RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2002 RX300 - Center Console Display

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 06:50 PM
jwclark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 RX300 - Center Console Display

Recently replaced battery. Now center console / monitor won't light up - was working fine before. I have check all fuses - none are bad. Is there a reset button on the display under the dash? Any other suggestions? How does the console come out - screws, push clasps, etc.?

Also, I disconnected the new battery for 30+ minutes to reset all settings - did not help!

HELP!!!!!!
Old 06-27-07, 07:51 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Have you done a search?
Old 06-27-07, 08:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Have you done a search?
You are right, I may have talked about this one before. My center console 'blew out' or so I though after a mishap at the McDonald's drive thru here involving a coke. However, it came on back by itself laster.

However, tonight I will help you try to diagnose this jwclark, as I need to take a closer look at my RX (possibily take some photos) to help you better.
Old 06-27-07, 08:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

First, I might be willing to take a crack this weekend at getting my own console off depending on how long it might take. Second, I am going to assume you checked both the Radio fuses, one in the engine bay and the other behind the coin holder. Also, do any of your a/c controls or other central console functions work (even though of course the panel doesn't light up)? Reason I ask, is there is a mechanism within the console itself that can shut off the panel, even with power running through it. This is exactly what occurred to me in the scenario I just described in my last post, a little Coke got in through the tape deck opening. Slowly, lights came back on in sections a/c then radio.

In addition was talking to another person a few weeks ago with an RX300 online and they also described a situation where it was extremely hot and the panel also would not fire up. The only other two possibilities are the system is not getting enough juice, even with new battery or something else is draining the system. The person I was mentioning in the RX330/350 forum with an Avalon had an issue where their radio would not go on and it turns out a coolant fuse of some type was draining power away...thus no radio.

Finally, I conferred with another user who checked their updated manual that some later RX300s have a diagnostic system with their center consoles that can be activated without dealer assistance. I don't have that in my service manual, but according to them it was in the body electrical section.
Old 06-28-07, 05:47 AM
anulex
Pole Position

I am also goint to assume that he has the dimmer on its highest setting
Old 06-28-07, 04:58 PM
jwclark
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the feedback

I have tried everything that has been suggested short of taking the console out and checking for loose connections or in-line fuses. However, my wife got tired of waiting on me to fix the problem - only been 10 days, but hey who's counting - and took the car to the the Lexus dealership and paid $50. for them to tell me that they checked all the fuses and they were fine. They "think" the display is bad and they would gladly replace it for $675. I told them to go (blank) themselves - they didn't confirm that the display was bad BUT they sure as hell would replace it.

Anyway, anyone know what steps are required to pop the console off of the dash - screws, push fittings, etc.?

Jeff
Old 06-28-07, 06:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jwclark
I have tried everything that has been suggested short of taking the console out and checking for loose connections or in-line fuses. However, my wife got tired of waiting on me to fix the problem - only been 10 days, but hey who's counting - and took the car to the the Lexus dealership and paid $50. for them to tell me that they checked all the fuses and they were fine. They "think" the display is bad and they would gladly replace it for $675. I told them to go (blank) themselves - they didn't confirm that the display was bad BUT they sure as hell would replace it.

Anyway, anyone know what steps are required to pop the console off of the dash - screws, push fittings, etc.?

Jeff
Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to this on this weekend as far as removing the center console (wanted to do some other modifications, too, but can only do a few this weekend as I have a family thing on part of Sunday). There have been a few members in this forum who have done it and the might be able to chip in a little bit quicker on this.
Old 06-28-07, 06:14 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

quick post as i'm pressed for time.............the wood trim pops out, you have to pry it up around the edges. it is held in place by those metal clip things.

after you get that out of the way I believe it is 4 bolts that hold the radio/console/display in place. very easy to take out.
Old 06-28-07, 06:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Shonuff
quick post as i'm pressed for time.............the wood trim pops out, you have to pry it up around the edges. it is held in place by those metal clip things.

after you get that out of the way I believe it is 4 bolts that hold the radio/console/display in place. very easy to take out.
I actually this was a more difficult process, but according to my manual you're absolutely right.

They note 10 clips underneath the wood (that is true as I had to install my XM that way)

According to my manual that's right. Two bolts located on each side (in blue on the one side below underneath the wood cover).
Attached Thumbnails 2002 RX300 - Center Console Display-test.jpg  
Old 06-28-07, 06:35 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

quick pic of the wood removed..........pay no attention to that mass of wires, it's from when I relocated the lcd screen and factory radio/ac. yours should look nothing like that lol
Old 06-28-07, 06:38 PM
Shonuff
Pole Position

here you can see where the bolts are............as you can see my lazy self forgot to put one of them back in. man after seeing the pics I didn't realize how much sand got inside my rx. gonna clean it tomorrow.

good luck hope this helps
Old 06-29-07, 12:07 PM
jwclark
Driver School Candidate

Smile Thanks again

Thanks for the information and the pics. I figured that some of the pieces "Popped Off" but didn't want to start prying without knowing.

Thanks again, I will check it out soon and let everyone know what I find.

Jeff
Old 07-17-07, 03:13 PM
jwclark
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE*****
Took console out and radio/heater/display section out and removed display. Took display apart and checked for bad connections. No good. Bought used upper console off of Ebay and swapped out display - works fine. Must've shorted when battery was replaced. Going to Advance Auto tomorrow with bad parts and receipts to, hopefully, get some financial reimbursement.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Jeff
Old 02-10-16, 05:56 AM
ppter
Driver School Candidate

Default My rx300 screen won't light up too.....

Originally Posted by jwclark
UPDATE*****
Took console out and radio/heater/display section out and removed display. Took display apart and checked for bad connections. No good. Bought used upper console off of Ebay and swapped out display - works fine. Must've shorted when battery was replaced. Going to Advance Auto tomorrow with bad parts and receipts to, hopefully, get some financial reimbursement.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Jeff
My rx300 screen won't light up too,but,sometimes it can work. I check all fuse,connection still no work.
Can fix it ?
Thanks
Peter