RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Spark Plugs DIY (if you have the patience)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 11:53 PM
cobravap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Write-up lexmex, Thanks for helping me out as i will be using this to do my plugs. Its stilllll way tooo cold to do that in chicago.
Old 02-12-07, 04:50 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great DIY, Lexmex! Clear step-by-step photos greatly simplify the task. Thanks!
Old 02-12-07, 07:00 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Excellent!

I guess there is no way to torque to spec

Salim
Old 02-12-07, 12:25 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexmex,
Great pictures and DIY instructions.
I wonder does it make sense to replace rear coil(s) when spark plugs are replaced. Used coils can still serve as backup to front ones. Which one is the most difficult and do you know the average mile OEM coil goes bad?
Old 02-12-07, 12:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Lexmex,
Great pictures and DIY instructions.
I wonder does it make sense to replace rear coil(s) when spark plugs are replaced. Used coils can still serve as backup to front ones. Which one is the most difficult and do you know the average mile OEM coil goes bad?
That is an excellent question.

Well the coils themselves cost about $125 USD each, however I would need to investigate to see if the newer coils themselves offer an improvement over the original OEM ones. One of mine died late last year, but I had also been spraying the intake mainfold with some carb cleaner and while on the way to the track, misfire and I was running like a cow. I was already over 100K when mine gave out, however, I had replaced my spark plugs with the old Torquemasters you see just now only a month prior.

Coils themselves can fail for all sorts of reasons. One common one is the fact (as we saw with my old plugs) thay can get corroded and the spark plug gap can widen, thus to bridge the gap so to speak, one needs more power/voltage to get a spark. That can overload a plug. Humidity and climatological reasons can also cause this. Thus at least examining a plug to see the wear is a good preventive measure.
Old 02-12-07, 10:09 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

What a GREAT and DETAILED how to!!!

I especially like the hail storm intermission!

If we still had our RX, I would have definitely tried this when the weather was warmer.

What exactly do the coils do? And do all vehicles have them? I remember changing some spark plugs in a 4 banger 91' Camry, and there were no coils. Just a distributor cap and wires... (this shows how much I know about engines)
Old 02-12-07, 11:15 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzy928
What a GREAT and DETAILED how to!!!

I especially like the hail storm intermission!

If we still had our RX, I would have definitely tried this when the weather was warmer.

What exactly do the coils do? And do all vehicles have them? I remember changing some spark plugs in a 4 banger 91' Camry, and there were no coils. Just a distributor cap and wires... (this shows how much I know about engines)
Coil distributor system was, a single coil would produce high voltage and the distributor would provide electrical path to the right plug in a round robin fashion. Distributor ended up being a high voltage switch.

With the coil over plug, the high voltage (coil) directly connects to the spark plug, and the primary side (low voltage) is switched sequentially.

Advantages:
The coil now has longer recovery time as it now has to produce high voltage once per two turns of the crank.
EM is reduced as there are no long spark plug wires.
The round robin switch now works at lower voltage.
Spark time lag, due to spark plug lead and routing is now very controlled.

Salim
Old 03-18-07, 04:51 PM
Jubane
Driver School Candidate

Problem. I took my car to a garage to get the spark plugs replaced I decided on getting the Bosch +4 iridium fusion plugs http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...Plugs/IrFusion

I do not know if its the plugs or they did some sort of error but what is happening is that I am getting ALOT of smoke from the exhaust and it smells rich, like the fuel is not being burned. The truck idles fine but with alot of smoke. From a dead stop when accelerating the car hesitates almost like it wants to turn off and literally feels like one of the coils firing at the wrong time. I am thinking that when they put the coils back and connected them they crossed one of the connections.

Want to get your input as to what else it could be but I think thats what it is. Also if anyone has used these plugs or if it could be the plugs. Thanks
Old 03-18-07, 05:08 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jubane
Problem. I took my car to a garage to get the spark plugs replaced I decided on getting the Bosch +4 iridium fusion plugs http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...Plugs/IrFusion

I do not know if its the plugs or they did some sort of error but what is happening is that I am getting ALOT of smoke from the exhaust and it smells rich, like the fuel is not being burned. The truck idles fine but with alot of smoke. From a dead stop when accelerating the car hesitates almost like it wants to turn off and literally feels like one of the coils firing at the wrong time. I am thinking that when they put the coils back and connected them they crossed one of the connections.

Want to get your input as to what else it could be but I think thats what it is. Also if anyone has used these plugs or if it could be the plugs. Thanks
Go to Autozone and get CEL code read out for free. Could be a bad plug but most likely a bad coil pack.
Old 03-18-07, 05:11 PM
Jubane
Driver School Candidate

I have gone to autozone before to get a code read out and it will give a code if the check engine light is on. It is NOT coming on in this case which suprised me the problem I am having it should be buzzing and flashing hey there is a problem.
Old 03-18-07, 05:32 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Jubane,

In order to get any code, you might want to pull the battery cables off and let the system reset. When I switched out my plugs, I pull the battery cable (actually I do it every week before I got to the track).

Like TunedRX300 mentioned, a bad coil pack is a likely cause here. It need not be a total failed coil, just inefficient. They could have messed up the connections and that would throw off the firing sequence. I have made that boo-boo a few times on some cars at my uncle's garage.
Old 03-18-07, 05:38 PM
Jubane
Driver School Candidate

On the connector is there a number that will pertain to its firing order number and also would anyone be able to give me the firing order??? This way I can check the front connectors and see if I can see the numbers on the rear ones.
Old 03-21-07, 07:51 PM
Jubane
Driver School Candidate

Well truck is back and running smoothly trouble was the spark plugs they were not firing correctly. Replaced the Bosch with Denso Iridium and engine now runs smoothly. Thanks to all for your suggestions
Old 03-21-07, 09:59 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jubane
Well truck is back and running smoothly trouble was the spark plugs they were not firing correctly. Replaced the Bosch with Denso Iridium and engine now runs smoothly. Thanks to all for your suggestions
Thanks for posting back, what is the BOSCH model and part number you used?
Old 03-22-07, 12:56 PM
Jubane
Driver School Candidate

I used the Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion +4 plugs Part # 4501;

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...Plugs/IrFusion

These plugs are a big

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs DIY (if you have the patience)