RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What was the first modification (if any) on your RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 10:20 AM
vimal01997
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-15-15, 05:38 PM
DewHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, I purchased two new headlights ($130 for both - link is http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-03-Lexus-...-/161648705383) - Swapped out my old and very smokey headlights. The wiring was easy as you just plug the low beam wire only into ballast wire and fasten other two wires to each other and one to headlight on each side. Then just zip tie ballast on each side in preferred location.

Only issue I had was placing the grommet - never did figure that out as the instructions referred to a bulb cover which I do not have on my car. Also put in LED bulbs in parking light and eyeball light. Major upgrade in night visibility.

I can provide headlight replacement instructions (found somewhere) and take a couple of photos of wiring if needed.
Old 05-15-15, 05:42 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DewHawk
Matt, I purchased two new headlights ($130 for both - link is http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-03-Lexus-...-/161648705383) - Swapped out my old and very smokey headlights. The wiring was easy as you just plug the low beam wire only into ballast wire and fasten other two wires to each other and one to headlight on each side. Then just zip tie ballast on each side in preferred location.

Only issue I had was placing the grommet - never did figure that out as the instructions referred to a bulb cover which I do not have on my car. Also put in LED bulbs in parking light and eyeball light. Major upgrade in night visibility.

I can provide headlight replacement instructions (found somewhere) and take a couple of photos of wiring if needed.
Thanks hawk; i think for right now I have to hold off due to finances; but; when it comes to that time; I will pm you; or i can give you my email and you can email me, etc.
Old 05-16-15, 01:46 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My first mod was to tighten up the throttle cable where it attaches to the throttle body. That made a vast improvement in throttle response.

there's a good write up on it here;
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...se-advise.html

Last year I added LED lamps in the rear bumper where those reflectors are mounted. That made for a very distinct look.
Here's a photo;

Rear LED's
Old 05-16-15, 03:50 PM
DewHawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good
Old 05-16-15, 08:36 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

those leds in the bumper look pretty cool there harrier!
Old 06-24-15, 02:21 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi DewHawk, your RX looks great! Those TLC touches makes a world of difference.

When I saw you replaced your headlights I got so excited that I may be able to get a reasonably priced set for my 02 with HIDs, but not. They are outrageously expensive.

Looks great. Keep up the good work with it.

Originally Posted by DewHawk

closer view headlights

Hi 2K, do you have a write up for adding LEDs into the rear bumper reflectors? Thanks.

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Last year I added LED lamps in the rear bumper where those reflectors are mounted. That made for a very distinct look.
Here's a photo;

Rear LED's
Old 06-24-15, 10:59 PM
SomeAznGuy
Driver School Candidate

Just picked up a 02 for my wife last week. So far, I've tinted the windows. I'm planning on doing whatever else the wife will let me do to it. Lol.
Old 10-05-16, 04:10 AM
PhoenixAsh
Driver School Candidate

First thing I did to Lola, was 6K HIDs, 330 18's, window visors, deleted the tow package, and I made myself a custom air ram intake. A while after, I got her a grille visor. And I know that I may seem a little corny for this, but I decided to order a VVT-i badge from the dealership. XD
Thought it was kinda goofy of me at first, but I slowly grew to like it. I think it was more of the location that I placed it. Where a Silversport badge would sit.
She has been with me for 5, going on 6 years, and I don't see myself giving her up anytime soon.

Before I painted, and mounted the 18's
My freshly done detail job. Pre-grille visor.
Love the light touch of red on the intelligence.

A LOT more reliable than my other car, next to her...

Current shot. I honestly love how well these cars age when they are well taken care of. She does not look 17 years old.

Last edited by PhoenixAsh; 10-05-16 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-05-16, 11:53 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I changed out my taillights and backup lights using plug-and-play LED bulbs from DDM tuning Huntington beach California. These lights bulbs are fantastically bright of also using HID headlights 5K and 3K for my fogs on interior lighting is LED also I bought these at DDM tuning Huntington Beach California. www.DDM tuning.com I also changed all the transmission fluid to Max life full synthetic along with my power steering I also use mobile one 5W-30 extended service full synthetic motor oil. I am now trying to locate a Brembo style braking system, I also understand that Toyota TRD made a supercharger that fits my engine I'm in the process of locating one now to see if it will fit. The only problem I have is getting past smog I think. I buy all my oil at Walmart the cost is so much lower than other places synthetic oil will help your parts last a lot longer. I have driven my 2 of my Toyotas over 500,000 miles using synthetic oil and nothing ever wore out. I also change all the fluids in the trans and PS every 30 K and motor 15 K
Old 10-05-16, 01:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

For those of you with HIDS, are you experiencing any extra glare or blinding other drivers due to the reflector housing? I'm debating getting some LED headlight bulbs, but don't want to cause a hazard.
Old 10-10-16, 04:04 PM
PhoenixAsh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
For those of you with HIDS, are you experiencing any extra glare or blinding other drivers due to the reflector housing? I'm debating getting some LED headlight bulbs, but don't want to cause a hazard.
I have been contemplating the same thing for years now. I am on board to do that, maybe once I take care of all of my current finances. Have prices on LED bulbs dropped down any lately?
Old 10-10-16, 04:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhoenixAsh
I have been contemplating the same thing for years now. I am on board to do that, maybe once I take care of all of my current finances. Have prices on LED bulbs dropped down any lately?
Yeah, they aren't too expensive. I took the plunge last week and bought 9006 6500k LEDs from Amazon for $42. Haven't driven enough at night yet to comment on glare, etc. Still need to fine-tune the aiming as well.
Old 10-26-16, 05:36 AM
PhoenixAsh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Yeah, they aren't too expensive. I took the plunge last week and bought 9006 6500k LEDs from Amazon for $42. Haven't driven enough at night yet to comment on glare, etc. Still need to fine-tune the aiming as well.
would love to see some photos. I'm excited. I may just buy a set for mine as well.
Old 10-26-16, 06:33 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhoenixAsh
would love to see some photos. I'm excited. I may just buy a set for mine as well.
Haven't taken any photos yet of it on the road, but have some against my garage door.

LED vs 9012 HIR

LED

Quick Reply: What was the first modification (if any) on your RX300?