RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P1130 and maybe Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 12:50 PM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1130 and maybe Leak

Hey guys, i have been getting some CEL's recently. Now i just ordered a Equus 3110 and it gives me an error code of P1130: Air/Fuel Sensor circuit range performance. I also notice that there seems to be a hissing sound when i turn on the car near the bottom of the car. I am inclinded to believe it is somewhere near the Sensor. Now i am wondering if i replace the sensor near the cat, do u think that would also stop the leaks? Am i doing this wrong? Any hints or anything else i should do would be appreciated. Thanks Guys.

Edit: A little history
Recently changed the spark plugs (within 3000 miles)
Recently changed the coolant (still toyota red)(within 3000 miles)
had bad ignition coil before the spark plug change.
Has 107,000 miles on it.
For some odd reason, the oil level went real low when the first CEL came on. Did not notice any burning of oil or leaking. The performance is still the same as it was before. Added 2 quarts and is now fine. Last oil change was done by me 1500 miles ago so i thought it was something wrong with that.

Not sure if this helps or anything.

Edit 2: im asking this after searching, i realized what the code would be. And am not sure which bank it would be (all other searches say Bank 1 sensor 1) but im worried about the leak (if there is one).

Last edited by cobravap; 06-12-07 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-12-07, 08:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I can tell you that when I start up my RX, it makes a hissing sound given that I have modified intake, in essence a giant vacuum. I have gotten no CELs, but having a larger exhaust system also helps balance out A/F readings (before my modified exhaust, I would occasionally get a P0171 error on th modified intake).

Look for that hissing sound, you may have a cracked/disconnected hose within the air intake system and that is a very likely source of the issue. Other source is a cracked exhaust manifold, could be the accordion joint directly underneat the engine or elsewhere, and that will also make a hiss.

Bank 1 sensor 1 is behind the engine and correlates to P1130.

The sensor near the cat (main cat) throws an entirely different code and is related to a wavelength detection not a/f ratios.
Old 06-12-07, 09:46 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobravap
Hey guys, i have been getting some CEL's recently. Now i just ordered a Equus 3110 and it gives me an error code of P1130: Air/Fuel Sensor circuit range performance. I also notice that there seems to be a hissing sound when i turn on the car near the bottom of the car. I am inclinded to believe it is somewhere near the Sensor. Now i am wondering if i replace the sensor near the cat, do u think that would also stop the leaks? Am i doing this wrong? Any hints or anything else i should do would be appreciated. Thanks Guys.
It is only P1130 or there are other codes like P0125?
That hissing sound is it still there if A/C if off?
You can see Bank 1 O2 sensor while laying under your car on the passenger side looking at [rear/right] exhaust manifold. Inspect that manifold for cracks while you are there.
Attached Thumbnails P1130 and maybe Leak-dsc00822-medium-.jpg  
Old 06-13-07, 04:47 AM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick replies. The hissing sound is there w/o the AC on. and i will check the intake hoses and stuff before i take it for a drive. The p1130 was the only code that the scanner gave me. I will try and take a look at the manifold to see if there are cracks and report back to u guys.
Old 06-13-07, 09:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I can tell you when I had new piping put in late last year, the rear manifold had one hairline crack on the part that was replaced.
Old 06-13-07, 09:49 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I can tell you when I had new piping put in late last year, the rear manifold had one hairline crack on the part that was replaced.
Those OEM manifolds suck. We need better, aftermarket ones.
Old 06-13-07, 10:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Meetya
Those OEM manifolds suck. We need better, aftermarket ones.
I have seen those ones for various headers for 1MZFE, and the parts coming off the engine would work fine, but the placement for the A/F sensor has been strange in some place. TunedRX300 noticed this and it has been a source of priceless amusement. The dudes over on solaraguy.org talk a lot about these.
Old 06-29-07, 09:56 PM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

Well after some help from TunedRX300, i finally finished replacing the Bank 1 sensor 1. I also replaced Bank 2 sensor 2 figured might as well fix it now since i have time. Any how after i reset the ecu via disconnecting the battery, i drove about 15-20 miles and no CEL. I am not sure if it will come back. Once i got home i wanted to see if there were any pending codes. It said there were none, but it looked like the car didnt pass the emission test on the Equus 3110. It showed a Yellow Led light instead of green. From the manual it reads: "Indicates there is a possible prolem. a 'Pending' DTC is present and/or some of the vehicles emission monitors have not run their diagnostic testing."
Now it showed no DTC's present. Do u think that i need to drive this more and maybe a CEL will come. i wonder if there is an exhaust leak like i originally thought. Didnt see one when i went under the car to look. What is everyones input? I plan to change the transmission fluid tomorrow. Im pretty sure that doing that wont mess up anything right?

Thanks
Old 06-29-07, 10:45 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cobravap
Well after some help from TunedRX300, i finally finished replacing the Bank 1 sensor 1. I also replaced Bank 2 sensor 2 figured might as well fix it now since i have time. Any how after i reset the ecu via disconnecting the battery, i drove about 15-20 miles and no CEL. I am not sure if it will come back. Once i got home i wanted to see if there were any pending codes. It said there were none, but it looked like the car didnt pass the emission test on the Equus 3110. It showed a Yellow Led light instead of green. From the manual it reads: "Indicates there is a possible prolem. a 'Pending' DTC is present and/or some of the vehicles emission monitors have not run their diagnostic testing."
Now it showed no DTC's present. Do u think that i need to drive this more and maybe a CEL will come. i wonder if there is an exhaust leak like i originally thought. Didnt see one when i went under the car to look. What is everyones input? I plan to change the transmission fluid tomorrow. Im pretty sure that doing that wont mess up anything right?

Thanks
Ah...you may have to run it around a bit more. That emissions monitors is something you can check with some OBDII scanners, and it comes under the term readiness monitors. Sees if your cat is ready along with your A/F sensors. Some vehicles are finicky and need a few hours, some just 15 minutes to get a drive cycle and then on the scanner it will say something like OK or READY.

Tranny fluid change out won't affect a thing. Just run it around a bit more. Some AutoZones have the advanced Actron Scanner like I bought my uncle and it scan the monitors.
Old 06-30-07, 09:47 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have seen those ones for various headers for 1MZFE, and the parts coming off the engine would work fine, but the placement for the A/F sensor has been strange in some place. TunedRX300 noticed this and it has been a source of priceless amusement. The dudes over on solaraguy.org talk a lot about these.
There are JP Performance header for Camry V6 that Lexmex first told me, but >$1000 just too expensive. The Megan header looks good with stainless steel but the rear manifold header does not have an O2 sensor bung, so folks are trying to cut a hole or sell the $200 investment they made to other unkowning ebayer bidders.
Make the story short, there is no reasonably priced aftermarket header for RX300, even if you find one for Camry V6, our exhaust plumbing is slightly different. That is why Lexmex had to do customized downpipe and I am staying put for now.