RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tire Rack & Cross Terrains discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 03:47 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
You might want to try the Goodyear Integrity (yikes.) Its paper-thin sidewall gives it super light weight. Though its cornering suffers. Not a big deal for drag racing.

I remember that you mentioned Mexican CT 235 has extra layers, so it's better for bad roads.
That's right. One of the layers was a nylon and I can't remember what the other layer was made of...kryptonite?

However, you pay for the suckers, about $200 USD or so per tire here.

Integritys won't last on Mexican roads though.

Best thing I ever did was to get nitrogen. I used to lose about 1 psi per month on normal air (that is about right), but virtually nothing with the nitrogen.
Old 06-14-07, 03:56 PM
Gomer1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Tire Rack rating is based on the opinions of the people who visited its website, not based on scientific testing.

Read CR's RX300 reviews ('98 and '01) with the Bridgestone Dueler 687 tires. Here are some of the editor's comments relevant to the tires:

"Overall braking performance was very good"
"Soaks up most pavement flaws well"
"Highway ride is serene"
"...avoidance maneuver... commendable for an SUV"
"Handling is secure though not agile" (This ain't sports car)

When in doubt, I'd trust experts who've done their research and testing. Also note that higher rating in tire wear does not make it a better tire.
I'm going to disagree with that statement. I did read CR's review on many of the tires for the RX and I read how poorly the Cross Terrains did (i think second to last) however, how is their testing done? I doubt these so called experts drive 5 different RX's each with a different set of tires for 6 years and then write a review. I'm guessing, they put the tires on, drive for 5 minutes and evaluate. On this one, I'm going to trust what the daily drivers have to say regarding their experience with their tires over the years.
Old 06-14-07, 04:41 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Tire Rack rating is based on the opinions of the people who visited its website, not based on scientific testing.

Read CR's RX300 reviews ('98 and '01) with the Bridgestone Dueler 687 tires. Here are some of the editor's comments relevant to the tires:

"Overall braking performance was very good"
"Soaks up most pavement flaws well"
"Highway ride is serene"
"...avoidance maneuver... commendable for an SUV"
"Handling is secure though not agile" (This ain't sports car)

When in doubt, I'd trust experts who've done their research and testing. Also note that higher rating in tire wear does not make it a better tire.
Would you trust your own opinion? On 2/26/06 you created a post titled:

"Dueler H/T D687 for your RX? Think again."

Your first line read:
"If you need replacement tires for your RX, don't buy the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687."

here's the link if you would like to re-read the whole thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=tires
Old 06-14-07, 06:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

There is no right or wrong tire.

It all depends on what you want the tires to do and of course what you can afford.
Old 06-15-07, 07:58 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
There is no right or wrong tire.

It all depends on what you want the tires to do and of course what you can afford.
I guess you are right about that. We all expect safety and a ceratin performance level from a tire but beyond that are needs vary a bit. Some of us need summer tires, some winter tires and some a combination of both. A good number of us here are maintaining our wifes ride. Others are maintaining their own ride. For some who prefer the wider look and added benefits at the track a 235 makes sense. Some may not plan on keeping their RX that long in which case a lower wearing tire might make good economic sense as long as it still delivers reasonable safety and performance.
Old 06-17-07, 10:22 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gomer1
I'm going to disagree with that statement. I did read CR's review on many of the tires for the RX and I read how poorly the Cross Terrains did (i think second to last)
They tested the 235, which is the Ford OEM. You can look up how CR test their tires in controlled scientific settings. I won't bother to repeat it here.
Old 06-17-07, 10:24 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikey00
Would you trust your own opinion? On 2/26/06 you created a post titled:

"Dueler H/T D687 for your RX? Think again."

Your first line read:
"If you need replacement tires for your RX, don't buy the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T D687."

here's the link if you would like to re-read the whole thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=tires
I do recommend that people consider the pros and cons of the 687 tire. It does about everything well, but its winter performance is poor after 7/32" and tire wear is fast (slowed down after 7/32")

As tire wears down, its performance characteristics can change. So it's important that I keep fellow ClubLexus members updated.
Old 06-18-07, 04:04 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Best thing I ever did was to get nitrogen. I used to lose about 1 psi per month on normal air (that is about right), but virtually nothing with the nitrogen.
It could be the moisture in the air that get the valves slightly stuck and leak air. Frozen nitrogen expels moisture so the gas is completely dry when it comes out. Fortunately I haven't seen any leaking issues either with nitrogen or plain air.
Old 06-18-07, 04:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

It could be the moisture in the air that get the valves slightly stuck and leak air. Frozen nitrogen expels moisture so the gas is completely dry when it comes out. Fortunately I haven't seen any leaking issues either with nitrogen or plain air.
That's a good point, and when I thought about it, I think the issues I use to notice with the air were due to the thin air we have up here. I see people checking tire pressure WAY MORE than back in the U.S. Not sure what you experience in Colorado, but we don't get the same temperature range as there, much hotter here in comparison.
Old 06-18-07, 04:57 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I have been using nitrogen since Costco started offering it for free and found the same. I almost never have to add to my tires anymore. I just received a flyer from the lexus dealer listing all the benefits of nitrogen offering to fill my tires with nitrogen for $74.
Old 06-18-07, 06:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mikey00
I have been using nitrogen since Costco started offering it for free and found the same. I almost never have to add to my tires anymore. I just received a flyer from the lexus dealer listing all the benefits of nitrogen offering to fill my tires with nitrogen for $74.
$74 USD at Lexus, wow.

Down here I can get it for $25 USD for all 4, actually now free for me at my exhaust place. Costco here charges under $20 USD.
Old 06-18-07, 08:24 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$74 USD at Lexus, wow.

Down here I can get it for $25 USD for all 4, actually now free for me at my exhaust place. Costco here charges under $20 USD.
I know that tire that is inflated with Nitrogen loses its pressure 3 times slower.
But I don't understand why pay $74 three times less than free air?
Air is 78% Nitrogen anyway, so basically you pay $74 to remove Oxygen from your tires. Btw, how do customers know if it is 100% Nitrogen? Maybe they sell just 78% Nitrogen? ;-) Well if it would be free with a purchase of a set I would do it. But $74! come on Lexus! What next? You start charging for coffee and bottled water?
Old 06-18-07, 09:20 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Meetya
I know that tire that is inflated with Nitrogen loses its pressure 3 times slower.
But I don't understand why pay $74 three times less than free air?
Air is 78% Nitrogen anyway, so basically you pay $74 to remove Oxygen from your tires. Btw, how do customers know if it is 100% Nitrogen? Maybe they sell just 78% Nitrogen? ;-) Well if it would be free with a purchase of a set I would do it. But $74! come on Lexus! What next? You start charging for coffee and bottled water?
Where I go, they have a machine and I can watch them do it.
Old 06-19-07, 04:08 AM
Gomer1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going back to the original topic, the Cross Terrains are now $159 a piece, WTF?
Where do I find that $60 costco coupon?
Old 06-19-07, 07:12 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gomer1
going back to the original topic, the Cross Terrains are now $159 a piece, WTF?
Where do I find that $60 costco coupon?
www.costco.com. It's right on the first page that comes up. Last time I did the order and payment online and went to my local Costco for installation.

Quick Reply: Tire Rack & Cross Terrains discrepancy