RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission FAILED - But Lexus stepped up to the plate.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 01:23 PM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission FAILED - But Lexus stepped up to the plate.

Well, what I feared worst happened...transmission failed in the middle of downtown Vancouver. Earlier in the day, it had difficulty shifting into reverse. Booked a service check for first thing next morning. Car drove fine. Then in the middle of rush hour on the way home, clunk, clunk...death. Had BCAA tow the truck to the dealership. Dropped the key into the overnight box, went home and fumed.

Got a call in the morning. Dealership confirmed that the tranny was kaput. I needed a new (rebuilt) tranny that would be shipped in. Cost = $$$!. However, because I was a loyal customer, Lexus Canada would extend goodwill. Bottom line: $2000 CAN.

So, I'm pissed that Lexus quality let me down. BUT, I'm delighted that Lexus customer service continues to shine.

Backround: 99 RX300 AWD. 135,000KM. Purchased September 99. I'm the original owner of the truck. I've had it 100% dealer serviced, exactly according to the service schedule. No one but a Lexus dealership has ever touched the truck. Wipers, brake pads, battery, you name it, they've done it. The transmission, transfer, differential fluids changed every 24,000KM without fail. I had just been in for regular service less than one month ago. My tranny fluid was perfect...red and sweet.

I asked them to replace the rear main seal even though I've got no leaking (yet). Is there anything else that should be done while the transmission is out anyways?
Old 07-13-07, 01:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Sorry to hear about this.

When they put the tranny back on, make sure you don't have any leaks afterwards as sometimes seals between the tranny and engine block aren't perfect after a tranny change out. My uncle knows how to seal rather well, but gets customers who are tired of dealing with the dealers (or 'agencias' as we call them down here) with this sort of issue.
Old 07-13-07, 01:33 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask them to change the timing belt and drain old ATF out of the tranny cooler. It is obvious that changing Toyota T-IV every 20K mile did not prolong the life of your transmission in your case.
Thomas1 is keeping track of tranny failure, he will give you update on the tally. Personally I would go for synthetic ATF, change the tranny filter every 60K/install inline tranny filter.
Old 07-13-07, 04:55 PM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

So, is it much easier for them to change the timing belt now? I'm actually not due for one for another year. (It takes me about a year to drive 15000KM.)

And can you recommend an inline tranny filter? I actually don't know diddly squat about these, or if the dealerships even install them?
Old 07-13-07, 06:27 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

You can ask the dealer for a quote and see if there is any reduction in labor charge. I like to use age rather than mileage for timing belt replacement.

For inline tranny filter, as much as I think it is good for filter out debris in the ATF, I would wait until the warranty of replaced transmission expire. God forbid but in case there is a second failure, the dealer has no excuse. I believe Thomas1 and RX in NC has multiple transmission failures before 100K miles is reached, so be conservative.

Once you are out of warranty, it is not hard to install one, just find the return line from the cooler to the transmission, cut open the 3/8 rubber hose, insert a Magnafine transmission filter and secure it down with two 3/8 clamps.

I would use Amsoil synthetic ATF right away because dealer has no legal right to deny warranty and Amsoil complies to Toyota T-IV. Also there is no way dealer can tell since the leak detection cherry colored dye is universal for all ATFs.
Old 07-13-07, 08:28 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

did your reverse gear shatter? Someone posted that is the RX300's weak link. Be curious if it happened to you too.
Old 07-13-07, 10:13 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks I will keep track, by the Way tuned RX are you running the Amsoil? and would you recommend it on a tranny with 40k miles. I have changed the fluid 7 times in the last 40k miles.
Old 07-13-07, 10:20 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Yes, I changed 7 quarts of Amsoil out of 9.8 total tranny capacity @ 68K, currently I am 87K, nearly 20K of slip free miles.
I am not an Amsoil dealer, just a satisfied user. Amsoil is more expensive per quart but IMHO it is more cost effective on a per mile basis. A lot of negative comments on Amsoil is based on its MLM scene, but if you care only the product synthetic ATF gives better protection from heat and oxidation over Toyota T-IV/Mobile 3309.
Looks like you change it every oil change, pretty costly...
Old 07-13-07, 10:55 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Yea, just trying to stretch the life on this car. To get the 7quarts did you disconnect the tranny cooler line and purge the fluid? I agree a fluid that will have a higher breakdown point has to be a plus. I am planning on moving the aux cooler to the front of the vehicle when I get some time. I will have to make some brackets to accomodate this. I already have a PH8 size transmission filter on my car. This adds almost another quart of fluid to the capacity. I mounted it on the left frame above the undercover on my RX. By the way I am Lenore on the other lexus site.
Old 07-13-07, 11:48 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Yes, disconnecting the tranny cooler line is what I did. Great idea on relocating tranny cooler, I think Lexmex is also doing something similar.

Here is an Used Oil Analysis on a Highlander for 20K miles. Notice the lab Blackstone's comment. Very useful to find what is happening in the tranny and the best interval. Note, this is someone else's car and driving style/condition so use it as a reference only.

Blackstone says:

This is likely the original fill of ATF in this unit so we aren't surprised to find the excess
wear and silicon. Both should improve with subsequent oil changes. You didn't mention if this oil was
changed or not but we suggest doing so if you haven't. The wear metals make the oil abrasive, which causes more wear. No moisture was found and the trace of insolubles is okay. The viscosity read in the normal range for an ATF. The TAN read 1.0 showing some acidity in the oil. Universal averages
for this type of transmission are based on an oil run of ~13K miles.

2005 Highlander, 20,368 miles, 5-spd auto tranny, OEM fill, my results/universal averages:

Aluminum 26/16
Chromium 1/0
Iron 64/33
Copper 23/68
Lead 2/13
Tin 1/2
Moly 0/1
Nickel 0/0
Manganese 4/1
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 2/1
Boron 37/53
Silicon 30/20
Sodium 7/4
Calcium 109/132
Magnesium 2/26
Phosphorus 258/282
Zinc 3/78
Barium 8/3

SUS viscosity at 210 F = 44.0 (should be 43-51)
Flashpoint = 355 (should be >330)
Water is zero
Insolubles was listed as "trace"

This vehicle is mostly driven by my wife and has seen 60/40 highway/city driving. I have Amsoil Universal ATF ready to go into it as soon as I find someone with a T-tec machine that will let me use my own ATF.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post915426
Old 07-14-07, 07:10 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Purdy99
Well, what I feared worst happened...transmission failed in the middle of downtown Vancouver. Earlier in the day, it had difficulty shifting into reverse. Booked a service check for first thing next morning. Car drove fine. Then in the middle of rush hour on the way home, clunk, clunk...death. Had BCAA tow the truck to the dealership. Dropped the key into the overnight box, went home and fumed.

Got a call in the morning. Dealership confirmed that the tranny was kaput. I needed a new (rebuilt) tranny that would be shipped in. Cost = $$$!. However, because I was a loyal customer, Lexus Canada would extend goodwill. Bottom line: $2000 CAN.

So, I'm pissed that Lexus quality let me down. BUT, I'm delighted that Lexus customer service continues to shine.

Backround: 99 RX300 AWD. 135,000KM. Purchased September 99. I'm the original owner of the truck. I've had it 100% dealer serviced, exactly according to the service schedule. No one but a Lexus dealership has ever touched the truck. Wipers, brake pads, battery, you name it, they've done it. The transmission, transfer, differential fluids changed every 24,000KM without fail. I had just been in for regular service less than one month ago. My tranny fluid was perfect...red and sweet.

I asked them to replace the rear main seal even though I've got no leaking (yet). Is there anything else that should be done while the transmission is out anyways?

which dealer was this?
Old 07-14-07, 07:11 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Purdy99

which dealer was this? i went to see the new regency service facility last weekend and saw a dead rx300 in the front lot... i was wondering if it was yours.
Old 07-14-07, 10:15 PM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

Yep, Regency over on Evans behind Terminal. If you saw a black one out front, that was me. Regency's service is really good - its the only reason why my next car will also be a Lexus.

I serviced at Richmond for the first year or so thinking that getting work done at the place that I purchased the car would be best. BUT, they would leave grease on my mats, they refused warrantee service on a simple punctured tire of all things (at less than 20K I might add), and worst of all, their charges for regular mainteance were outrageous. (Back around '01...don't know about now since I've never gone back.)

If you're one of those - like me - who prefer dealer service, can't go wrong with Regency. (They don't do alignments. The new JP dealership does it for a reasonable cost.)
Old 07-15-07, 08:59 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

purdy99: yes, i believe then it was your RX i had seen in the front lot.

i was checking out the new regency facility because i had just had a bad service experience at jp lexus northshore. like you, i thought it was best to go back to the dealer we had purchsed or 00 rx from... but our last visit there will also be our last. i wrote about my misfortune in the canada regional forum here.

we purchased our 00 rx without knowledge this transmission problem existed. it was only afterwards when i had joined this forum that i was made aware of it. jp lexus northshore, when asked directly, would not confirm or deny the problem, only to say that they have not had to deal with any warranty or repair issues such as this.

next time, i will be definitely going to regency.

were you not afraid of leaving your car outside the dealership? i know you did not have a choice but... that location is not in a very good part of town

Last edited by Benjamin T; 07-15-07 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-15-07, 09:23 AM
Purdy99
Driver School Candidate

I think their new service station is so far into the middle of nowhere that it should be OK. Their new vehicles that aren't even prepped for sale are all out there as well, so my truck should be the least tempting target...I hope.

Quick Reply: Transmission FAILED - But Lexus stepped up to the plate.