RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Air Mix Servo???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 07:04 PM
1nablxsonr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi smerre01,
Please post any pictures of glove box removal, as well as other panels that needs to be removed or loosend. Also, please post pictures of servo locations/removal procedures and inards if any.Thank you in advance!
Old 04-13-10, 06:26 PM
pablootr
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html Heres the DIY
Old 05-03-10, 11:31 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pablootr
nice search win....

i knew the rx and the gs shared the issue but i never thought bout actually posting my DIY in the RX section. hope it helps you guys....
Old 09-27-10, 09:35 AM
MASSMINI
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A tip on how to loosen the upper screw (the one blocked by pipes) on the air mix servo... For me the stubby-Phillips-at-an-angle approach wasn't working and I was worried I was damaging the screw head. I was able get it out using a very thin, small, flat head screw driver bit from a computer repair kit. The bit was about 2 inches long and thin enough to fit between the pipes and the flat end small enough to fit in the Phillips head. To turn it I clamped the bit in needle nose vice grips.

Once the servo was out the assortment of micro screw driver bits worked really well as wedges to pry the clips and get the box open.

Inside looked fine other than black gunk on the brush type contacts. After cleaning contacts and re-installing the servo not longer hunts and I have heat.
Old 09-27-10, 02:08 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MASSMINI
A tip on how to loosen the upper screw (the one blocked by pipes) on the air mix servo... For me the stubby-Phillips-at-an-angle approach wasn't working and I was worried I was damaging the screw head. I was able get it out using a very thin, small, flat head screw driver bit from a computer repair kit. The bit was about 2 inches long and thin enough to fit between the pipes and the flat end small enough to fit in the Phillips head. To turn it I clamped the bit in needle nose vice grips.

Once the servo was out the assortment of micro screw driver bits worked really well as wedges to pry the clips and get the box open.

Inside looked fine other than black gunk on the brush type contacts. After cleaning contacts and re-installing the servo not longer hunts and I have heat.
What I used on the lower servo on the hard to get at screw was the same thing I often use, that's a #1 on the #2 screw. That allows you to get at a greater angle and yet keep the bit in the the screw. What I used on the upper servo (I believe) was a stubby Phillips bit and a 1/4 in. ratcheting box end wrench. I actually have a really stubby 1/4 in. Phillips bit that I ground down to only the Phillips and enough of the hex to hold in the ratcheting box for those REALLY tight places. A sharp #1 will actually hold quite well on an angle where a #2 will want to slip if the screw is not excessively tight.
Old 09-27-10, 03:31 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Can anybody post pictures?? I really don't feel confident in doing this diy without pics.. If anyone has them it would awesome if you could post them up!
Old 09-27-10, 11:41 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
Can anybody post pictures?? I really don't feel confident in doing this diy without pics.. If anyone has them it would awesome if you could post them up!
Click on the link in post 32 above. That is a GS, not an RX but you get the idea, they are a lot alike. DO NOT remove the blower fan!
I've done a couple of them and they're not that bad if you have any mechanical aptitude.
Old 10-27-10, 01:45 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Did not have time to play with my wife's RX.
Just replace both (driver and passenger side) air mix servo for $865.00 at Lex dealer.
It works good now.
Old 10-31-10, 04:58 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had replaced the air/servo motor (bottom) about a year agao. Then just before 1yr, it happened again, and completely died. Part replacement was under warranty but going back in there and messing with those screws were no fun.
Old 08-28-11, 07:05 PM
JonSnow
Driver School Candidate

Had the blessed servo failure on wife’s car and only had about an hour to work on it before catching a flight. I decided to go with a temporary no-cost fix. It had failed in the “air to the footwell” mode which doesn’t work well for AC in the summer. I removed the glove box and coaxed the damper into position by moving the linkage. Then I unplugged the servo. So for now, it’s in the right mode for summer and makes no noise. Here’s some pics.

1. The view with the glove box removed
2. The problem servo
3. Connector removed

HTH
Attached Thumbnails Air Mix Servo???-iphone-download-8-28-11-014.jpg   Air Mix Servo???-picture1.jpg   Air Mix Servo???-picture2.jpg  
Old 11-02-11, 03:35 AM
kching989
Driver School Candidate

I took the servo apart apply voltage to motor, motor work fine, when I put them back together can't turn arm. Can someone please tell me what cause that, when I connect power to the servo, it wouldn't work. If someone have a picture what position the arm of the servo when I put it together. Thank in advance
Old 11-02-11, 08:34 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

One issue could be the arms are stiff (a damper door is stuck) etc ...
The other is the motor with no load works and when subjected to normal load it craps out.
Mechanical linkages are out of sync.The servo needs to be in sync with the arm position.

Salim
Old 11-07-11, 07:32 AM
pbonck
Driver School Candidate

Default Air Mix Servo

Had the same issue on my 2001 RX300. Just replace the mix servo and you'll be good to go. It's really not that hard. Remove the glove box and kick panel. You'll see two valves that look exactly alike, and they are. The mix servo is the forward one. They run a little over $200 at the dealer. Couldn't find it anywhere else. You should do this when your car is cold. There is a heater hose that runs very close and it gets very hot. Good luck.
Old 11-07-11, 07:36 AM
pbonck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JonSnow
Had the blessed servo failure on wife’s car and only had about an hour to work on it before catching a flight. I decided to go with a temporary no-cost fix. It had failed in the “air to the footwell” mode which doesn’t work well for AC in the summer. I removed the glove box and coaxed the damper into position by moving the linkage. Then I unplugged the servo. So for now, it’s in the right mode for summer and makes no noise. Here’s some pics.

1. The view with the glove box removed
2. The problem servo
3. Connector removed

HTH
Jon that's the wrong servo. If you have the same issue that I had you need to look at the servo just forward of that one. It is a little harder to get to but I'll bet that is the cause of your issue. When I took mine apart to clean it there were grooves in the copper contact board that were worn completely through. I replaced the servo and voila.
Old 11-07-11, 07:45 AM
pbonck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kching989
I took the servo apart apply voltage to motor, motor work fine, when I put them back together can't turn arm. Can someone please tell me what cause that, when I connect power to the servo, it wouldn't work. If someone have a picture what position the arm of the servo when I put it together. Thank in advance
When you removed the servo and took it apart did you notice what position the arm was in? Also, was there an excessive amount of lube on the copper brush or contact plates? If so wipe off the excess and look to see it the contact plate is worn through. If you remove the white duct you'll notice another mix servo that looks exactly like the one you took off. They are the same part but do different functions. One mixes hot and cold and one actuates doors. Same signal, different function. I bet your problem is in the forward mix servo. With the right tools it's not that difficult. As long as you don't force the servo's into place to install them, they should reset if they are operational. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Air Mix Servo???