RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

AC Compressor Problems

Old 03-06-07, 05:47 AM
dhg2496
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compressor Problems

Has anyone seen a similar issue...

When I turn on the AC I get one of three things, it works fine, the belt starts to squeal, or the engine surges. When the last two happen I can see that the compressor appears to be stopped and will not move.

I'm assuming the compressor needs to be replaced but any other advice or things I should be checking would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 03-06-07, 10:15 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

If the compressor is stuck, further attempts to engage the clutch will ruin your belt.

Sorry to hear this but it is going to be an expensive repair. Do keep us posted. BTW you can go to a competent AC mechanic for repairs.

Salim
Old 03-06-07, 01:32 PM
dhg2496
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply, the porblem is that when you hit the defrost button it turns on the AC automatically so I have to always remember to quickly turn it back off.

I just find it odd that it will work ocasionally. But I'm sure it's off the shop as soon as I can find a few days to leave the car at the shop. I just hate these suprise expenses, but hey don't all cars! Does anyone have a rough idea on the cost of replacing the AC Compressor (parts and labor)?
Old 03-06-07, 05:44 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Should be $800-$1200 from a good AC shop, more or less. Get an estimate from a couple of sources before approving the work. Your dealer will probably be very expensive, and won't have the most experienced mechanics, either. The major costs will be the compressor, the drain and refill of the refrigerant, oil, and a new dryer (should be replaced whenever the system has been opened). If the compressor actually locked up, they should inspect the AC clutch and the belt. When all is reassembled, they should perform a thorough leak test to be sure you don't repeat all of this in a few weeks.
Old 03-07-07, 11:07 AM
dhg2496
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, but I sure hope it's less than $800, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 03-08-07, 03:58 PM
yoon
Driver

does your ac light blink by any chance? im having the same symptoms, but whenever i turn the ac on, the light will constantly blink/flash
Old 03-09-07, 08:45 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

If your ac light is blinking you have a problem somewhere in the AC system. I've had the same experience on both my 300 and 330 after driving through a deep puddle. The 300 probably did this a dozen times, the 330 maybe twice.

The compressor stops and the system blows warm air until I cycle the button and all is well again. I suspect the AC clutch is getting wet, disengaging or slipping and causing the compressor to stop rotating although the thermostat has it on. After resetting it seems to work fine. Lexus doesn't seem to have much to say . . .
Old 03-09-07, 09:30 AM
salimshah

Blinky AC light is mother of all problems detected and the system shuts down. On RX300 I have only experienced it twice and both were in exterem humid conditions. Blinky I suspect is based on one of the sensors indicating out-whack condition.
a) Environment
b) Real failure
c) sensor going bad.

If you are getting the blinky, after ruling out "a", it might be time to take it to the dealer for an electronic diagnosis [I doubt that OBDII checks the AC]

Salim
Old 03-09-07, 09:53 AM
yoon
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Blinky AC light is mother of all problems detected and the system shuts down. On RX300 I have only experienced it twice and both were in exterem humid conditions. Blinky I suspect is based on one of the sensors indicating out-whack condition.
a) Environment
b) Real failure
c) sensor going bad.

If you are getting the blinky, after ruling out "a", it might be time to take it to the dealer for an electronic diagnosis [I doubt that OBDII checks the AC]

Salim
i was told that it was my rpm sensor going baf without any kind of inspection. the funny thing is, when i play around with the ac controls it will blow cold sometimes, and other times it will just keep blinking and blow hot. any ideas?
Old 03-15-07, 06:07 AM
dhg2496
Driver School Candidate

Well, at first I thought it might be enviromental and thought cold weather might be the problem. But the last few days it's been over 60 here in Michigan and it's still having problems.

The odd thing is that most of the time the light doesn't blink, but I'm not brave enough to let it sit while the compressor doesn't want to turn, so maybe I don't let it run long enough for the light to start blinking. Also the car is not reporting any problems that would be caught by ODBII Scanners, other than the AC it's running great!

Does anyone know if I can manually rotate the compressor while the engine is off, with a wrench or something. I just want to see if it's locked up, but I have no idea how to test it.
Old 03-19-07, 11:13 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhg2496
Has anyone seen a similar issue...

When I turn on the AC I get one of three things, it works fine, the belt starts to squeal, or the engine surges. When the last two happen I can see that the compressor appears to be stopped and will not move.

I'm assuming the compressor needs to be replaced but any other advice or things I should be checking would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Well, at first I thought it might be enviromental and thought cold weather might be the problem. But the last few days it's been over 60 here in Michigan and it's still having problems.

The odd thing is that most of the time the light doesn't blink, but I'm not brave enough to let it sit while the compressor doesn't want to turn, so maybe I don't let it run long enough for the light to start blinking. Also the car is not reporting any problems that would be caught by ODBII Scanners, other than the AC it's running great!

Does anyone know if I can manually rotate the compressor while the engine is off, with a wrench or something. I just want to see if it's locked up, but I have no idea how to test it.
I'm going thru the same thing. I believe my alternator also went out too due the resistance of the belt from the AC compresser not turning. The belts whine and get super hot when I start the car, though no engine codes and the AC still blows ice cold
Old 03-20-07, 05:52 AM
dhg2496
Driver School Candidate

Does your run fine if you turn the ac off? It seems like the clutch in the compressor just lets it spin free once I shut it off and doesn't cause any drivability issues, except that I don't have AC, which isn't a problem with the current 40 degree temps, but it will once we start hitting 70+ in a few months.
Old 03-30-07, 07:46 AM
dhg2496
Driver School Candidate

Finally brought the RX in to the local Toyota Dealer - And it is a bad AC compressor. Toyota wants $700+ for the Compressor and another $400 for Other parts, refrigerant and Labor, So basically $1100 if they fix it, and I'm getting married in a few months and the money is going towards that rather than the AC.

So has anyone done any of this work on thier own before? I figure I have to get the system flushed at a local shop and then I need a dryer and a new compressor. Then install and get the sytem recharged or refill myself. I have the service manual but haven't had time to look at it yet but any pointers would be great.
Old 03-30-07, 10:08 AM
salimshah

AC is an auxillary function to the base car.

Potentially you can take it to a non-dealer shop.

The disadvantages I see are (not a complete list):
Parts ... for Lexus you may have to get the parts from L dealer or maybe Toyota.
Know How: Shop learns various tricks and shortcuts working with a perticalar model.
Post work warranty issues: What happens if you discover a failure later. Who is responcible for parts and labor. Part may be covered by the dealer, but what about the labor for the second time work?

Salim
Old 03-30-07, 01:44 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

So has anyone done any of this work on thier own before? I figure I have to get the system flushed at a local shop and then I need a dryer and a new compressor. Then install and get the sytem recharged or refill myself. I have the service manual but haven't had time to look at it yet but any pointers would be great.
Not really practical anymore. EPA regs don't allow servicing the system beyond just hanging and connecting the new parts. Discharging and recharging the system requires expensive special tools and a wall full of licenses.

You would have to take it to an authorized shop to have the system discharged, then install the new components yourself, assuming you have the tools required. Once buttoned up, you would have to take it back to a shop for filling and testing. By the time you factor in purchasing the parts, you probably wouldn't save too much money with a DIY job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Compressor Problems