RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brake Pads DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 08:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by trhs75
Chachacha -- I may be stating the obvious, but make sure the parking brake is OFF before trying to remove those rear rotors. I always set the parking brake when I jack up the vehicle, but I also tried to knock off the rear rotors while the parking brake shoes were holding it in place Duh!! Much easier without the brake on....
Makes me so glad Florida is a flat place.
Old 11-26-11, 08:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gazi001
Axxis Deluxe pads wholesale closeout sale at Rockauto.com for around $15 and $14 for front and rear pads.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
That's an excellent price and same pads I am using now.

BTW, on my brakes, I'm going to replace all the piston boots on Monday along with the dust boots for the slide pins. I ended up getting the parts at Advance Auto for a lot cheaper than Lexus. I don't plan to take out the pistons (that's a bit more complicated procedure) due to time constraints, but am going to clean the area of the pistons that is exposed. I probably will show the pictures in the lubrication thread that I mentioned and linked to at the beginning of this brake DIY.

The piston that I do have a bit out now (front, driver's side) had a little bit of accumulation on it, but no scratches. If I had seen scratches of any kind I would have considered replacing them (I do have the piston seals).
Old 11-26-11, 11:31 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought both brake pads for future replacement from Rock Auto. I noticed that my brake fluid reservoir got little below
level and brake sign came. I added little more fluid but didnot get lower since 2/3 weeks. May be leaks. I have to check.
Old 11-27-11, 06:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gazi001
I bought both brake pads for future replacement from Rock Auto. I noticed that my brake fluid reservoir got little below
level and brake sign came. I added little more fluid but didnot get lower since 2/3 weeks. May be leaks. I have to check.
I saw rock auto had a good deal on some brembo front rotors for like $12 bucks each yesterday. They do get some good deals and I regularly look at them, amazon, ebay and a few other places, it's all good competition.
Old 01-03-12, 10:35 AM
veerana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My name is Riz and I am new here. Have been reading this forum for a while.
I need help with regards to pads and rotors. I have a 2000 Lexus RX 300, and need front and rear brake pads and front brake rotors replaced.
What do I need to buy ? Front/rear Pads, shim kit, hardware kit? what would be the best place to buy it? Lexus OEM parts of any third party? Local dealer (Indiana) have front pads for $80 Shim Kit for $46, and front Rotors for $107/each.

Thanks
Old 01-03-12, 01:52 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by veerana
Hi,
My name is Riz and I am new here. Have been reading this forum for a while.
I need help with regards to pads and rotors. I have a 2000 Lexus RX 300, and need front and rear brake pads and front brake rotors replaced.
What do I need to buy ? Front/rear Pads, shim kit, hardware kit? what would be the best place to buy it? Lexus OEM parts of any third party? Local dealer (Indiana) have front pads for $80 Shim Kit for $46, and front Rotors for $107/each.

Thanks
Welcome.

There are lots of places which sell OEM parts and I would suggest to get OEM parts from one of the Club Lexus sponsors. They facilitate this forum and every thing being equal, should deserve our business.

There are rubber boots and shims and based on their current condition may or may not need to be replaced.

You would also need brake grease (to reduce chatter). Do not buy this from Lexus as you can get it at substantially lower price and it can be generic.

CRC brake cleaner is not a must but can be handy incase you get oil/grease on rotors.

Salim
Old 01-04-12, 06:45 AM
veerana
Driver School Candidate

Salim,

Thanks for the info, I sure will look at CL sponsors when I order parts.
Old 05-15-12, 12:38 AM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did the rear pads + rotors.
I thought I had to adjust the parking shoes in order to take rotor out so I had to redo everything to make proper adjustment to the parking shoes so they don't scrap on the rotor.

The one thing I did notice is, the ACT325 that I got from JcWhitney looks different from the online and the photo on the first page.

The box is from Akebono and it says ACT325 on the side, but the pad I got fits the, but has significantly less pad surface(about 1/3 less than OEM pad) and also doesn't have the slot in the middle, but instead just one continuous surface with chamfer on each side.

Did they change model or I am just paranoid that it doesn't look like any of the photos online?
Old 06-15-12, 10:34 AM
soundgood
Driver School Candidate

I want to thank all the posters here for their contribution. I just replaced the front pads on my 2002 RX300
it took me about 2 hours (took my time). I purchased the front/rear ACT325 and ACT 930 pads from Auto Parts Place $115.24 (includes tax/handling/shipping). I will attemp to change the rear pads soon. Again thanks to all for your valuable input, it really helps a rookie like me.

Jojo
Old 10-24-13, 01:36 PM
CharlieH
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tutorial. Question. I inspected my 2000 Lexus 300 front rotors and I noticed what looked like criss cross marks. Are these made from the wear indicators? Is this a sign to replace the pads? I don't see any circular scoring of the rotor. Please advise

CharlieH
Old 11-21-15, 09:04 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi all, my brake warning light on the dashboard has gone on and off a few times in the past week. i checked the fluid and it is around the min line, maybe a little below. from my research it sounds like the fluid only gets low when the pads wear out, so it sounds like i may have to get these pads replaced. i'm still a beginner when it comes to DIY, and i was wondering on a scale the level of difficulty of this repair and roughly how long it will take. i had some issues with another DIY, so i don't want to waste any time if the fix is too difficult or get myself into a situation where i make things worse. thanks!
Old 11-21-15, 09:07 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soundgood
I want to thank all the posters here for their contribution. I just replaced the front pads on my 2002 RX300
it took me about 2 hours (took my time). I purchased the front/rear ACT325 and ACT 930 pads from Auto Parts Place $115.24 (includes tax/handling/shipping). I will attemp to change the rear pads soon. Again thanks to all for your valuable input, it really helps a rookie like me.

Jojo
hi jojo, i've never done a job like this before and am a little apprehensive. is this an easy fix? you said it took you roughly 2 hours for the front so total would probably be around 4 hours?
Old 11-22-15, 01:08 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by hsmac
hi jojo, i've never done a job like this before and am a little apprehensive. is this an easy fix? you said it took you roughly 2 hours for the front so total would probably be around 4 hours?
Make sure you service (clean & lube) caliper slide pins and replace brake fluid if it is more than 2-3 years old. Don't just do a "pad slap". You will not be happy with the results.
Old 12-09-15, 06:19 PM
kasak
Rookie

BECK/ARNLEY 0881311D AXXIS Deluxe brake pads are $24.79 at rockauto.
BREMBO 25552 Rear; 2WD; Solid; OE Replacement; Min Thick: 9mm [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] - $26.84
My RX300 has 167K miles on it. It is AWD. Can those rear brembo rotors(mentioned 2WD) be used for an AWD?
Old 12-09-15, 08:14 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kasak
BECK/ARNLEY 0881311D AXXIS Deluxe brake pads are $24.79 at rockauto.
BREMBO 25552 Rear; 2WD; Solid; OE Replacement; Min Thick: 9mm [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] - $26.84
My RX300 has 167K miles on it. It is AWD. Can those rear brembo rotors(mentioned 2WD) be used for an AWD?
No, they are different.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads DIY