RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P1346, P1351 and others on new engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 10:02 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I did it by myself. I know, I'm crazy.
I knew about the timing marks on the sprockets and timing covers but I thought I had everything lined up properly. The rear camshaft timing mark behind the camshaft sprocket is hard to see. It's on a difficult angle. Looking back, I learned alot from this job. I neglected to make my own marks on the sprockets and timing covers BEFORE taking off the old belt. I'll never do that again.
I have air tools but even the impact driver I have wasn't enough to break loose the crankshaft bolt. I had to use a breaker bar and lock the flywheel after taking off the starter.
I still don't understand why the engine runs fine but the code is setting because the sprocket is off by only one tooth. Seems awefully sensitive. It seems like I have two options; live with the CEL until I have to replace the belt again or take it all apart and turn the sprocket again!?!?!? UGH!!!!!
Old 06-25-07, 10:24 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by colenzae
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I did it by myself. I know, I'm crazy.
I knew about the timing marks on the sprockets and timing covers but I thought I had everything lined up properly. The rear camshaft timing mark behind the camshaft sprocket is hard to see. It's on a difficult angle. Looking back, I learned alot from this job. I neglected to make my own marks on the sprockets and timing covers BEFORE taking off the old belt. I'll never do that again.
I have air tools but even the impact driver I have wasn't enough to break loose the crankshaft bolt. I had to use a breaker bar and lock the flywheel after taking off the starter.
I still don't understand why the engine runs fine but the code is setting because the sprocket is off by only one tooth. Seems awefully sensitive. It seems like I have two options; live with the CEL until I have to replace the belt again or take it all apart and turn the sprocket again!?!?!? UGH!!!!!
It is VVT-i what is very sensitive. VVT-i have cam position sensors on both banks. And they are 1-tooth receptive.

Here is the quote from the Service Manual:
"VVT sensor (VV1 or VV2 signal) consist of a signal plate and pickup coil. The VV1 or VV2 signal plate has 1 tooth on its outer circumference and is mounted on the intake camshafts. When the camshafts rotate, the protrusion on the signal plate and the air gap on the pickup coil change, causing fluctuations in the magnetic field and generating an electromotive force in the pickup coil.
The actual camshaft angle is detected by the VVT sensor and it provides feedback to the ECM to control the intake valve timing in response to during condition."

Last edited by Meetya; 06-25-07 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-15-07, 01:00 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Anyone know how to figure out which direction the camshaft needs to be turned and exactly how far to correct this???
Old 08-01-07, 11:09 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
When my uncle, cousins and I install engines, a common CEL to get is timing error, it usually takes some adjusting and rechecking over and over.
How do you re-adjust and check??
Old 08-01-07, 01:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

How do you re-adjust and check??
I won't be able to help you much on this as I haven't had the luxury of working on my own RX300 in this area...yet.

However, when my uncle and I have encountered this problem, notoriously on a 3.0 X5 a few months back, it ended up being the actual camshaft sensor itself. I have never seen nor heard of case involving a stretched belt either. On older vehicles, my uncle does a trial and error involving adjusting timing.

Meetya probably has the best experience here.
Old 08-01-07, 05:16 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

So when your uncle adjusts the timing does he turn the camshafts and then re-check?? I think thats what I may have to do.
Old 08-02-07, 07:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

So when your uncle adjusts the timing does he turn the camshafts and then re-check?? I think thats what I may have to do.
Yeah, occasionally that, more often after installing a new timing belt or chain.
Old 08-06-07, 08:37 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Yeah, occasionally that, more often after installing a new timing belt or chain.
Is there some kind of diagnostic tool that he uses; maybe something that you connect to the ECU that tells you how far the timing is out and exactly how far and in what direction to turn the camshaft in order to correct the timing and thereby eliminate the code??
Old 08-06-07, 09:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Is there some kind of diagnostic tool that he uses; maybe something that you connect to the ECU that tells you how far the timing is out and exactly how far and in what direction to turn the camshaft in order to correct the timing and thereby eliminate the code??
Only thing he uses, and occasionally, is a timing light. Most of what he does is pure trial and error as he has been doing for over 30 years.

Thinking more about this, I can take a closer look at this on the weekend on my RX.

Last edited by Lexmex; 08-06-07 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 12:22 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Only thing he uses, and occasionally, is a timing light. Most of what he does is pure trial and error as he has been doing for over 30 years.

Thinking more about this, I can take a closer look at this on the weekend on my RX.
I appreciate any advice you can give. I want to make sure I can get this done and have everything I need before I attempt it.
Old 08-07-07, 01:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I appreciate any advice you can give. I want to make sure I can get this done and have everything I need before I attempt it.
I am sure you will do better than the dealers down here. My uncle gets a few every so often that he has to adjust timing on after the dealer bungled the job and wanted more money.
Old 08-09-07, 07:49 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

I need to have this car inspected and it won't pass with a CEL.
Anyone know if I disconnect the camshaft position sensor and clear the codes, will the code come back with the lead disconnected??
Old 08-10-07, 07:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Haven't done this on an RX, but on other vehicles disconnecting it caused it not to start or sputter This sensor is related to the timing of the spark plugs.
Old 08-11-07, 07:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

colenzae,

I am my uncle's now, but we won't be able get to this until tomorrow as my uncle and I have a full shop today to attend to.

He mentioned he worked on an 01 Maxima the other day that also had a similar error. However, in that case, the belt that had been used for the job was an el cheapo and was indeed skipping teeth so my uncle got a better quality one and all was good. In addition,the belt had some play in it and was a little wide left and right, respectively, of the timing marks. My uncle suspects this happens on a lot of older and OBDI vehicles (he used to work in California in the 80s and rarely saw this) at high altitude here, especially in summer time and people just don't know any better until they feel or have a problem, which is one thing he really likes about OBDII and the scanner I gave him as a gift.
Old 08-11-07, 10:25 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Could you please ask him if it's possible to turn the camshaft without removing the timing belt?? Can it be turned after removing the belt tensioner??

Quick Reply: P1346, P1351 and others on new engine