RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2000 RX300 transmission story

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 03:34 PM
danlaws
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 RX300 transmission story

The tranny on my RX300 died two days ago. I just turned 100k miles. I've read most of the horror stories on this forum involving transmission issues, so I called Lexus customer service and asked for help. I was told they would review my request for a "Goodwill Warranty", and to expect a returned call within 2-3 business days. In the meantime I found a reputable independent shop who would replace my tranny for $3500. (My dealership quoted me $4500) I was prepared to stand my ground and push Lexus customer service as hard as I could, but I didn't really expect to get anything out of them. Lexus called me back 48 hours later and with no discussion offered to replace my transmission with a remanufactured one. All I have to pay is labor. Both people I talked to at Lexus were courteous and thanked me for being a Lexus customer. The RX is my first Lexus and other than routine maintenance, this is the first money I've had to spend on it. I've had other good cars, but after this experience, Lexus has gained a customer for life.
Old 06-20-07, 03:39 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome to clublexus! sorry to hear about the tranny, but congrats that lexus will replace it with just a labor fee.
Old 06-20-07, 03:55 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danlaws
The tranny on my RX300 died two days ago. I just turned 100k miles. I've read most of the horror stories on this forum involving transmission issues, so I called Lexus customer service and asked for help. I was told they would review my request for a "Goodwill Warranty", and to expect a returned call within 2-3 business days. In the meantime I found a reputable independent shop who would replace my tranny for $3500. (My dealership quoted me $4500) I was prepared to stand my ground and push Lexus customer service as hard as I could, but I didn't really expect to get anything out of them. Lexus called me back 48 hours later and with no discussion offered to replace my transmission with a remanufactured one. All I have to pay is labor. Both people I talked to at Lexus were courteous and thanked me for being a Lexus customer. The RX is my first Lexus and other than routine maintenance, this is the first money I've had to spend on it. I've had other good cars, but after this experience, Lexus has gained a customer for life.
You are lucky, because will save money. Say thanks to your dealer. By book the R&R labor is around 14 hours plus they will charge you for ATF. That should be at most $1500. It is a really good deal for a new transmission which should last at least 150,000 miles. Congrats!
PS: Welcome to the Club!
Old 06-20-07, 04:02 PM
danlaws
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcomes. I couldn't have done it without the info I found here. My deal keeps getting better though, my dealership told me the would charge me for 7 1/2 hours. I bought the car from them and they've done all the service. Loyalty pays off.
Old 06-20-07, 04:20 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Thanks for the welcomes. I couldn't have done it without the info I found here. My deal keeps getting better though, my dealership told me the would charge me for 7 1/2 hours. I bought the car from them and they've done all the service. Loyalty pays off.
You have a good dealer. But you probably spent lots of kilodollars at that place (at apposed to most of us here). So they treat you as a "regular" Or someone at the dealership has a crush on you
Old 06-20-07, 05:40 PM
Gomer1
Driver

Loyalty pays off.
You've probably paid in full for a new transmission already
I wonder if you could pick up the transmission and DIY or do it at a local shop .... sorry, in my world, dealer = enemy
Old 06-20-07, 06:12 PM
danlaws
Driver School Candidate

Yes I have a good dealer, but I don't think my service guy has a crush on me. I can handle brakes and oil changes myself. I even managed to change my plugs (thanks to Lexmex's post). But a trasmission install is too much for me. I won't pay the dealership $50 for an oil change, but I will spend the extra bucks to make sure my timing belt is done right. I don't pull in the dealership every 3000 miles, but they've seen the car enough to know it's been well taken care of.
Old 06-20-07, 07:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Yes I have a good dealer, but I don't think my service guy has a crush on me. I can handle brakes and oil changes myself. I even managed to change my plugs (thanks to Lexmex's post). But a trasmission install is too much for me. I won't pay the dealership $50 for an oil change, but I will spend the extra bucks to make sure my timing belt is done right. I don't pull in the dealership every 3000 miles, but they've seen the car enough to know it's been well taken care of.
I appreciate the compliment. I actually plan to show a thread on dettaching the throttle body to show how to better get at those rear plugs and make life a little easier (perhaps this weekend if I can remember to do it )

I have helped my uncle Antonio install/deinstalls transmissions (he then hauls them to buddy that fixes them) and I feel often like we are performing witchcraft.. I have good connections with dealers here (Toyota, etc.) and even though they are a better equipped than my uncle, it is not an easy thing to do.
Old 06-20-07, 08:31 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I appreciate the compliment. I actually plan to show a thread on dettaching the throttle body to show how to better get at those rear plugs and make life a little easier (perhaps this weekend if I can remember to do it )
Congrats on moderator appointment!
Why not remove the whole upper intake manifold?
If you ever did it, you probably remember this stay and that impossible-to-get bold under the hook:
Attached Thumbnails 2000 RX300 transmission story-dsc00635-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Meetya; 06-20-07 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-20-07, 09:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thank you

I haven't done it yet, but am considering it in order to do a thorough cleaning before I install a custom (going to show everyone how to make it) oil catch can with hoses running off the PVC valve and crankcase vent hose.

The throttle body itself is not too hard, 3 bolts on the unit itself, but there two bolts on the side, one is a 12mm and the other one a 10mm (I think) and one of them, I think the 12mm was a royal pain to remove and put back on (even to take a photo of this is going to take some squeezing to get a good shot).
Old 06-21-07, 06:37 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I too know what you're talking about through a different experience with Lexus Corporate. If your Lexus has been cared for as per their recomendations Lexus does a faantastic job of stepping up and taking care of their customers. No matter what the mileage. Congrats on the repair, from another Lexus for life customer.
Old 06-23-07, 09:03 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Thank you

I haven't done it yet, but am considering it in order to do a thorough cleaning before I install a custom (going to show everyone how to make it) oil catch can with hoses running off the PVC valve and crankcase vent hose.
Are you sure this will be legal? I am sure that if you alter PCV system so unburned crap (that includes gases) is just collecting in a container you will get a huge fine here if state inspector finds out.
Old 06-23-07, 09:19 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Meetya
Are you sure this will be legal? I am sure that if you alter PCV system so unburned crap (that includes gases) is just collecting in a container you will get a huge fine here if state inspector finds out.
Down here no. But in California, you might have an issue (and that goes for just about anything else excepting certain things with CARB stickers). I asked this question a while back to some friends back in the states. The answer was as long as you aren't venting the crud to the atmosphere as older cars used to by just dripping the stuff along the road.

There was a guy over in the ES forum running one from Greddy, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180271

I shoudn't have spoken to soon, as you may want to ask vin 78 as he is in CA and has this.

Last edited by Lexmex; 06-23-07 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-23-07, 09:35 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Down here no. But in California, you might have an issue (and that goes for just about anything else excepting certain things with CARB stickers). I asked this question a while back to some friends back in the states. The answer was as long as you aren't venting the crud to the atmosphere as older cars used to by just dripping the stuff along the road.

There was a guy over in the ES forum running one from Greddy, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180271

I shoudn't have spoken to soon, as you may want to ask vin 78 as he is in CA and has this.
Wow. I looked at pictures, seems like it is a closed loop. It pretty much acts as filter. So the gases are blown back to intake and not escaping as I assumed, only liquid is collected. This makes sense.
Old 06-23-07, 09:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Meetya
Wow. I looked at pictures, seems like it is a closed loop. It pretty much acts as filter. So the gases are blown back to intake and not escaping as I assumed, only liquid is collected. This makes sense.
I know what you mean about the closed loop.

Actually, with that PCV valve you need those gases going back in as the vacuum needs to pull open that valve.

He must have had one long tube from that other side where the PCV is.

Quick Reply: 2000 RX300 transmission story