RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cracked Key Shell

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 03:47 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Key Shell

My master key shell recently cracked near where the key and the shell meets so I am in need of just a new key shell. I check ebay but I am not sure if I trust the quality and they only sell them with the blades permanently attached. I just need the shell. No blade or transponder. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 05-02-07, 03:59 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the same thing happened to my key a couple of months ago, except they broke into two pieces. for a quick fix i just loaded it with superglue and now its solid. my batteries seem to be running low, so i would need to replace it soon.

you could probably go to the dealership for just the shell of the key. i dont think any seller on ebay sells the keys in parts.
Old 05-02-07, 04:36 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kRonX
My master key shell recently cracked near where the key and the shell meets so I am in need of just a new key shell. I check ebay but I am not sure if I trust the quality and they only sell them with the blades permanently attached. I just need the shell. No blade or transponder. Any recommendations? Thanks!
I got two shells off ebay, I think it was $15 or something. Then I took it to the Lexus dealer and he cut it for $60. OUCH. I actually walked out when he told me the price to cut the key (I already moved the transponder into it myself). He chased me down and said that was for 3 so I went ahead and did my two keys, I was envisioning $120 for 2 keys.

So bottom line if you get an Ebay shell, and have it cut, you pay $45 per key, versus the $250 Lexus will charge you for a replaement key.

They are perfect OEM quality.

Here is a tip, I found out at the local Kobey's Swap Meet every weekend there is a guy that can cut all car security keys for cheap, so go that route and avoid the dealer. Most (if not all) key shops I called do not do car security keys, the mobile locksmits will, but they don't have shops, just trucks and since I couldn't come to them, they lost my money.

Last edited by toy4two; 05-02-07 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-02-07, 04:39 PM
turbo1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

same problem here, used crazy glue to fix.
Old 05-03-07, 09:59 AM
anulex
Pole Position

u can get one from ebay with no lexus sign for $10 or so. with lexus sign if u find it, its about $24 + shipping
Old 05-03-07, 10:17 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Are the keys breaking from cranking or some other reason?

I guess either way this RX forum is a rough crowd.
Old 05-03-07, 01:42 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Ya i knew about the high price for the new keys to be cut. That is why i was just looking for the shell itself. I guess i might just go the super glue route for now. I don't understand why they don't just sell the shells separately even on ebay. I am not even sure how it cracked. Could be from all that cranking, but i throw my keys around so that could be the problem too.
Old 05-03-07, 01:49 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

I bought 2 key blanks off ebay and had them cut the keys with the code off my credit card key. It was $65 total shipped (already cut) and all I had to do was move the transponder over.
Old 05-03-07, 10:36 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul
Are the keys breaking from cranking or some other reason?

I guess either way this RX forum is a rough crowd.
well my key just had a minor crack, but when i went to get an inspection...the guy used to much muscle to start the engine and it just snapped in two.
Old 05-07-07, 04:07 PM
Woot
Driver School Candidate

Timely thread. My key cracked on me yesterday right above the screw. I'll go the super glue route and see if it sticks.
Old 05-08-07, 07:43 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Got two new OE back covers for $24 each. They look great and my keys are perfect again.
Old 05-08-07, 04:13 PM
kRonX
Lead Lap

Got two new OE back covers for $24 each. They look great and my keys are perfect again.
Where did you get the back covers?
Old 05-08-07, 04:32 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

One half (more than half) has the blade (key) and the other is really a cover.

If the cover is cracked, just visit the Lexus parts asn most probably they will give you one for free [these are left over parts from old keys].

The other half with the key, if broken will need a full replacement (without the electronics). This was about $75 (including the cut) from dealer.

Salim
Old 05-09-07, 07:31 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kRonX
Where did you get the back covers?
i got the 1st one from a guy on ebay that sells them. He mostly have RX330 and othe keys. He had one RX300 key cover on the auction. I bought it immediately. It was so pefect that i emailed him and asked if he had another he said yes but didnt really want to list it. i got it 3days ago. Now both my keys and the valet are almost new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...QQcmdZViewItem
use the link and contact the seller and ask him if he has anymore RX300 covers with the lexus Logo
Old 05-09-07, 04:01 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM new key with free shipping and cutting for $69.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Cracked Key Shell