RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Air Mix Servo???

Old 06-16-08, 07:13 AM
LexusMBF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
More on servo:

There are 2 servos in the passenger foot-well.

One is fairly obvious once you take the glove compartment off. ... in the foot-well but on the side of the gear shift pod. 2 screws are clearly visible on this but the third (one closest to the firewall) is accessible with stubby Phillips but one has to work blind.

The second servo is few inches away ... more closer to the feet and towards the firewall. Once again the screw closet to the firewall is not visible. BUT the top screw is visible, but is not accessible. The refrigerant lines run right in front of the screw.

Salim
Cleaning the first servo motor didn't help for me. So I try to take the second servo which looks inaccessible. But yes, ... you can take it out. The screw behind the refrigerant line can be access with a stubby Phillips at an angle. You can turn it loose up to one point, then continue turning it with a small plier. The other 2 screws is easy though the other one is not visible.
I cleaned the servo as described, and now the annoying noise is gone.
Oh ya, removing the air duct make the job easier.

Even though I think there are not too many people having problem with this servo motor, but once you experience it, the noise is very annoying
Hope this can help!
Old 06-16-08, 12:54 PM
RX300malib
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are actually three servos on the passenger side. The third controls the internal/outside fresh air control door which is just behind the blower motor on the left side.
Old 06-24-08, 01:54 PM
nghiaho58
Driver School Candidate

Hi Smerre01,
I have the same problem with my 2003 ES300 and would like to fix it after i read all the threads. However, my job would be much easier if you send me or post the pictures. My email is nghiaho58@yahoo.com. Big THANKS o all of you.
Old 07-23-08, 08:44 AM
leonedavis
Driver School Candidate

well i fixed my servo last night. it had completely stopped working and was only allowing air to blow on the floor. i think i figured out the dreaded "hamster" noise behind the dash for sure. i dont really think it has anything to do with actually cleaning the contacts (though that may inadvertently fix it at time).

i took it all apart and cleaned and greased everything back up. when i reinstalled it, it was working again which was wonderful. it was still making that awful sound though. i took it back apart and noticed that the worm gear had already moved up the shaft of the servo and was making that noise. so i epoxied a little plastic spacer at the end of the worm gear to keep it from advancing up the servo shaft. popped her back in and it works like a charm with no hamster sound behind the dash. if lexus would just have slightly re-molded the servo's plastic clip-together box, none of us would have ever had this problem.
Old 07-24-08, 02:36 AM
gx27
Driver School Candidate

if i m not wrong, the actuators are manufactured by DENSO.
Had the problem last year. got it fixed for RM180 + RM 40 labour cost ( about USD70 total ).
I m living in the far east, Malaysia.
Old 08-23-08, 11:50 AM
Ckroush
Rookie

I took mine apart (breaking every single one of those plastic tabs holding it together) and did as instructed, putting it back together. Now I have it snapped back together and want to re-install it but cannot remember exactly how it was positioned. Does anyone have any pictures or can explain it to me?
Old 08-24-08, 03:45 PM
cjd260
Driver School Candidate

Well at least I can help with this. If you remember the rough area where it's supposed to be you can match it up more precisely by positioning three of the four screw holes at the corners of the unit over three grey cylinders that the unit screws into. The trick is to make sure the plastic arms the unit is designed to turn are matched to the plastic arms on the unit itself (one of the arms on the car itself has to be held back out of its resting position to slot into the plastic arm on the unit. Once you have it in place, you'll know it - you can feel the unit fit. Sorry I don't have a diagram, as I'm about to ask for one myself.
Old 08-24-08, 03:51 PM
cjd260
Driver School Candidate

As posted elsewhere, I removed the "first" unit - the easy one to get to, the one closest to the passenger seat - but was unable to get to the "second" one, the one behind it, which I believe to be the reason why I'm getting only warm air out of the passenger-side a/c vents. Does anyone know of a trick for getting at this? Or failing a trick, can anyone post the pages of the service manual describing the removal process? My email address is cdesmond at gmail, if anyone has it handy...

Many thanks,

--Chris
Old 09-09-09, 08:54 PM
mcleb25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smerre01
Yeah I had the same problem with the Air Supply Mixture servo on my 99 a few weeks ago. I figured out which servo was causing the noise and went to Lexus they told me 160.00 for the part which made me laugh. I noted that the position of the lever making the ticking sound was not correct. I took out the servo (was going to be replaced one way or another) and disassembled it. It has like 6 or so plastic tabs holding it together. I turned the lever assembly on the servo to the correct bottom position re-assembled it, and re-installedi it. Works like a champ and no problems. I don't know how the lever got so far out of position but it did. If before you remove the servo from the car (with the car off) you can operate the track that the servo lever feeds into it will help you determine the correct position of the lever. It only takes about 1-1/2 hours to complete this repair total. Hope this helps, if needed I can take some pictures and post them if needed.
Any chance you can post pictures...I took the glove box out and got to where the noise is coming from but left it at that as I wasn't sure what to do next. The noise has gotten unbearable at this point and I went the Lexus dealership here in Austin and they wanted $976 to replace both air mix servo's.
Old 09-10-09, 07:24 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same repair pending, I started last month and then I gave up found it really tricky .. Pictures would help. Thanks.
Old 09-10-09, 08:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rx300mm
I have the same repair pending, I started last month and then I gave up found it really tricky .. Pictures would help. Thanks.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3946871-post35.html
Old 09-24-09, 04:03 PM
MR.50
Driver School Candidate

Had the same ticking problem with servo on 99. Whent to lowes and bought a can of electronic switch & contact cleaner and gb ox-gard compound
unpluged the servo, spayed the contact pins, filled with compound, then pluged it back in. Works great
Old 09-24-09, 04:31 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.50
Had the same ticking problem with servo on 99. Whent to lowes and bought a can of electronic switch & contact cleaner and gb ox-gard compound
unpluged the servo, spayed the contact pins, filled with compound, then pluged it back in. Works great
Be careful with ox-guard on multi pin connectors. Ox-guard is filled with fine metallic particles which conduct electricity and help it make a better connection but can also short out multi-pin or moving connections. Dialectric grease on the other hand is an insulator and does not conduct electricty but prevents oxidation.
Old 04-09-10, 03:51 PM
jbeckassoc
Driver School Candidate

Default Servo is driving me crazy

Originally Posted by cjd260
Well at least I can help with this. If you remember the rough area where it's supposed to be you can match it up more precisely by positioning three of the four screw holes at the corners of the unit over three grey cylinders that the unit screws into. The trick is to make sure the plastic arms the unit is designed to turn are matched to the plastic arms on the unit itself (one of the arms on the car itself has to be held back out of its resting position to slot into the plastic arm on the unit. Once you have it in place, you'll know it - you can feel the unit fit. Sorry I don't have a diagram, as I'm about to ask for one myself.
I took out the servo, opened the case, and cleaned the contacts. Now for the life of me I can't seem to get the servo correctly re-installed. I have tried a dozen times, but I can't get the thing to work correctly. The air coming from the vents does not correspond to the arrows on the display. There seem to be unlimited options for positioning the white plastic arm on the servo into the arm that works the air flow to the car. How do you know where to position the gear before snapping the case back together?
Old 04-12-10, 12:05 PM
jbeckassoc
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy That servo is driving me crazy

I took out the servo, opened the case, and cleaned the contacts. Now for the life of me I can't seem to get the servo correctly re-installed. I have tried a dozen times, but I can't get the thing to work correctly. The air coming from the vents does not correspond to the arrows on the digital display. There seem to be unlimited options for positioning the white plastic arm on the servo into the arm that works the air flow to the car. How do you know where to position the gear before snapping the case back together?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Mix Servo???