99 RX300 that has been in the family all along. Currently it has about 80K miles with basic maintenance. Replaced one Oxygen sensor about 8 years ago. Its fuel efficiency has recently dropped to about 11mpg. I've cleaned the MAF sensor as advised in this forum after CEL came on but it hasn't helped. CEL has returned after a month. My readings are as follows:
Please advise. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails I have a bad gas mileage, how about yours ??-rx300-99.jpg  
Old 12-19-17, 01:42 PM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Two things jump out of that data. 1) short term fuel trim on bank 2 is absolutely maxed out at full rich but the long term is in a reasonable range. I can't explain why the long term trim isn't compensating but something is wrong with bank2. 2) Your IAT sensor is FUBAR. No way your getting 149 degree intake temperature. I'd start by testing and/or replacing that sensor.
Old 12-19-17, 10:03 PM
rmk9785e
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baetke
Two things jump out of that data. 1) short term fuel trim on bank 2 is absolutely maxed out at full rich but the long term is in a reasonable range. I can't explain why the long term trim isn't compensating but something is wrong with bank2. 2) Your IAT sensor is FUBAR. No way your getting 149 degree intake temperature. I'd start by testing and/or replacing that sensor.
On this car, had replaced Bank1 Sensor1 with Denso 234-9009 air/fuel sensor some 7 years ago to rectify the P0171 code that caused CEL. CEL s back again..
Is the IAT sensor embedded in the MAF or is it a separate sensor and if so, where would I find the part number for this sensor?
I am attaching a snapshot of engine data in case it offers any additional info.
Attached Thumbnails I have a bad gas mileage, how about yours ??-snapshot.jpg  
Old 12-20-17, 05:57 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, the IAT is part of the MAF sensor. You can get the part number right off the top of the unit. Its in the intake snorkel between the air filter and the throttle body. It has a connector with 5 wires going into it. The part number on mine is 22204-07010.
On second look at your data PIDS I see that there is a line for "Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2" and "Bank 2 Sensor 1 Short Term Fuel Trim". This is peculiar. They should have the same value and I don't know why there would be two descriptions for the same sensor. The value on the second one looks reasonable. Can your scan tool plot data? If so, make a graph of the B2S1 data and go for a drive. It should go rich on wide open throttle and lean when you coast. It should be <10% at a steady cruise.
Old 12-21-17, 04:53 PM
joetifosi
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1999 RX300 AWD
I do a lot of driving mostly around town but i average is 17-18 mpg

Quick Reply: I have a bad gas mileage, how about yours ??